Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Share experiences with police in metro Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 696
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about experiences that we have had with the law in metro Detroit. Good as well as bad.
Ever encounter corruption or civil rights violations? Been given the break of a life time?
Ever been tased?

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't tase me, bro!

Terryh

Post Number: 697
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I seen of that video the young man shouldnt have been tased!

Tompage
Username: Tompage

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tasing was an appropriately safe (for both the suspect and officers, as well as the crowd) and efficient tactic for quickly taking the suspect into custody and removing him from the auditorium. No one was hurt. Yes, his nervous system was briefly disrupted, but if the officers had used batons or a swarm (bunch of officers pulling the guy down), his bruises and limbs would still be healing. And if the officers had used pepper spray, the crowd likely would have panicked. Good tactics on the parts of the officers.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 307
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't call me dude!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4618
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm usually a very cautious driver and don't drive very far from home so I can't recount many bad experiences in the short time since moving back to Michigan.

It was kind of humorous shortly after arriving though. My radar detector was getting triggered, sometimes several times a day, by seemingly ubiquitous squad cars. They must have been trying to establish probable cause I suppose, but I drive slow like a lowrider so no bite on that hook.

One day while innocently reading a newspaper in my car in a local park, a squad car strategically blocked my escape and the officer asked for my papers. He said someone had reported a suspicious character (presumably me) in the park. This was understandable since I have a badass car and a leather jacket and there was a children's Easter-egg hunt scheduled there that day.

With no outstanding warrants, he just asked me to move along. I cooperated.

The interesting part is that the radar detector alarms immediately stopped after that encounter. That tells me they were originally pinging me, desperate to ID a stranger but equally cautious of civil rights. That's the way police should act and I'm proud and respectful of them that they did so in that way. They were both diligent and respectful.

This was near Utica. Credit where credit is due.

Good idea for a thread topic, Terryh. I'm eager to see how this one pans out.

Sincerely aspiring to Tponetom's quality and regretfully falling short,

Jimaz

(Message edited by Jimaz on February 22, 2008)

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 830
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been impressed (so far) with the professionalism and the dedication that I have seen of the Detroit Police. Much better than the suburban cops where I live who seem to have nothing better to do than set up speed traps and harass people who aren't driving the newest cars.

Now, the Detroit Meter Maids on the other hand....grrrrr!

Austinjohn
Username: Austinjohn

Post Number: 317
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could tell some stories from when I lived in the D in the 70's and we would get real high on drugs and go to concerts. We always had encounters with DPD, but the memories may further damage my brain, so I better not go there.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 317
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They (DPD) write reports when people steal my shit. At this task of simply writing down accurate information that I dictate to them I give them a D+. Generally about half of the information I give them to write down ends up being inaccurately translated to their report.

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 258
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7 zZQuMDIk

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =uj0mtxXEGE8

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2339
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The MI state & Ferndale coppers have given me more of a break than did the Rochester PD or the Detroit PD--that's been my 4 experiences summed up.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 960
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My last experience with Law Enforcement in the Detroit area was in the winter of 2004 at DTW while in town for a funeral. I was scolded, but forgiven, for a minor traffic violation. The Officer actually patiently listened to my excuse for the infraction.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3592
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My experience? I came home one night to discover that my house had been broken into, and I suspected that the intruder was still inside on an upper floor. I called the Grosse Pointe police from a neighbor's house. Within 90 seconds three police cars came speeding down my street with their lights out; one stopped in front of my house, the second drove up my driveway and into my back yard!, and the third parked in my neighbor's driveway. A fourth car blocked the street and the end of my block, and a fifth, from a neighboring community, watched from a distance at the far end of my street. Before I could greet the police, I saw their flashlight beams through my bedroom windows. They searched the house from top to bottom, including the attic. Luckily (unfortunately?) they found no one, but that response was well worth the thousands I pay in property tax.

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have lived near the central business district for two years and have only had one incident where I needed to call the police. One day last summer a crackhead threw a brick through my neighbor's window--- he actually tried to break it three times before that but it just bounced off. I saw him do it and called the cops. They were here in seven minutes. An extremely professional sergeant arrived first, and within minutes two patrol officers arrived to canvas the neighborhood. they stayed almost half an hour. all were extremely professional and friendly.

