Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Old Photo Trivia » Archive through February 20, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5216
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 775
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL-
Great fun. Great clues. Keep 'em coming.

Single_malt
Username: Single_malt

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that at Grand River and Orchard Lake?

Yes, this is good...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5262
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew what that DUR building was from the first shot... Actually, the location on the other side of GR was the bulk of the operation--its car barns and such.

That set of buildings shown served as the coal-fired electrical power station and housed some offices. As to a brewery, I thought it was a winery instead.

There's a historical plaque out there describing some details.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5217
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY, who said brewery? Read through the thread.

Alright next up:

This company circa 1880's started out manufacturing one product, and then had a promotion where if you bought that product, you got a free gift. Turned out, the gift they gave out was more popular than the original product, and the company switched over to manufacturing that instead. VERY little of this structure remains.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5218
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Much better view.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6140
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Stove Works.
jjaba.

ps. I had guessed Train Power Plant on last one but was several hours too late. Great work Ray1936 and excellent HOF thread here developing with johnlodge at the controls.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5219
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, it is not Detroit Stove Works. Thanks for the fine compliment. I'm learning quite a bit myself while digging up extra info for hints and such!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2146
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! I jut clicked on, and I see we have now gone from depots to roller coasters to the Lasalle Winery and now to a building I can't identify ( though the water tower reminds me of the old tower of the Riley Stoker Company that used to be well East of Renaissance Center.)
Can't wait for lodge's next photo-a funeral home? fire hall? You name it. He must have it.
Oh yes, I would have been no help on the Lasalle Winery. The only building I ever visited on Grand River in Farmington was the (Governor) Warner mansion and that's because one of his daughters was my Aunt Helen.

Mikefive
Username: Mikefive

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Globe Tobacco Company

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5220
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is neither Riley Stoker nor Globe Tobacco.

Clue: The company originally started out making Windmills. As I mentioned, they started giving a gift to customers who purchased one of their Windmills, and the gifts were so popular, they became the focus of the company.

Mikefive
Username: Mikefive

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouth Iron Windmill Company. The popular product was BB Guns

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5221
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are correct, do you know the more modern name of the company? (They still exist, but left for the south in the early 60's)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 777
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

suburb or city?

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daisy Manufacturing Co.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5222
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct, Daisy Manufacturing, maker of Daisy Air Rifles.

Today, the "Daisy Square" condominium development sits there.

Though one wall remains as a testament to days past. At least it did as of the date of this picture, September of last year.

Well done, guys.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5223
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Without the lettering blacked out.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, here is info about the house that the owner of Daisy Manufacturing, William Markham, built for his secretary and mistress:

http://www.plymouthpreservatio n.org/markhamhouse-1.html

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5224
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent find Alan! Thanks.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2147
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How 'bout that? Daisy Manufacturing Company. Just checked down in the basement and pulled out my son's Daisy Air Rifle, vintage 1981. The box describes it as a "Model 99 Champion 700 shot Target Repeater". Still looks pretty clean. The box says "Daisy Manufacturing Company, Rogers, Arkansas." So much for dear old Plymouth, Michigan.
I know I had a good old Red Rider Daisy when I was a kid.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5230
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Daisy headed for warmer pastures circa 1961.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4553
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pics and thread JohnLodge.

How well I remember the Walled Lake roller coaster. I had my first roller coaster ride on it when our sixth grade safety patrol was taken for an outing at the park as a reward for our service. It looked pretty rickety and I wondered if it was ready to fall down. But, as a boy in the era, you got 'chickened' in to doing things.

So I got in with a friend. There was a pull down lap bar hinged to the front of the cart to hold onto and help keep you in the seat.

As soon as we made the first plunge we found out that the bar's lock was broken and it raised and lowered with the twists and turns, lifting us off our seats when it did. It was terrifying, to say the least, and I was sure we were going to be flung out to our death.

I got on too late to nail the Interurban power station, but I would add that there were also car 'barns' across the street. It was also the junction where the Orchard Lake line from Pontiac met the Grand River line. I would love to buy it, it borders on the Upper Rouge too, but I'd bet it is loaded with asbestos.

It is truly a sad loss that the interurban and, more importantly, its rights of way were lost.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It particularly galling that the Daisy Museum is down in Nowhere, Arkansas, instead of Plymouth, where everything began.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6143
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent stuff, with 3 zingers from the suburbs. No wonder jjaba can't nail them. He's never been there. What am I, chopped liver?

johnlodge, excellent thread.
jjaba.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4599
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHAHAHA! Rewarding a safety patrol with a ride on a rickety roller coaster with a faulty safety bar.

I can hear it now. "Here kid. This'll teach you to be so gol-durned concerned about safety."

It would have made a great scene in A Christmas Story.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6144
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do,
I'm half-crazy, all for the love of you...

I'll buy you a horse and carriage,
if I can have your hand in marriage...

And we'll look sweet, upon the street
on a bicycle built for two.

jjaba, many Detroit references here..

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems to me that you could not buy a BB gun in the city of Detroit back in the 50's ,I think they had some kind of law against them?? I might be wrong. I remember going out to Plymouth with my Dad to buy a Daisy gun at the factory. They had refurbished ones at a cheaper price than a new one.I remember a real nice Wood lobby with glass cases holding all kinds of guns from the past. I still have that BB gun. It is a pump. Every once in a while I pour a few drops of oil down the barrel and cycle tha action in order to keep the seals from getting hard. Still works fine. Some of the models are worth quite a bit of money . There was 3 different companies from what I know. A guy named Hamilton ,working for the windmill co., came with the idea of the air rifle and offered it to the head of the windmill co. Mr. Hough. He liked it so much he exclaimed that it was a "Daisy" so the named the company that.The Markham/king air rifle was also made right next door I think.

http://www.daisyking.com/histo ry/markham.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~jimri ngbauer/HamiltonRiflesindex.ht ml

Interesting is that Charles H. Bennett, who was the president of Daisy Air Rifle in 1903 was one of the original 12 investors in Ford Motor Co. He invested $5000.
Hamilton also made real rifles (.22 cal.)
They were all made in that one small area of Plymouth.

Newportnic
Username: Newportnic

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a property manager for the Telephone Co, and I believe that when we let our lease on the third floor lapse, it was the last straw for the "Markham Building" as it was called then. I thought it made for a hansom office building, with elevators and an atrium in the center. But then I like old buildings with a great story.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were those glass cabinets still in the lobby??

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 194
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're asking $4.25 MILLION for that house & property? Wow. The house alone is $1.4 million. AND a fixer-upper.

Johnlodge, thank you for a great thread!