Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Housing Development on Eastside « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 245
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was/is a total neighborhood redevelopment planned for the area bounded by:Conner,Alter, Jefferson, and Mack.Lower Eastside Development I think was the name. I know that two small areas have been built upon(slightly)but progress seems to have halted.

Does anyone have any info as to whats going on?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a thread about it.

If it's the same project, it was poised to gentrify the neighborhood.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 247
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gentrify?? LOL(OK Kwame jokes may now begin) There arent enough homes left to call it gentrification. It's a redevelopment!! I grew up in that neighborhood, in several different homes. All,except one no longer exist.

The neighborhood needs something. With its proximity to the Pointes, the neighborhood could be an anchor to the reemergence of the city.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it was planned to be bigger than "a couple homes." It was centered from Conner to Alter to Jefferson to Kercheval (new retail/apartment buildings along Kercheval and Medium-High Density Lower Middle Class Homes and Duplexes on Every Block).

They were also going to grid the neighborhood up some more and add more greenery.

I'm not sure if this plan was ever ironed out.

(Message edited by detroitrise on February 23, 2008)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4460
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the Far East Side plan and the Far East Side Development Corp LLC. It will only move forward as the market allows it to, and that's a good thing. Thus, it's not moving right now.

But the plan that they just need further financing and demand for is to rebuild all those heavily-vacated blocks south of Mack from the Jefferson North Plan to GPP. The density will be higher than average, but very befitting to the neighborhood. We're talking brick (or prefab brick) single families and duplexes on 30' lots, some apartment buildings, and retail along each of the cross streets. The plan is in place, the City has done HEAVY infrastructure rebuilding much like they did in Brush Park, and once the market moves this should really change that area.

an old but still pertinent story: http://www.stateline.org/live/ ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=136 &languageId=1&contentId=15660

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 186
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides the Far East Side plan, there is a small group doing some development as well. I happen to work for the company. We have built 5 duplex buildings so far, and are seeking approval for more, along with a mixed used building that will include apartments on upper levels and retail on the lower level.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.