(Message edited by wood on February 24, 2008)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 558
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It goes back a ways,

Some friends and I were in front of the East town theater, on concert night back in the summer of 1970.
Two Detroit cops hit the lights and asked a couple of questions while shining their flashlight around the vehicle.
They zeroed in on my buddy's new eight-track player with a secret FLUSH storage drawer, opened it up and took a nice baggie of herb out of there.
They then thanked the young gentlemen from the burbs and went on their way. No ticket!

Pissed and thankful at the same time.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 973
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last summer I was walking along the east side with two high school students that I mentor. We were walking and talking for about an hour.

We wandered up Jefferson and no more than 4 blocks after entering GP, we were stopped by a policeman. He questioned us as to what we were up to. Noticing that this could be a race issue (me white, 2 black students) I politely asked the officer to talk to me and keep my students aside.

He told me that he wanted us to "go back to Detroit to avoid trouble". Long story short, I was handcuffed for my unwillingness to cooperate with him. I believe our rights were violated. He released me only after my students began walking back to Detroit.

After writing a letter and making no less than 5 attempts to contact a supervisor at the police department, I gave up on my quest for justice, as I never received a response.

I do not hold what happened against the people of Grosse Pointe as some would. I hold it against a racist "public servant". I tell my students to respect everyone, regardless of race, religion, or way of life. I just wish others would learn to do this.

It pains me to see such abuse of power. I know it is an isolated instance, but I know it has left a bad taste in my mouth and that of my students. If I had not been trying to be a role model, I would have been more than willing to go to jail over such an issue.

Rant Over.

My only other experience with police in the metro area was a very helpful officer that helped me change a tire in Redford when he noticed I had a cast on my leg and could not easily fix the situation.

Terryh

Post Number: 700
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL@Austin.Youre situation concerns me and I feel you should have pursued the case with the appropriate ACLU? organization Detoitstar. Call problem solvers or one of the other news programs.Ferndale cops gave me a huge break when I backed into a guy who just pulled out of the rental car lot;no proof or anything.Ferndale responded within minutes when I caught some thieves trying to steal a truck and when my ex girlfriend was behaving erratically threatening me and my property. Had a 'misunderstanding' back in 98 with two plainclothes cops in an unmarked car on Woodward at Savannah: walking while white in Detroit. Got my bond money back with all charges dropped.I beleived they were A.junkies posing as cops set to rob me or B. they thought I was a homosexual because of the area.Long story I will have to write it out some other time. If I new then what I know now I would have pursued legal action. One attorney I spoke too wanted $800 dollars up front.The encounter with them 'police officers' was very humiliating and demeaning. With the exception of a few close confidants didnt discuss what happened for years after the fact.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It really depends on when you run into the cops, and the situation. In my experience, most officers are professional when you go into a station to file a report. In general, when I’ve been pulled over or approached by cops, Detroit police are overworked and suburban police are bored. I also freely admit that I speed, and don’t look at my headlights as often as I should.

Some bad experiences:
I was called “baby” and “honey” by a leering Dearborn cop who caught me smoking at 16. He didn’t issue a ticket, so it could have been worse.
I was pulled over for speeding by Detroit cops, who threw my license and registration in my face and told me to go back to the suburbs.
Driving down Mack, from Detroit to Grosse Pointe, I was pulled over by GP cops for having a burned out tail light. The cops walked up to my car with their guns drawn. (Eek!)
After getting mugged near my apartment, it took Detroit police almost two hours to show up so I could file a police report.

The good:
A Redford officer didn’t give me a speeding ticket, after he realized the speed limit signs had been removed during some construction, and never put back. (55 versus 70 is a lot!)
The Brownstone and Inkster police, respectively, were courteous and professional when I went into the station to file a report.
When I went into the 13th precinct in Detroit to inquire about bicycle licenses (they do have them!) they knew what I was talking about, and someone actually came outside to help me register my bike.
My hats off to the WSU police! Whenever I’ve needed to call them (car window smashed in, purse stolen, ect.) they come right away, are professional, friendly, and respectful- while working in Detroit.

