Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Six cop cars--w/guns drawn- to make stop on GP/Det border??? « Previous Next »
Archive through February 23, 2008Lefty230 02-23-08  12:03 pm
Archive through February 23, 2008Buyamerican30 02-23-08  6:10 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3567
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Miss Cleo back again under yet another name? (Outoftown)

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been reading everyones post and as a parent of 3 off spring who are in Law Enforcement, 1 in Detroit, 1 in the Burbs and 1 in Toledo, may I please add my 2 cents.

I had 2 of my kids read all threads and their conclusion, what was witnessed was a "Felony Stop"
and that incident was probably initiated by a plain clothes crew be it a Detroit Narcotics Crew, Wayne County Sheriff Felony Task Force, State Police Auto Theft Task Force, DEA, ATF or any number of other different agencies.
The plain clothes guys often request that a stop be made in neighborhood unfamiliar with the guys they want so in case they decide to bolt on foot, they don't have a sense of direction or where a safe place to run and hide is....the local cops know which directions the streets and alleys run.
To make a stop like this, they were watching these guys for awhile...it wasn't your DWB type situation.

For anyone who feels they are being hasselled for DWB, my Burb PD son says they have the right to ask to see the Video - Audio when they get to court. 99% of Police Cars in Michigan are camera equiped but warns to be careful, you may not like what you see yourself doing or hear yourself saying. The camera and microphone don't lie.
The DWB that he was accused of last year, his video showed the female driver, doing 40 in a 25 School Zone, Blew a Red Light making a Right Turn...didn't even slow down and had 2 young children both under age 5 unrestrained bouncing in the back seat. When he pulled her over, the 1st thing she did was play the race card and continued until she got into court with a noted local civil rights atty.....he produced the tape and showed it....the atty became highly agitated with his client and highly embarrassed and advised his client to apologise and plead guily.
The Detroit PD son says they make more DWW stops simply because....what are these people doing in this hood....looking for drugs, illegal dumping, prostitution.

I'm not saying that DWB doesn't exhist because it probably does but I know each officer is constantly reminded that it is a serious civil rights violation, and your stop had better be on the up and up because if your not, your career is down the toilet and the city is gonna be paying big bucks to settle

The impeding traffic plead is a game that the district courts play. They almost allow each violation that comes into the court to be plead because an impeding traffic charge carries no points but these fines are almost doubled or in some court tripled and this is how the traffic magistrate, distric court judges and prosecutors are paid. The street officers do not like it one bit becuase they are told to write violation, especially in areas where traffic accidents and injuries happen daily or where they get citizen complaints.

Thanks for letting me chime in

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty, It sounds like your friend was guilty of DWW. Don't be doin that in the city!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1975
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still wondering what race Lefty's friend is when he's not with his friends.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2739
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse Pointe
Grosse Pointe
Grosse Pointe
Grosse Pointe
Grosse Pointe
Grosse Pointe
Grosse Pointe
Grosse Pointe
Grosse Pointe
Grosse Pointe
Grosse Pointe
Grosse Pointe
Grosse Pointe
Grosse Pointe

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

e

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Birwood, for your most eloquent and informative post.

See, everyone - we don't know much until we actually know someone who does the job. We really shouldn't have much to say, making judgements against cops and making up stories.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 248
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm not saying that DWB doesn't exhist because it probably does... "

Thank you

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DWW probably ex(h)ists too.

Thank you

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 792
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.grossepointenews.co m/SiteElist-1895.112112_Crime_ briefs.html?-token.menusecloop tracking=1&-token.menuitemloop tracking=108

looks like most of the arrests are DWS ... driving while stupid

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2538
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse Pointe PARK is NOT the same city as Grosse Pointe.

The GPP police sit at the dealership on Mack just before you get to Berkshire. Yeah, they are speed traps- because they concentrate solely on the border region rather than more "internal" streets such as Kerchval.

(Message edited by mauser765 on February 24, 2008)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The human race my friend.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 329
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You also have to be carefull with the parking meters in the GPP just before six at night. They like to check them just before 6 along areas like Sierra Station.

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe if people knew how to drive they wouldn't get pulled over. I've been pulled over twice in 12 years, once when I was 16 for having a light out and once when I was 21 for blowing a stop sign.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2780
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a ticket for a stop sign in 1954. It was the last time I've been stopped. No accidents, either.

