Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Info on cinder block house near Eastern Market « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 451
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember who built this house at Pierce St & St Aubin? I was out shooting today and I recalled the project from around two years ago. Was it students from U of M, Habitat for Humanity, LTU or someone else? I haven't been able to turn anything up in any searches.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 471
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cranbrook

Polaar
Username: Polaar

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More info here:

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/cranbrook11607.as px

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The project was built for a family to live in, it says. Does it look occupied?

Wood
Username: Wood

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a family BBQing there a few weeks ago.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 335
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love it. Very 'Dwell'.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11664
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see people around it NOW, but for the longest time it looked empty. It's been quite busy lately, great to see that area have some action.

Been waiting for the taggers to give them some...style...on those boring-ass cinderwalls.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

style...aka vandalism.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 637
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Food for thought....

quote:

In Bomb the Suburbs, the author defends graffiti: "Applying paint to a surface illegally is not in itself immoral. Many surfaces such as lamp posts, viaduct walls or dark rooms deep inside a subway tunnel aren't actually ' damaged' by applying paint to them."

As for the nicknames scrawled in black spray paint over the cement base of the Wyngate apartments, Upski says: "Graffiti is not merely the actions of some wild kids, it's the people in power not giving any respect to the kids on the street." He adds that those in power should make it a priority to have a relationship with these graffiti artists and "make sacrifices for them."

Stan Miller, a 45-year-old black man, lives in the corner apartment at the Wyngate. He isn't as thrilled about the graffiti.

"I don't like it worth a damn," exclaims Miller. "It defaces the whole building. I've been here for five years and and every time the custodian paints over the building, the kids mark it up."

"Why do you think the kids do it?" asks Upski.

"Who has any idea what any Simple Simon has running through their head?" responds Miller. "Kids run around and they have peer pressure."

The hip-hop emissary, sounding like a rep from the Anti-Graffiti Network, suggests contacting the kids and letting them paint a mural where the graffiti is.

Miller considers the suggestion and says it might work if you got the word out to all the taggers all over the city.

"Do you think the mayor of the city would be into organizing that?" wonders Upski.

"I don't know why not," answers Miller.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 791
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drove by a week or so ago and spoke with their neighbors across the street, James and Jennifer. James said that the white guys had a terrible time building it because folks just stole the building supplies as soon as they were delivered.

James said the inside has a lot of light even though it looks like a bunker. He was very impressed by the recessed lighting in the ceiling and spoke at length about it, "It's like invisible light you can's see were it's coming from." James also reported that there is a basement, the first floor is comprised of a single room and upstairs they have two bedroom and a bath.

James, who was very talkative, says that white people come by and look at the building from inside their cars, but they are easily frightened away. A black couple live in the Bunker House, and James said, "They keep to themselves."

Gannon

Post Number: 11666
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gnome!

OMG, I've NEVER seen any people of color near this place! They DO keep to themselves, and have nothing but fair-skinned friends...heh.

Glad James was SUCH a good neighbor, watching those building supplies carried away...he probably TALKED with 'em...

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 472
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You contribute so MUCH Gannon.

Gannon

Post Number: 11670
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What specifically do you mean by your trite comment, Rjlj?

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 638
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's being glib, not really trite.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.