Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Why can't our newspapers do this? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3572
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.latimes.com/news/lo cal/crime/homicidemap/

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 319
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or this

http://gis.chicagopolice.org/

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 207
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because it is much more beneficial for the media to paint the entire Detroit area as one free-for-all murder spree.

However, stepping out of non-sarcastic mode, the city of Detroit really should do something like that. That is an ingenious idea!

Lilpup

Post Number: 3573
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe on of the tv stations could do it for their web content. It would be more beneficial than some of the crap they give airtime to.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 498
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If DPD doesn't release the crime stats for the city, how can the media accurately report on crime.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3574
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The map in the first post, done by the LA Times, is based on their own reporting and data from the county coroner's office.

That's really why it caught my attention.

(Message edited by lilpup on February 24, 2008)

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point, Lilpup. Forewarned is forearmed.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 286
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How hard would it be for someone at the paper to stake out the coroner's office in Detroit? Not too.

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, i should use this for my GIS project at school

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing because of DPD/politics making some look bad. Maybe thats why they don't report crime correctly in the first.
The COMPSTAT system used in NY by chief Bratton then in LA by Bratton predicted crime in the future and would act accordingly. Detroit thinks differently.
http://www.lapdonline.org/crim e_maps_and_compstat

Lilpup

Post Number: 3577
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll point out once again, for those not paying attention, the LA Times map isn't from police department data.

Upinthewoods
Username: Upinthewoods

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

back in '04 I made a unplanned tour through the southeast corner of the state fair neighborhood. Shortly after that I remember looking at a map in freep showing "hotspots" for homicides. Low and behold I walked right through one of them. So in conclusion these maps exist from time to time.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Because it is much more beneficial for the media to paint the entire Detroit area as one free-for-all murder spree." -- crumbled pavement

CP: Beneficial? To whom? Not sure what your point is.

Toledolaw05
Username: Toledolaw05

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Toledo Blade does one weekly for the city of Toledo and one for the suburbs listing all crimes that took place.

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080223/N EWS18/233673834

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 208
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macknwarren said: "CP: Beneficial? To whom? Not sure what your point is."

It's much easier to sell newspapers with a shocking headline than it is to sell them with an article written with substance.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why doesn't the DPD give out crime statistics of where things happen. The coroner doesn't track burglaries.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 455
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://maps.cmpdweb.org/

http://www.charmeck.org/Depart ments/CMPD/home.htm

check these sites out

Lilpup

Post Number: 3595
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The DPD is already stretched that's why I'd prefer to see the newsies do it. It is, after all, news. Not only is it news, it's usable news, community news, stuff that really matters to the people at large. In the broad picture, yes, it would be nice to have all property and violent crimes be indicated, but under today's conditions I'd settle for a homicide map updated weekly.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2749
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a creative way to use the Google maps API...

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 456
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

see the DPD and city govt just doesn't use it resources well...

if they use Google maps, they could easily pay an IT guy to make a program that will talk to the 911 and Goggle maps to plot this information out immediately.

Its not about the work on a daily basis, its about using their resources wisely to create something that is automatic. Do you think that someone in Chicago and Charlotte type this stuff in daily - no, they paid fr automation.

great example - my mother was the project manager for the 700 mhz radio project. Have you heard anything else about that? Apparently, they don't even work properly. So they paid my mother to monitor their poor resource allocation. Then they laid her off during the last few budget cuts...so NO ONE is even monitoring this process now especially considering they are not even working properly.

go figure?

Downtowntom
Username: Downtowntom

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You cant do this in Detroit. Why not?
1 It promotes racial stereotyping
2 It encourages racial profiling
3 It reinforces mortgage and insurance redlining

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ That's gonna happen either way. Even if we went 1 year without any murders- people will still focus on the past (of course not the super pro-Detroiters on this forum<-sarcasm).

Wanderinglady
Username: Wanderinglady

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The L.A. Times' Homicide Report blog, in its FAQ section, explains why it includes the race of murder victims in its reports: http://latimesblogs.latimes.co m/homicidereport/2007/06/why_d oes_the_re.html . I suggest that those who are interested read some of the victims' stories.