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it is easier to say it is a DWB issue, but really, the police in the Pointes are just very aggressive ticketers. I drive down Mack everyday, and everyday I see people pulled over. Most of the time they are white women in SUVs. I have been pulled twice- once for going 3 miles per hour over, and once because my tag was expiring that month (it had not expired yet- I think they were just hoping to get a ticket out of it).

In the Grosse Pointe Times (I think, it is the free one sent out every other week) there is a little section where they have blurbs about crime in the area. It seems a really large amount of the arrests they make for other crimes come from these traffic stops. Obviously they catch lots of drunk drivers, but the speeding and tail light offenses seem to lead to finding people who have outstanding warrants, or drugs/alcohol in their car, or stolen property on them. I would think that would figure in to why the police area so aggressive about pulling everyone over. It is like they are fishing- they toss out a wide net and hope they will catch a bigger fish caught up with the minnows. The stories always state where the person arrested was from and the people seem to be primarily be residents of the Pointes, from Detroit, or from somewhere nearby like Eastpointe or SCS, so it is not like they are just targeting African Americans. They are targeting anything that moves.

I think a good basic rule would just to make sure your car is in order and watch your speed if you are traveling through. If you happen to have something in your car, or something in your past that is not quite on the up-and-up, you might do well to use public transport or get a ride. You cannot get pulled over without reason, so don't give them one.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11685
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aoife,

BIG cheers for that post.

Thank you for a voice of reason.

Sincerely,
John

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =uj0mtxXEGE8

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 330
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birwood and Aiofe win this thread.

Thanks, Birwood, for reminding us that traffic stops are filmed, so you don't end up with "cop's word against yours" situations much anymore.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 463
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GP is a challenging driving area no doubt. My 76 year old mother ( white, Canadian license plates) was pulled over several years ago by police as they stated she was driving to slow as she was trying to find a street she was unfamiliar with. I asked her how she felt about it, she stated she deserved to be pulled over as she was driving slow and that she was impressed that the police were on top of things.. My first reaction was that it was good to see someone recognize responsibility for their own actions. The officer told her she would be ticketed possibly next time but let her go with a warning to drive with the flow of traffic speed. Interesting how attitudes differ when challenged by police. Last time I checked it was called the law.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 698
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The impeding traffic plead is a game that the district courts play. They almost allow each violation that comes into the court to be plead because an impeding traffic charge carries no points but these fines are almost doubled or in some court tripled and this is how the traffic magistrate, district court judges and prosecutors are paid. The street officers do not like it one bit because they are told to write violation, especially in areas where traffic accidents and injuries happen daily or where they get citizen complaints.

A game ? Please don't tell us that the courts and the cops are all in this "game" together hand-in-hand to prey on us.

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darwin, No the cops are not in it together with the courts.

The street cops are told to write tickets and enforce the Michigan Motor Vehicle Code and Local Traffic Ordinances.
Many groups, like MADD, NHTSA, School PTA's, Block Clubs, Neighborhood Watch actively watch and monitor traffic flows on certain neighborhood streets, during certain time periods and they do show up at the Police Chiefs office or local city council meetings with there own surveys and pictures in hand demanding action be taken, because their little "Skippy" damn near go his little ass road waffled on his skate board cutting out between the parked cars and then point the finger at the car driver, as being guilty
Some communities, like the GP's, Taylor, Trenton, Southgate, Dearborn Hgts, enforce it more than others.

As for the "Impeding Traffic" that all takes place in the courtroom. Next time you get a ticket, go to court and providing its not an accident, ask the Referee or Magistrate, if you can plead guilty to an "Impeding Traffic" charge instead of the orginal charge. I'll bet they'll agree to it, cause its a bigger fine plus court cost and no points on your record. Don't forget, this is how your local district courts are funded, by Traffic and Ordinance Violations. The local PD's rarely see this money or if they do, it isn't very much.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2998
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just avoid Grosse Pointe! It's simple, folks.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Just avoid Grosse Pointe! It's simple, folks."

For far eastsiders, that's rather hard to do.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1979
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And remember, kids, don't go to any place where you can't just do whatever you want and get away with it!

