Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Mayor Says Detroit Can Hire 500 New Cops » Archive through February 20, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is he joking? Meeting with the City Council today he said Detroiters are not passing drug screens and physicals.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 841
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he also said "black people" were the "desirable" cadets. apparently whites need not apply

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3533
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"not passing drug screens and physicals"

Temp agency in Ann Arbor says the same thing - employers are having trouble finding qualified people who pass the test. Mostly pot I'm sure. It hangs around so long.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 842
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you're right - he specifically said it was the marijuana issue

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 461
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unbelievable he would discriminate as to color, Imagine if the city of Warren said that "white people" are "desirable" cadets... Every NAACP and civil right organization would have them in court. This is getting way over the edge for some of us. I guess if your white, hispanic or arabic your not suppose to matter.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2724
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

he also said "black people" were the "desirable" cadets. apparently whites need not apply

Hmm.

quote:

Kilpatrick said the city needs about 500 more cops, but is having a hard time getting the right types of cadets --whom he described as black or Detroiters -- into the academy. He said the city has 300 openings for police officers and only 40 cadets in the police academy.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080220/METRO /802200449

Yup, exactly what he said.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5273
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty obvious that he's playing the race card again, just like during his last election. However, this time, the cops aren't black enough. That should please his core constituency.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3535
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All white cops in a predominantly black city causes problems. We've been down that road before.

"Imagine if the city of Warren said that "white people" are "desirable" cadets"

Warren doesn't have to say it. How many minority cops do they have on their force?

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Black or Detroiters? That's just as offensive.
So if you're black you get a free pass...you can live in Southfield, Farmington, Ohio, wherever, but if you're something else you better at least be a Detroiter.
This thug mayor likes to routinely discriminate against over one hundred thousand of his own citizens for his own political gain alone. As one of them, I've had more than enough of his race-baiting bullshit. You'll get yours in the next election or recall, homie.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 965
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm white and I live IN the city. I actually prefer black cops over whites. My experiences with white cops in Detroit has been less than satisfactory. I am not saying this issue of race is right or wrong, but from what I have seen the "black cops" have been better than the "white cops" in my personal experiences.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 881
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well yeah he doesn't want all white officers policing a black city. Make sense. What doesn't is why he can't find enough black men to fill the jobs.

A starting officer makes 28K a year?? Is that true?
I knew it was low, but I thought more like 34K low. Wow.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5274
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Accept this action on Kilpatrick's part for what it is. He's started to run for a third term, and his campaign strategy is fairly obvious.

This should come as no surprise because it was suggested a few times in the press over the past three weeks what his reelection strategy would entail.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Well yeah he doesn't want all white officers policing a black city. Make sense."

I'm not detecting any sarcasm in that statement Vas, so I'm taking it literal. Yeah you're right it does make sense. God knows I don't want any black cops in my white community either.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 843
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps the Mayor should be recruiting the best and the brightest to police the streets - not limiting his choices based on race. Sure, I agree that Detroiters should have an advantage, but c'mon.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3536
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"God knows I don't want any black cops in my white community either."

wrong parallel - Detroit has quite a few white cops

Thames

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup- I was responding to Vas's statement. I think both statements are ridiculous. No wonder this region is so divided.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1645
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, you should just read how the people act in this region on the Dream Cruise and Cobo plan threads.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3537
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know you were responding to Vas. The difference between your statements is that Vas wrote ALL while you wrote ANY.

Thames

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How would all white officers end up policing a black community? I missed that part.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First off, what interest or incentive does any white cop have in a Black city in correcting the condition to which Blacks face on a daily bases.

Secondly, what amazes me about 'basic white people', is that they claim that Black people blame 'the man' and ask for 'hand-outs', much to often. So then, when we(Blacks), particularly our leaders, make our own decisions, based on our own group and institutional need...(by the way, predicated upon the 'amerikkkana tradition' of 'group power' or majority rules), then they fuss about so-called reverse racism__Pleeeeze, it more like a reaction to the history of inequalities, racism, and white supremacy__go figure!

