Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Old Photo Trivia » Archive through February 20, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5173
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For fun. What is the building in the photo below? Where is it? What was it called when it was built, and what is it called now?

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks a little like the Fox & Hounds, but this looks smaller.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5175
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not Fox & Hounds.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 763
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rest stop on telegraph road in either dearborn or redford twp.

now a motel

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5177
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, not a rest stop turned motel.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Packard proving grounds?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5180
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not the Packard proving grounds.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5239
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big Rock Chop House. Looks like a Kahn or Marr design. It was a railway station in the 20's. What do I win?

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 427
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Albans?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5181
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You win the satisfaction of being correct!

Big Rock Chophouse, formerly the Birmingham Grand Trunk and Western Railroad Depot

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6560
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, I wouldn't rule out S,H & G. either on that one... Could also be a GTRR house architect, although I've never seen that tudor revival style in a station before...

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 629
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

building info:

http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/hs o/sites/22488.htm

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2142
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God knows I took the train from that station in and out of Detroit quite a few times in my childhood, and my dad was a regular customer on the Grand Trunk commuter at that station, too. The commuter even had a club car for the outbound patrons. Once I recall Dad stayed a little too long in the club car, did not get off in Birmingham, but called us from Pontiac and we had to drive up Woodward and bring him home from there.
The station had only one waiting room and you entered it as you came in the front door. That's because you "waited" for the inbound train from Pontiac to go downtown. Very few people took the station outbound ( other than from downtown) so they only had a platform on the outbound side,no waiting room as such.
To get to the outbound side of the station, you went through the lobby and took the steps down and then through a corridor underneath the tracks and then walked up the steps and you were then on the outbound platform.
I still have my February 1957 1500 page "Official RR Guide" which shows that back then there were 7 passenger trains a day running between Pontiac and Detroit.
We are finally going to try out the Big Rock Chophouse next week as we have heard good things about it. I doubt we will see Mr. Wichman who was the ticket master in the late 40's.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 429
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

went to Big Rock a couple weeks ago. Better have Big Wallet! everything is a la carte!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5185
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Opening day celebration at the Birmingham station.

Rock - Try the steak bites with chop sauce. Delicious!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6137
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big Rock Steakhouse is named for the big rocks you needs to get out.

Thanks to The Rock for his colorful descriptions of life back when he commuted down to daddy's office or took the train North to Pontiac.

Johnlodge, Patrick deserves a reward of some sort for this great ident. and jjaba hopes you challenge us more with future pics. People love the Detroit Trivia quizzes.

jjaba, Westsider, on the NY Central to Niles.

Patrick

Post Number: 5240
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Albert H. Aldinger and George B. Walbridge?? I think they were the builders, but I am convinced that they didnt actually design it. It is possible that they bought a stock design and worked from that. i thought there was a Burrowes Library that looked similar to that in redford.

Patrick

Post Number: 5241
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyhow, that style of architecture died in the late 30's. There were variations during the 40's but nothing as remarkable as the traditional English revival designs of pre1929. The masonry designs surrounding the main door was probably bought out of a catalog, rather than hand-built on site.

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why would jjaba take the train to Niles?

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick.....
.....according to the Michigan State Historic Preservation website, the station was not built until 1930, which would coinside with the moving of the GTW tracks (and the abandonment of the Detroit United Railway) away from the Woodward corridor in the late '20's.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 493
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gandy Dancer?

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 172
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23, I think that's the Niles Train Station... with jjaba on the platform ;)

JohnLodge: Next one, please!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6138
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Qdaddy77, what a Richardson Romanesque Revivial pile if there ever was one. Thanks for the greeting card from Niles, Michigan station stop.

jjaba, on the NY Central at Kalamazoo.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2754
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never stopped along the way. My stop was Chicago, and from there to suburban Hinsdale. Spent many a summer day there, happy and not worrying about the Dexter bus running me over when I played ball in the street.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6561
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with you Patrick, I don't think those fellows did anything but build.

I looked in the SH&G Book, no record of it, you might be right with Burrowes.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to be a model railroad club layout in the attic room of the station. Wonder if it's still there?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5195
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

To get to the outbound side of the station, you went through the lobby and took the steps down and then through a corridor underneath the tracks and then walked up the steps and you were then on the outbound platform.

The corridor underneath the tracks still exists, too. It is now one of BRC's dining areas.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5197
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Used to be a model railroad club layout in the attic room of the station. Wonder if it's still there?

This I am not sure about, though the only upstairs I know of was turned into Got Rocks Ultralounge.

In this image, you are looking up at Got Rocks from the main floor, so obviously this room does not extend over the entire main floor. Had you ever visited this attic room? Can you identify it by this image?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5199
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright, let's do another one. As a youngin', I lived pretty close to this. Except all that was left was one building.

What was this, and where was this?

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edgewater, Grand River & 7 Mile?