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 331
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as you keep it close to the limit you will be OK in GP. The Woods you always have to watch it no matter what street your on. Mack and Lakeshore/Jefferson are always streets to watch it on anywhere in GP.

Outoftown
Username: Outoftown

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Just avoid Grosse Pointe! It's simple, folks."

I think what you meant to say was-
"Just don't break the law! it's simple, folks."

Eastside_cat
Username: Eastside_cat

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 4:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever walk down a tree lined street in Grosse Pointe in the spring or summer, reminds me of walking down a tree lined street in Detroit back in the 50's. The fact that the city is a virtual Leave it to Beaverville, is in large part a result of tax dollars that underwrite the GPP Police, a group of talented professionals that prevent crime rather than just take the report after the fact. Wear your vest boys those Detroiters are well armed.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 701
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birwood, thanks for sharing your insights and your law enforcement children's experiences with us.

quote:

As for the "Impeding Traffic" that all takes place in the courtroom. Next time you get a ticket, go to court and providing its not an accident, ask the Referee or Magistrate, if you can plead guilty to an "Impeding Traffic" charge instead of the original charge. I'll bet they'll agree to it, cause its a bigger fine plus court cost and no points on your record. Don't forget, this is how your local district courts are funded, by Traffic and Ordinance Violations. The local PD's rarely see this money or if they do, it isn't very much.

I am rather concerned about this notion that the local district courts are funded through Traffic and Ordinance Violations, especially "impeding traffic" ticket charges. I don't know what to think. That just doesn't sound right, because when there is a shortage of money - the first order of business would be to target drivers.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 423
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside_cat, you are absolutely right. Detroit, back in the 50's was a wonderful, safe place to be. Grosse Pointe may have high taxes, but you get something back in return. The Police Departments in all the Pointes are concerned about the citizens, the traffic laws, and are on top of things quickly. Keep up the good work.

Outoftown

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, no, no- BA and ESC are wrong. Rather than Detroiters aspiring to live like the residents in the GPs, the GPs must be pulled DOWN to the level of Detroit. To expect Detroit to raise itself up is wholly unfair, exploitive, racist, and unreasonable. Come on now, if you guys had gone to a top 15 university, like Northwestern let's say, then you would be well educated enough to understand this idea.

Eastside_cat

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outoftown
I dig the sarcasm, made me smile.

Eastside_cat

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, CMU GRAD school alumni not sure if we made the Sports Illustrated top 10 swimsuit ed or not.
:-)

Ici6671
Username: Ici6671

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Living in Grosse Pointe has it's perks. Among them, excellent police protection. We pay incredibly high taxes, in part, so that we know that if someone from Detroit drives into our neighborhood with less than honorable intentions, they will get pulled over by six cop cars with guns drawn.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11348
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So only Detroiters come to GP with less than honrable intentions. Nice.

I should move so if I came from Harper Woodws with less than honorable intentions I would get a free pass.

Outoftown

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good idea JT1, but then you would be a quitter.

Jt1

Post Number: 11349
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll probably get a free pass from Ic's glances regardless of my intentions since I don't look like a 'Detroiter'. :-)

Ici6671
Username: Ici6671

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are you Implying Jt? Do you have something to say?

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 230
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plenty of Grosse Pointe's finest are actually ex-Detroit police who left for various reasons.

Many are good officers who are honest guys. They don't racially profile. It's unfortunate the above mentioned officers in the previous posts (and I will admit there are a few out there...) ruin it for the rest of the force.

Jt1

Post Number: 11356
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What are you Implying Jt? Do you have something to say?

I was not implying anything, I was saying it. Of course your statement

quote:

so that we know that if someone from Detroit drives into our neighborhood with less than honorable intentions, they will get pulled over by six cop cars with guns drawn.

was completely innocent. Can you describe these 'Detroiters'. Why did you single out Detroiters? Questions you may want to ask yourslef.

Jt1

Post Number: 11357
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalu - I think that is the case with the vast majority of officers. The majority in any PD are hard working people that are willing to do a job that many/most of us would not. That is why the focus muct remain on those that profile, are corrupt, etc.

Ignoring the bad apples hurts the residents and the hard working decent officers.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.