Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Charlie LeDuff coming to the Detroit News « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LeDuff has become one of the best known newspaper writers in America over the past few years.It will be interesting to see what he tackles in Detroit. Anybody heard of him?

Original story was on Detroit Book Blog.

(Message edited by Macknwarren on February 21, 2008)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3530
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is he actually coming to Detroit or is he just hiring on as a writer with the News?

Wiki and LeDuff website

(Message edited by lilpup on February 20, 2008)

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Romanesko column at poynter, yeah he's relocating from California to metro Detroit:

http://poynter.org/forum/view_ post.asp?id=13117

Lilpup

Post Number: 3531
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who don't know the name, LeDuff's the guy who wrote about a Wayne County body collector for the NY Times a while back.

edit to add: He does come with some heavy baggage. We'll see how things go.

(Message edited by lilpup on February 20, 2008)

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 944
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently, he's originally from the D, states that his family is anyway.

Go to his website, multimedia, there's a decent piece on Tiger Stadium w/ Ernie interview.

I think it's excellent, welcome to the city bro.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3532
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livonia Churchill graduate, then UMich undergrad, Cal-Berkeley grad

google and you'll get a lot of hits

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 688
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw his 'Only In America' series on the Discovery/NY Times TV channel. The episode 'The Real 8 Mile' was an interesting piece. Charlie LeDuff is indeed an accomplished journalist, Pulitzer Prize winning writer as a matter of fact. So, in all fairness, this is welcoming news.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He must want a super house at a super great price.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3539
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My only real concern is the couple of charges of plagiarism.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2327
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"'I can't write the things I want to say. I want to talk about race, I want to talk about class. I want to talk about the things we should be talking about,' he said."
http://detroitbookblog.com/

Think that his opinions and thoughts on these issues will help metro D work through these problems, or is he the type of guy that just stirs things up?

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My only real concern is the couple of charges of plagiarism.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 325
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met him at a screening for "The Real 8 Mile." Very interesting dude. It'll be interesting to see what he does in this crazy news town.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5293
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Downtownguy. Took me a second.

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like he has his first piece today:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20088031403 83

Who killed Tamara Greene?
Charlie LeDuff / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- Her real name was Tamara Greene, an arresting, thick-bodied stripper known as Strawberry. By now her death is the stuff of Detroit legend, a whodunit of sex and politics and power...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.