Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Beverly Hills cop-opening « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 365
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was on IMCDB.org (internet movie cars database)and they have an entry for this movie. One pic is of a yellow Mercury with credits overtop from the very beginning of the film, which is set in Detroit. There is a streetsign in the background. I tried, to little success, to enlargen the picture to try to make out the sign. It looks like the signs may be of Waterman and W. Vernor, though. Does anyone know specifically where the opening of this movie was filmed?

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_1 8550-Mercury-Grand-Marquis-197 5.html

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That shot appears to be standing on Dix looking back at the intersection of Waterman and Vernor.

It was either Vernor or Warren by my guess, and Waterman and Warren don't intersect, so it's gotta be Vernor.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 206
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"enlargen"? is that at all like "embiggen"?

after all, a noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

that's about 2 blocks down waterman from Southwest Solutions, and just a couple blocks down vernor from Taqueria Mi Puebla. no info about the film.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5319
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doubtful if that's Vernor unless Waterman only had a stop sign twenty-four years ago. It's a fairly busy five-way intersection now with three-phase traffic lights. Lopez tire would be at that intersection, and that's a converted gas station. But the store there directly fronts on the corner without setbacks.

No way was it Vernor if that's the way it is today. I've been by that intersection literally thousands of times by car or on foot. Most Waterman intersections are jogged instead of going straight across. Maybe it was further down in Delray.

One way to determine that by somebody who wasn't there back then would be to use the CULMA or else figure out the location of that Ramsey tavern.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on February 22, 2008)

220hendrie1910
Username: 220hendrie1910

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, it's Waterman and Jefferson, way down by the river:

Waterman and Jefferson

The bar on the corner is gone, but the Ramsey Polishing building to its west is still there, as is the shacky garage thing on the northeast corner.

Despite its desolation, this area looks much less threatening today on Google Maps than it did in the movie.

Eating popcorn in Ottawa.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5320
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The CULMA 1981 aerial shows the Ramsey bar obviously there. That was an easy one to spot because there are only about five through (and only three arterial) streets crossing Waterman, and Jefferson was the most obvious because of the stop sign. Waterman & (ends at) Jefferson is/was not busy enough to warrant a traffic light, as on Vernor.

I've been trying to copy the CULMA shot but my laptop is balking, for some reason the past thirty minutes. Might have to reboot.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on February 23, 2008)

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4776
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ramsey Bar on Jefferson was memorable to Southwest Detroiters because of the exterior paintings, done on a tight budget by an unknown artist, of what were supposed to be sexy girls girls girls. Unfortunately, the unknown artist had apparently never taken life drawing, and the creatures in the paintings resembled the animals in ancient cave paintings found in Europe.
Whenever I passed the girls girls girls paintings of The Ramsey Bar, I felt a connection to my cave dwelling ancestors of millions of years ago...

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 366
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, you guys are good.
I wasn't able to find any other pictures on there who's location may be easy to identify. This was just about the only other one and Im clueless.Im guessing this is probably in the same area.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_1 8556-GMC-RTS-1979.html

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 367
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went by there this morning and it looks a lot different in person. Id have never guessed it was the same place as what was on the movie.
This is the last one that may be identifiable. Note the brick road.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_6 421-Plymouth-Fury-1977.html

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 206
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW I was watching the Harrison Ford movie 'Presumed Innocent' last night and it had some nice shots of downtown and also driving through the city.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 214
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ddot coach slide was filmed on Michigan ave. around 29th street.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 795
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hpgrmln

that brick road is down in the warehouse district, either Woodbridge or Atwater ... this was shot before the Stroh RiverPlace had been rehabbed so it was a lttle seedy.

BTW Eddie never set foot in Motown.

Orange_barrel
Username: Orange_barrel

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched the buddy cop movie 'Collision Course" recently (stars Pat Morita and Jay Leno before he got The Tonight Show). The film is set entirely in Detroit during Grand Prix weekend and has great shots from all over town. The city is more than just a backdrop for the story; the plot touches on the tension between Japan and Detroit over lost auto jobs. Be warned though: the cheesy dialogue and the dated music get to be a bit annoying after a while...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.