The reality is, the great Black leader of our city understands the importance of self-empowerment being most important, in this matter specifically, it's the one way that Blacks can continue on the road to reach racial competitiveness in 'amerikkka'.

Until Blacks in 'amerikkka' collectively aspires to acquire it's own power to alter our marginal conditions, it is highly unlikely the we will ever see true freedom...AIN'T THAT WHAT 'BASIC WHITE' PEOPLE KEEP SAYING...make up your mind.

blksoul-atcha!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1648
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell 'em blksoul!

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Per some comments, I guess a basic question to be asked is, should white people divest in an apartheid run government.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 233
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a more elementary question would be why would anyone black or white, want to risk their lives for $28k a year?

PS: I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with blksoul!!

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 265
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what to make of these statements posted by D'Yes'rs...or the mayor...Either way, self imposed segregation is not what Dr. King was striving for.

I don't get it, if any white politician made a remark that vulgar, Jesse and Al would be standing outside the Mansion calling for the mayors head. But a black man says it, and its considered normal? Come on...wake up...shit like this happened 60 years ago. We bitch and moan about the status quo being what it is, yet everyone buys into the system...I sometimes question humanity.

Vas

Post Number: 882
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks Lilpup. Some people want to fight about race so bad they forget to really read the correct words.

D_mcc

Post Number: 266
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Furthermore...its not a black/white thing...its a class thing...the sooner we all figure that out, the sooner we can start pushing for real change in our country.

It doesn't matter what color your skin is if you are only worth welfare to the government...

Thames

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This whole thread is disgusting.

Not all blacks are African by the way and not all Africans are black. Don't your heads explode over that one.

Vas

Post Number: 883
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woa?
Is that Rasputin coming back as blksoul?

But see here's the problem with all the white seekers of racial parity. I don't agree with straight out verbal attacks against whites, but you can not have this racial parity where everything black people say has to be flipped and asked if vice versa it would be called racist. Why?
"Shit like this happened 60 years ago...."
Correction shit like this has happened for 350 years. Slavery, de facto slavery, Jim Crow, lynching, slums, civil rights ect....350 years of oppression.

So just chill out with trying to call black people racist and see that history weighs heavy a lot of folks.
blksoul is right, this is a way for blacks to clean up their city and make a living at it. support that. Support someone trying to get black men a decent job and something to build a family off of.

But everything isn't black and white, so don't let people shot each other for shallow pride or leave their children fatherless......that has nothing to do with race relations and everything to do with selfishness and arrogance. Can any of your race spaz's know when to hold the line?...don't worry its natural. and terrible

D_mcc

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vas...I never once said blacks were racist, that was an assumption you made by reading my post. Also, My comment referring to 60 years ago was not meant to imply that discrimination was limited to that time, so please refrain from making that assumption also.

My point is this. Self imposed segregation from one side or the other does NOTHING to solve the inherent problems within our societies. Its like saying...it was like this before, so I will continue the behavior. Textbook definition of insanity. People Kwame's age should be setting an example to those younger than him on how to behave in a situation.

He could have done a lot more for unification of Blacks and whites, while simultaneously "trying to get black men a decent job" by reaching out for cooperation in times when the city and the region needs it.

Are blacks the only ones unemployed in these times? Does the recession only affect whites? No...it does not, we are all hurting. I said it before, and I will state it again...it has less to do with race, then it does with class and money.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 575
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple thoughts...

I get what he's doing. Blksoul has a point (I wouldn't call him "great" but that's another issue all together). After all, the city is 80%+ black - it would make sense the police department roughly represents it's citizens. Frankly, a police force not representative of it's population causes trouble anywhere in the world.

However, I could see an entrepreneurial attorney making a field day of this. There is a lot of sympathy and money behind the abolish affirmative action and preferences movement, and I think he may have just opened himself up to another lawsuit and the iron is hot.

He just admitted that there are racial preferences in hiring, and that is none too popular right now judging by recent events.