An aside:
While working (very briefly) as a reporter, I discovered that the Berkley police are impossible to deal with. The police chief at the time didn’t like reporters in general, the officers were terrible about returning calls, and the whole department was very cagey about releasing the police log (the records of what calls the cops get and respond to.)

The lessons: don’t give cops a reason to pull you over. If they do, know your rights.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 370
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I discovered that the Berkley police are impossible to deal with. The police chief at the time didn’t like reporters in general, the officers were terrible about returning calls, and the whole department was very cagey about releasing the police log (the records of what calls the cops get and respond to.) "

Actually, they have a public safety department. Cops trained to be firefighters, firefighters that do policework.Same with Beverly Hills and Oak Park.

"suburban police are bored"

Clawson! They are very well known to be ticket-crazy.If the speed limit is 30, DONT go 32. Theyre notorious for harrassing motorists.Its still a pretty sleepy place and theyre desperate for something to do.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of my police experiences have been good ones, fortunately.

I got pulled over a few weeks ago in GP for a burnt-out headlamp (which I didn't know I had) - officer took my L/I/R and asked me if I had any tickets. I said no (true) for the past 7-8 years or so. He gave them back to me, said he could trust me to take care of it. Thanks! It may have helped that I was wearing a suit at the time and live nearby. And I am white.

When I first moved to GPP from midtown, in 1999, I was cruising for good pickings in GPF on the night before trash pickup (I was a 'poor' college student and a friend who lived in GPF told me about it) when a GPF patrol car pulled up behind me while I was sitting in my car looking at some furniture that someone had left out. I had a pretty good idea what they'd stopped before but I pulled out a map as a cover anyway. I told them I wasn't quite sure where I was (not really true) since I had just moved there (true.) I'm pretty sure they knew what I was really doing, but kindly just pointed out to me how to get back to Jefferson and which way to turn. It helped that I still had out-of-state plates and driver's license. Good way to handle it.

5-6 years ago I thought someone was trying to break into my neighbor's apt. downstairs (I live in the cabbage patch in GPP) - I called the police and two cars were there by the time I hung up the phone. Dang they're fast! It turned out to be a false alarm (I thought she was out of town, but she was at home) and their flashlights certainly surprised my neighbor. I second Mikem's opinion about them.

Two years ago I got a red-light ticket (I deserved it) downtown - officer was very nice and professional. Bu the ticket vanished, woohoo! 5-6 years ago I got a speeding ticket on 8 Mile (Detroit police) and he was good, too.

In early December I ran out of gas on I-75 in Troy. My car had been sitting at work for a week and I had forgotten how low on gas it was. I was within 1/4 mile of the Rochester Rd. exit, but being on foot on a freeway gives me the heebie-jeebies in a big way, especially at night and in bad weather. I called the non-emerg. number to ask for a ride to a gas station and the operator kindly told me it was OK to call 911 for that. A Troy patrol car showed up about 3 minutes later with a very nice policewoman who helped me get my car going again.

(Message edited by otter on February 26, 2008)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm one of the few people who has had great luck and great experiences with Detroit cops. Same with Detroit firefighters. They've responded to the few calls I've placed quickly, like within 5 minutes.
Granted, I live in a good part of town and I'm the exception to the rule, so I know the next time I call I'll wait four hours.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11707
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a particular peeve against the Royal Oak police...and have a good client/friend with a condo on the corner of Eleven and Main where I have been known to work until the wee hours...when he's out-of-town, of course, he's one of a few clients who understand my peculiarities and let me do my thing in my time.

I have watched those vultures circling for roadkill Thursday and Friday nights from one until three in the morning on their regular shitty drink tax scam.

I was pulled over one night after a long evening of billiards and music. I had some to drink, but was WELL within a reasonable amount. The officer who pulled me over did so because he didn't like the way I drove through the Washington/Woodward intersection that goes under the Zoo parking lot on the way to I-696. (He never heard of apex's in curves, nor the most efficient way to cut a corner, apparently!)

