Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Ford Benzol gasolene for cars « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember when a lot of gas stations in the Detroit area used to sell Ford Benzol??
Waste gas from coke ovens was used to make tar, Benzol, gas for lighting and other chemical by-products. Seems like old man Ford had some good ideas. It was higher octane too ,from what I remember

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good ideas? That sounds like it was loaded with more harmful stuff than even the old leaded gasoline!

I wonder if they had to do a particulate matter of 2.5 microns test back then?

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 320
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a station in the early 50's selling benzene, which is similar to and sometimes the same as benzene. Benzene is very carcinogenic and I remember loving the sweet odor of the stuff. Having survived some 50+ years since the exposure, I suppose I can't sue anyone.

It was a good fuel for cars at the time and sold at a premium price. the station was on Fenkell east of Greenfield. The pump was gold in color and the attendants who pumped the stuff made a lot of talk of its advantages (I guess not to them).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.