Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Street Cars in Ann Arbor? Perhaps ... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 261
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann Arbor officials are considering paying a consultant to study whether a streetcar system could work here, and the Ann Arbor Transportation Authority board voted Wednesday to participate in such a study.

http://blog.mlive.com/annarbor news/2008/02/can_treetown_beco me_trolleytow.html

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2740
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the idea. It sounds like this has a better chance of happening than the rumored UM monorail.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2988
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have said this in the past, but I think local officials should also consider a monorail/elevated light-rail plan. They shouldn't ignore it. I frequent Ann Arbor a lot, and their streets are not wide enough to accomodate a streetcar system.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 318
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their streets are as wide as others that have a streetcar system.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Streetcars generally share the road with regular traffic so you don't need a wide street to accomodate a system.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Streetcars where? Up and down Main Street that is 3-4 blocks?

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2992
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Goblue. How will street cars fit Main Street and other streets that intersect it? I can understand Plymouth, Washtenaw and Stadium.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1568
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummm... Have you been to San Francisco? The streetcars there run on thin roadways (thinner than A2s) through both residential and commercial districts. Streetcars were originally built in areas that had narrow, densely packed streets. I'm not saying Ann Arbor is San Fran but there is lots of precedent for streetcars on what Michiganders consider narrow streets.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2352
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are the typical right-of-ways in AA? This is one example for DTOGS: http://www.dtogs.com/f/4-3_Pla ns+Sect_LRT_90_07-11-26_066.pd f

Folk313
Username: Folk313

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia485:

are you kidding? a monorail?

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This would be great, but my experiecne with street cars in SF is that they are really slow, like busses.

What happened with the project to convert a freigh train line to a commuter line from Howell to AA?

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 429
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Well, an elevated rail system of some sort. I think it's still very early in the planning stages. The issue is moving students between North and Central Campuses with buses already full to capacity. Another alternative to resolve this problem is to encourage driving, but we all know that's not the best solution

It is factual that there has been planning done to link parts of campus with some sort of light rail system. The issue is where the financing would come from.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2996
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folk, I am not kidding. Las Vegas has a monorail system and it's exceeding expectations. It works.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's not transit, that's tourist transportation. That's a grandiose airport tram.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3921
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That's not transit, that's tourist transportation. That's a grandiose airport tram.

Which doesn't even go to the airport.

The costs for the LV Monorail are nothing short of astounding. An 2 mile extension to downtown is anticipated to cost in excess of $400 million. That's more expensive than an urban subway system, while carrying the passenger load of a busy bus route. Never mind that the technology is shit.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2747
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Streetcars where? Up and down Main Street that is 3-4 blocks?

Main St is a lot longer than 3-4 blocks...

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2356
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. It is 4+ miles from M-14 down to I-94--plenty long for a streetcar.

For comparison:
"Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) will utilize a streetcar from Presbyterian Hospital to Johnson C. Smith University along Elizabeth, which turns into Trade Street through downtown." http://www.charmeck.org/Depart ments/City+Engineering/See+Our +Projects/Transportation/eliza beth.htm

FYI, this length here in Charlotte is 2 miles.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Washtenaw-Huron would be a natural for a streetcar. Buses run frequently but are packed at rush hour, and traffic is out of control.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A monorail or other elevated system would be ugly and make the street below claustrophobic.

Ray-- The planners don't want to convert the AA to Howell line from freight to commuter, but rather add commuter trains. The freights aren't being discontinued.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whether the system gets built or not, the consultants who do the study will laugh all the way to the bank, just like they have with the zillion other mass transist proposals in the region that are done and then sit on the shelf-- until a few years pass and the same stuff is re-studied by more consultants.

Consultants and lawyers always win, no matter what the outcome is.

Folk313
Username: Folk313

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia485,
Ann Arbor is the antithesis of Las Vegas. They could not be more opposite. I can hardly think of a more reckless, absurd idea for Ann Arbor.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.