I was cold and nervous, and failed his field sobriety test. He told me to walk the curb, turn around, and walk back to the starting point. I didn't hear him say 'turn around' so I walked backwards to the starting point. When he got harsh with me about that, I reminded him that his test merely revealed what psychologists have known about me for years, I've got an attention issue. Listening to verbal instruction is not easy for this Asperger's child.

He was PISSED that I passed the breathalyzer the first time, and continued to be quite belligerent with me the entire time. Lucky for me, he had RUN OUT of breathalyzer tubes and had to wait for a backup. I had time to do a few MORE yogic deep breaths to clean out my airwaves, and the additional witness proved to be a help.

I played to his camera the whole time, reminding him constantly that I was within my rights, and he could not force me to take another test...since I had passed the first one!

I passed the second one, taken on my own choice after it was clear the fellow had it out for me. The guy went ballistic! He was clearly in a rage, then.

When he then casually asked if he could 'look around my vehicle', I specifically asked him if this question was aimed at my relinquishing my fourth amendment rights...he quickly snapped, "stop being an asshole".

To which I turned to his camera and exclaimed, "I beg to differ with you. I've been nothing but courteous and specific with my questions and answers to yours, and compliant with your every demand, including taking that second breathalyzer which I did not have to do."

I then said he could look around my vehicle. While he walked away, I caught a twinkle in his backup's eyes and a very slight nod that told me I had him on my side. I think I was bettering his hated superior, and this other officer was enjoying the show.

The jerk found my Dugout-brand one-hitter, empty, in the driver's side door pocket. It had been scraped clean that afternoon at the end of my stash, and some of the dust was on the console.

He came back all proud and huffy. "NOW I need the truth from you. Is there ANY marijuana in the vehicle?"

"I have told you nothing but the truth since the moment we met. IF there were, it would be IN that thing, and I'd be smoking it."

I thought the fellow was going to explode on the spot...spontaneously combust like a Spinal Tap drummer. I also thought I was a goner...run up the river for paraphernalia and a dusting of pot!

After consulting with his backup, he folded a crease in my license, and let me go...keeping my ancient dugout (with the original patent number on it).

I oddly LOST that creased license the next day, and had to get a new one...realizing full well that was a sign to other officers in the future that I might be carrying.

KNOW your rights, people. KNOW the law, even if you're going to be outside it when you feel you can justify yourself. (and we ALL find ways to justify ourselves outside the law at SOME point in our merely human lives, don't we? Heh!)

Cheers!

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2699
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was driving to work one day in my new car (red Corvette = ticket magnet). I decided to gas it a bit before I had to exit the highway. Didn't see the state trooper under the bridge.

The officer who stopped me was so polite, understanding and almost apologetic about giving me a ticket that I remember that as the only ticket I ever got that didn't leave me in a bad mood for the rest of the day. He was just a nice guy.

Then a few weeks later I saw his photo in the paper. He was shot multiple times and killed during a traffic stop on I-96.

I've had my share of bad experiences with cops too but I try to cut them some slack.

Trooper Kermit Fitzpatrick

quote:

TROOPER KERMIT FITZPATRICK
January 29, 1961 - July 7, 1991
Tpr. Kermit Fitzpatrick was shot to death during a
traffic stop on the Jeffries Freeway in Detroit.

At approximately 8:30 a.m. on Sunday, July 7,
1991, Trooper Fitzpatrick stopped a 1982 Blue
Ford Mustang for a routine traffic violation on
the westbound Jeffries Freeway (I-96) near Joy
Road in Detroit. After using his patrol car PA system
to direct the Mustang’s driver to a safe position
on the freeway shoulder, Trooper Fitzpatrick
left his patrol car and approached the driver to
make contact.

Just as Trooper Fitzpatrick took a
position standing either just behind or next to
the driver’s door, the driver raised a .22 caliber
semi-automatic pistol and fired six (6) rapid shots.
One shot hit Trooper Fitzpatrick’s jaw, two bullets
entered his left upper chest, and one hit his right
leg above the knee. His bullet-proof vest stopped
the other two shots.
The suspect fled the scene, and passers-by attended
to Trooper Fitzpatrick. Detroit police officers
transported him to Henry Ford Hospital,
where he was pronounced dead at 8:53 a.m.