I live in the Los Angeles area and regularly read the Homicide Report. I think it "puts a face" on the issue. Another thing is that the Homicide Report is not just limited to the city, it includes all of Los Angeles county. It has been eye-opening to see what happens in areas most of us would consider "safe". It's also revelatory as to the number of domestic-violence related murders in the Los Angeles area. It isn't just Black or Latino gang members doing drive-bys (of course, there are plenty of those there too).

It would be interesting if the Freep or the News developed something similar to the Times' Homicide Report. Including the suburbs would deflate the idea of "picking on Detroit" or "picking on [insert racial group here]". Maybe it could spur people to action. It would definitely be controversial -- but maybe that's what is needed.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 710
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great idea if done accurately.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1907
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If we demand it and demand it loudly I'm sure they will listen. Where are all of the over energetic crusaders this forum has been hit with recently? Here is something worthwhile for you all to do.

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor_sekou said: "If we demand it and demand it loudly I'm sure they will listen."

I wonder if we could put together a web page like this. Obviously it wouldn't compete with other web sites in other areas, but if it became popular it would pressure media in Metro Detroit to adopt this concept. Just a thought...

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1913
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a good thought I'm no good running a web site but if someone is serious enough I wouldn't mind lending a helping hand.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1916
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump, because this something us Detroityes'ers(?) could do that would actually be very useful.

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It might encourage people to purchase houses in certain decent neighborhoods. Buy up the foreclosures, start getting all the houses occupied and perhaps adjoining areas will benefit and become populated as well. Move in decent people and squeeze out the low lifes. Except there is always the possibility of being ripped off or mugged by low lifes cruising your good neighborhood cuz there is nothing to take from theirs. Sorry to have the negative overtake the positive but that seems to be the reality of D.

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 468
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If someone had a Google Earth account they'd have to commit to time to plot the addresses or intersections...but where to get the actual information from is the hardest part...scanning the news would leave us with some gaps

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1919
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats what I was worried about getting the info. Does somebody know anybody in the coroners officer or the police department willing to leak info?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4662
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One could try to collect the information from a police scanner but that might be difficult to do thoroughly and would be too time consuming.

I find it hard to believe that the data doesn't already exist somewhere but just isn't getting published. What organization wouldn't keep records?

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 295
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I maybe wrong, but wouldn't this be considered public information from a coroner's office? It's a government agency, paid for with tax money. Isn't it possible to contact their office daily to get an 24 hour update for the new arrivals?

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 218
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroitcrime.com can be purchased for $1,100. detroitcrime.net and detroitcrimestatistics.com can be purchased for $20. Rel has all the experience on purchasing domain names and all the controversy that comes with it. All we need is info and we can have this thing up and running in late March, early April. Heck, we could even expand and give general crime information in Detroit.

Get 'er done!

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1920
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell I'm down for either Detroitcrime.net or detroitcrimestatistics.com how do you purchase them because if they are only 20 dollars and take Visa check card ill do it when I get home.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3609
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

go to networksolutions.com or Godaddy.com to get domain names. There's nothing to that.

The real problem is getting the data that's why I charged the newsies with doing it. They get easier and more complete access than Joe Citizen.

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 219
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor_sekou, be careful registering those domain names because you may be required to give up personal information (i.e.: address). There is an option on most domain name sites to hide that information, just an fyi

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1921
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the heads up, Crumbled

Well I called the county coroners office and asked them whether or not this information was public and available to whoever, they referred me to this other person who I'll have to call back tomorrow to discuss this in more detail.

I also called an internet consulting company, Spartan Internet consulting, and asked how much it would cost to develop and keep it up and running and they said upwards of 5-10 grand at minimum.

So it looks like I am going to have to learn how to code html or scale it back a bit. Or rely on others who can code html. But all of this is not important until a steady source is developed.

