Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Sophie Womack « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure if there has been an earlier thread on this, but sadly, it was reported earlier this week that Detroit has lost one of its most effective and selfless community leaders. Sophie Womack, M.D. died last Sunday at the young age of 53. http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080222/FEA TURES01/802220415 She was a remarkable woman who devoted her time to dozens and dozens of humanitarian causes in Detroit over the years. She knew everybody. She never became a limelight hog. She contributed her time, not just her name or her money to so many causes. Selflessness, integrity, hard work, i.e., excellence. Detroit would be a much better place of most of our elected leaders had a fraction of Dr. Womack's abilities.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 443
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what a wonderful lady.

She and I were table mates at a Rhonda Walker Foundation event...she shared her waffles with me - a total stranger.

she will be missed.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I usually would see her out and about at many social events. She seemed to be a very nice woman.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 402
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She sounds like she was a wonderful person. The article mentions that she died from complications from surgery. Being a physician herself, I would think her care would be extraordinary. It's not too often you read of someone passing away from complications. Does anyone have any insite on what type of surgery was performed on her? I have an idea but will wait to see if my feelings are shared by others.

My deepest sympathy to her family and friends.

Cincinnati_kid
Username: Cincinnati_kid

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it was Gastric bypass surgery.

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a hysterectomy. Sophie was a woman that everyone should try to emulate.

I am somewhat surprised at the lack of outpouring of emotion from board members.

Sophie did more for the good of Detroit than any 100 people I know, all without being asked. She made the world a better place.

Always a smile, she had the uncanny ability to make everyone she met a friend.

My deepest sympathies.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2980
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She will be very much missed. She was a prominent Detroiter. My family attended the funeral. So many doctors, officials and everyday people packed the church. She is in the kingdom of heaven. God bless her.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 238
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From my understanding, she was having a hysterectomy and lipo. Sad thing losing a leader and advocate for the citizens.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.