The Detroit police Homicide Squad, assisted by
State Police detectives, quickly developed a suspect—
Steven Darius McGuire, age 20, of Royal
Oak, Michigan. Investigators learned that
McGuire had taken the Mustang from his mother
without permission, and that he had stolen the
.22 pistol and other guns when he burglarized a
neighbor’s house.

After the shooting, McGuire drove to Hillsdale
County, where he abandoned the Mustang and
stole another car at gunpoint. He then drove to
Napolean, Ohio, where he ran out of gas. After
a motorist picked him up hitchhiking, McGuire
tried to rob him, and fired several shots during a
scuffle inside the car. Both men then ran from
the car. Henry County sheriff’s deputies arrested
McGuire in a nearby field soon after this incident.

Their department also obtained a confession from
McGuire regarding the murder of Trooper
Fitzpatrick, and recovered the murder weapon.
McGuire eventually waived extradition proceedings
in Ohio, and was transferred to the Wayne
43 County Jail in Detroit. McGuire was convicted on
counts of First Degree Murder and Felony Firearms
violations in Wayne County Circuit Court in December, 1991.
He was sentenced to life in
prison in solitary confinement and at hard labor
continued with no possibility of parole by
Judge Leonard Townsend on January 6, 1992.

Trooper Fitzpatrick was the 41st MSP officer to
die in the line of duty.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 372
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine is basically boycotting the city of Royal Oak due to treatment from the police. She had an experience that was negative enough where she refuses to patronize buisnesses in the city out of protest due to unfriendly treatment from police.

Cdwaters
Username: Cdwaters

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked in the Security Department at HFM GV and there was a certain Dearborn cop where if he showed up when we called we were sorry we even bothered. There were many who did a really good job, though. This cop would roll up and when we told him the situation would always ask, "well whaddya want ME to do about it?"

I remember I was working the parking lot for one of the DSO concerts and we were told that Dearborn would be helping us out. This same cop pulls up onto an island on Village Rd then gets out to stand on the median. As soon as he got there a lady rolled down her window and asked where she should park. He just shrugged and said "How should I know." A few minutes later, he grabs a bag of bottle rockets and starts shooting them off. Later that evening, I hear over the radio that someone tried passing a fake $20 at one of the food tents, so they sent the police over. We all knew who went over there when we hear over our radio, "the police want to know what we expect them to do about it."
Later that night, during the fireworks there were a bunch of people on the tracks on the Mich Ave side watching when some drunks started throwing bottles over the fence towards one of our security officers. We climbed the fence to find 2 drunks who said they didn't realize anyone was over where they were throwing the bottles(yeah right.) The police show up and this guys says, "we're not climbing that fence, you bring them to us" which we were going to do anyways. Then he asks us what happened, and gives us the familiar phrase. Finally I asked him, "well what are you supposed to do when you find 2 drunks on the train tracks throwing glass bottles at somebody?"
That being said, again there are a lot of great officers. Like any job, there are good and bad, it is just that police work is such an important job that the bad ones really stick out.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 393
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all due respect to past & present DPD Officers, I offer the first installment of... Encounters with the Detroit Police Department:

Spring of 1973: As my sister (caucasian, age 18) and I (caucasian, age 15) were traveling east on Plymouth Road (near Sussex intersection), we witnessed a caucasian male teenager assault and rob an elderly caucasian male. The perpetrator then ran across Plymouth into an alley east of Sussex; my sister and I - enraged by the incident - tailed the suspect. Meanwhile, an adult African-American male (who had apparently witnessed the incident) was now running across Plymouth, ahead of our vehicle, in pursuit of the suspect. As we converged on the perpetrator, he could be seen...staggering toward a garage. The aforementioned man said nothing to the youth...he dropped to one knee and drew a revolver from his belt - taking careful aim on the perp's back. My sister and I drove into the alley and called out..."don't kill him".

Without dropping his aim, the man identified himself as a DPD officer and called out..."is he your partner"?

My sister and I exclaimed..."no, he's not; we saw what he did on Plymouth...don't kill him".

As my sister and I watched, the officer holstered his revolver and approached the suspect; he was in the process of handcuffing the youth, when several caucasian back-up officers arrived on the scene.

