Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Pleasantly surprised for a change (car insurance) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 796
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I share this for those Detroiters who are (like I was) frustrated over high car insurance in the city.

My car, which until recently has lived a quiet suburban life in Plymouth, had to move. So I thought I'm going to give it another try and get quotes with my REAL address in Detroit. Remembering a thread discussing car insurance for the umpteens time, I followed the advice of a fellow poster (I believe it was NeilR, to give him credit) and called the AAA office downtown, in the Dime building. The lady was very nice and after asking me all the required questions called me back a couple of hours later with a quote. Lo and behold, it was actually very reasonable and affordable. Basically I will be paying only about $35 more per month than on my Plymouth insurance. So my advice is, give it a try as well, if you want a proof of insurance certificate and a driver's license with matching Detroit addresses.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I too followed Neil's advice and cut our insurance in HALF. AAA in the Dime Building works for us!

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, We went with Liberty Mutual. and it was quite refreshing.

Scout
Username: Scout

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting. We just switched to AAA, also. Much better rates than Farmer's (and when we told them the better rate at AAA, the response was basically, "Huh. How about that.").

The office we worked with is on Outer Drive and Southfield.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2966
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How does the insurance rates work for young drivers (under 30)? This is the population targe age range the city of Detroit needs to revive the area.

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, too, got a very reasonable rate from AAA. In fact, I stripped down the coverage and ended up with a LOWER rate than what I paid in the suburbs.

I did have trouble with actually making the switch because AAA shuffled me around a lot and one person in particular said she'd call me back and never did even after I left several return voicemails. Then when I gave up on her and had another agent process my address change, she was sitting at the desk next to him, very busily not returning my calls.

They told me they "switched systems", whatever that means, but it was good, because the quote I got several months earlier for the same address from them was very high.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11759
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A positive thread on car insurance in Detroit? NO WAY! I can't complain about my coverage through State Farm on Jefferson, my rates have dropped every year since I've had them.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.