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 220
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't have to have all the bells and whistles. A simple jpeg image of Detroit with icons that denote where a murder occurred is all that is needed. We're just trying to advance the idea to make it popular. No way we can make a profit out of it. Investments of 5 - 10 grand is for projects you can make money off of...

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1922
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed. I am going to start Page sourcing sites with Firefox to see how it is done then once a source is found it should be a piece of cake.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1923
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or we could request the info via FOIA but then the city will for sure say no because it will argue a request will do all of the following:

* interfere with law enforcement proceedings;

* deprive a person of the right to a fair trial or impartial administrative adjudication;

* constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy;

* disclose the identity of a confidential source or, if the record is compiled by a criminal law enforcement agency in the course of a criminal investigation, disclose confidential information furnished only by a confidential source;

* disclose law enforcement investigative techniques or procedures; or

* endanger the life or physical safety of law enforcement personnel.

So that might be a dead end there.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2700
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These maps are from a Detroit News article a few years ago. There was a thread back then where I posted these but I can't find it.

map1

map2

map3

Someone might try searching the News archives for their article on Detroit murders.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1924
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good find. Thats kind of bad its so evenly spread out like that.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3610
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Track75 those are shootings I think, not homicides, and the time frame covered isn't specified. I think, if all three of those pieces could be viewed as one then cluster areas would be easier to see.

FOIA couldn't provide current info though one could do historical plots for comparison. Short of the PD the coroner's office is the next best bet for timely and the most complete homicide info.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3613
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just for starters and using news media reports a google map plot can be done free of charge.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found a map of Detroit that doesn't have details of every crime in Detroit but it does pinpoint the location where the most egregious crimes against the city have occurred.

Kwame Map

Downtowntom
Username: Downtowntom

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drankin21

WOW!
That tells the whole story.

Funny too!

Lilpup

Post Number: 3660
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Well I called the county coroners office and asked them whether or not this information was public and available to whoever, they referred me to this other person who I'll have to call back tomorrow to discuss this in more detail."

Did you find out anything yet?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4689
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a pretty good resource for learning HTML, ASP,Jscript and VBScript: W3Schools.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another paper's map-

http://www.abqjournal.com/crim e/crimemapweekdefault.htm

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I prefer the L.A. Daiy News crime blog;
http://www.insidesocal.com/cri me/
but Seattle's 'Hash' was interesting too;
http://archive.seattlepressonl ine.com/article-9879.html

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 239
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Evelyn, I sure would hate to get arrested in Albuquerque. They put a person on full blast there. Name, offenses, everything. Just knowing that would make me extra cautious to obey the law. Of course, these are arrests and not just traffic stops, but enough incentive to do the right thing nonetheless!

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. And I'm willing to bet that no-one posts a list of the arrests APD made in error.

New Mexico has a big DWI problem, and my guess is that they post arrest info as a kind of public shaming. Something like the states that issue different colored plates for people with DWI's on their records.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well after talking to like 3 different people at the ME office Friday I got referred to the Crime Analysis Dept. of the DPD. Ill try calling later on when I get home if its not too late. Updates to follow.

(Message edited by mayor_sekou on March 03, 2008)

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 504
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great job Sekou...some ideas to add to the page

(maybe you should do a blogspot page - detroitcrime.blogspot.com)

then we can add pictures, have ppl comment and do Google news feeds...then if you allow adds, that can pay you for your time

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11390
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The DPD is already stretched that's why I'd prefer to see the newsies do it.

I disagree. If the DPD is not doing this already they are essentially admitting that they do not believe in pro-active police work. Any PD worth a damn should know exactly the hit spots for crime and concentrate on those.

It is one of two options:

1. DPD has the data but does not release it. I disagree with this approach since the data should be available to the public.

2. DPD does not have this data which would mean that there is major incompetence at every leadership position in DPD. Identifying trends and hot spots of crime should be the first thing they do. If they are not doing this EBC and all of her leaders need to be replaced, preferrably outside of DPD immediately.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3679
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt, I'm sure the PD has the data but should their time be spent maintaining a website for public reference if someone else could do it - someone whose entire industry is geared to communication and dispersing news and information?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.