My sister and I continued to watch as three DPD officers approached the arresting officer and the suspect. We could plainly hear & see at least two of the officers yelling at the suspect...slapping/punching him to the ground. While this was taking place, another officer interviewed me and my sister - getting our account of the brutal assault and robbery.

Moments later, the other officers brought the perpetrator to us; one of the officers lifted the youth's chin with his flashlight and said...."take a look at these people - they saved your life tonight".

End of Report

PS By the way...My sister and I would have reacted in the same manner had the suspect been African-American, and the arresting officer been caucasian.

Gpcharles
Username: Gpcharles

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the late 1970s I would frequently drive a Lotus Europa around the eastside, in general, and GP, in particular.

I was pulled over constantly by cops that just wanted to check it out. One even asked to sit in it.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10126
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drove my pick-up in Detroit and was pulled over for not having a sticker on the rear of my plate (plus I had a border around the plate which is LEGAL as long as it doesn't cover the plate numbers or sticker).
When I explained to the officer that in Ontario Canada the sticker is on the front of the plate for pick-ups he demanded my license and insurance, ran it and came back and told me "next time have the stick on the back plate and remove the plate guard." I just laughed at him and told him "whatever floats his boat" and drove off. What a dick!

Another time my wife was lost and the police helped them get back to where they needed to go. Of course first they decided to go on the loudspeaker and tell them they couldn't stop where they were. When my wife got out of the car to tel them they wre lost they did help them so that was kind.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11719
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A friend of mine is basically boycotting the city of Royal Oak due to treatment from the police. She had an experience that was negative enough where she refuses to patronize buisnesses in the city out of protest due to unfriendly treatment from police.

I haven't done any business with any Royal Oak establishment other than that Faux Mex place on the east side of Main south of 11, and the fantastic Lebanese joint on the corner ever since, either.

It has been over eight years now! I will NOT meet my friends there when they plan a night out.

I only go into that town for work, and only because my friend mistakenly bought that expensive condo. It IS cool to sit across the street, enjoying my OWN refreshments, while listening to a show on the roof deck at Memphis Smoke, though!

It is now Royal Joke to me.

Arc312
Username: Arc312

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you ever driven an older car on Telegraph Rd. in Bloomfield Township?

Every time I drive on Telegraph and see a car pulled over, its always an older vehicle? Does any one else have any stories about this?

(Message edited by arc312 on February 27, 2008)

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5251
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warren has a notorious speed trap on Van Dyke between 696 and 12 Mile. Might be the biggest trap in the State, from what people have told me. Got pulled over for doing 5 over and cop was a total asshole...."what you doing son, coming back from De-troit?" If you are black, you should avoid driving in Warren altogether.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also avoid Royal Oak at all costs.

As a teen I was pulled over and ticketed in St. Clair Shores frequently. As a young adult delivering pizzas I got tickets from the Roseville cops a few times. I used to get pulled over downriver once a month and I always got let go. It was the frequently the same cop, and I think he just wanted to talk to me.

I've gotten out of two running a red light tickets - one downriver and one in Ann Arbor.

I've lived in Hamtramck for 5 years and have never been pulled over (knock on wood). The last time I was pulled over it was by two Detroit cops who asked where I was going and then both of them stopped talking to us because they heard something on their radios and then they just took off without a word.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, The Detroit Police are cool, Is the Band " The Blue Pigs", still around, ? Last time I saw them was a long time ago.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 307
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =uj0mtxXEGE8"

Too Funny, I added it to my favorites.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On more than one occasion, the Detroit Police could very well have saved my life or that of someone else, by arresting me for drunk driving. Also, more than once, I was allowed to take myself directly home. Every time i've received a ticket, i had it coming.

Twice in my life, I've flagged down a DPD car and asked if they would give me a jump. Both times, they graciously agreed.

After a night at the bowling alley and several rounds, the Ferndale police drove me home from 8 Mile and Livernois to 6 Mile and Greenfield.

The blonde female officer who booked me at Oak Park police station in 1986 was HOT. :-)

Terryh

Post Number: 703
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL@ALFIE....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.