Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » One of Detroit's most staunch supporters, is gone :-( « Previous Next »
Archive through February 25, 2008Burnsie30 02-25-08  11:59 am
Archive through February 25, 2008Iheartthed30 02-25-08  4:09 pm
Archive through February 26, 2008Mikem30 02-26-08  12:48 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1984
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, Ravine the Language Geek is here to address even this most minor, although certainly not minorest, of matters.
"Most staunch" and "staunchest" are totally synonymous, and both are accepted superlative forms of the word. Personally, I would go with "most staunch" because "staunchest" has a funny look to it, but then, "staunch" is one of those words which starts to look funny, anyway, if your eyes linger on it.
And Craggy, whose Tuesday A.M. radio program was most edifyingest, is correct in his flagging of the unnecessary comma.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2355
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I dont understand why people would be upset with him because he is leaving."

Not all are upset. In my case recounting the old adage, "the last one out of Detroit, turn off the lights," I had assumed that Mr. Zeiler would be one of the finalists for that position. It's just honestly shocking to me that he chose to leave. Regardless of what anyone thought of him, he took on a lot, defending the city from its own stubborn 'red tape' ways.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1906
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is interesting because a little while ago I was talking with some of my recent or soon to be college graduate friends (A.K.A. The people Detroit needs to retain.) And almost all of them are ready the get the hell out of here. Most go to Chicago but they're also leaving for places like Austin, TX or Columbus, OH, places I wouldn't even want to look at on a map let alone live. But yet they go in droves, not only because these places are apparently better off economically than we are but also to some for some reason these places are more desirable than Detroit. And when you have 22 or 23 year old people considering Austin, TX or anywhere in Ohio more desirable than here then you know something is seriously fucked with this city and this state. That put me in a bad mood. I don’t how just yet but we need to get on the ball and we need to get on it quick if were going to be able to play in this game anymore. But don’t worry Detroit I would only leave you for a bigger city.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11350
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Austin is a great city.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5397
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And when you have 22 or 23 year old people considering Austin, TX or anywhere in Ohio more desirable than here then you know something is seriously fucked with this city and this state.

What??? Is somebody totally ignorant? Austin is one of the garden spots to live in the entire US and is also referred to as the Silicon Hills and is comparable to Silicon Valley in CA. Engineers like me get job descriptions/offers to Austin by phone or email probably once a week or so, their hiring needs are so acute. What's unusual about 22-yo college grads going there? Especially if they are into semiconductor design or other forms of IT or engineering.

It's pretty much similar to Madison WI with the University of Texas at Austin being there. Austin will keep growing, even though much of what it once done was offshored to Europe or Asia. Can't say that about Detroit or SE MI.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on February 26, 2008)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2357
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But yet they go in droves, not only because these places are apparently better off economically than we are but also to some for some reason these places are more desirable than Detroit."

Sometimes a better economy is all that some desire. Is that asking too much? I've said on many of these threads that there really is only one reason why I am here in Charlotte--opportunity. In nearly every other regard, Detroit ranks higher in my opinion than Charlotte.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1908
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was referring to desirability not the job market in Austin.

Jt1

Post Number: 11351
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Austin is a desirable city.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5398
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're into music--bands, promotion, etc., Austin is quite the place, too.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1909
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some people may have that opinion but it is in Detroit's best interest to not let these smaller and in my opinion more obscure places sap away your citizens because of some desirability factor.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5399
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Some people may have that opinion but it is in Detroit's best interest to not let these smaller and in my opinion more obscure places sap away your citizens because of some desirability factor.

Be advised that such stupid remarks often get picked up for redistribution elsewhere...

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assure you I am not concerned.

Jt1

Post Number: 11353
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Austin is a city of 700,000 people and growing. I don't see myself leaving Detroit for Austin anytime soon but if I had to I wouldn't be upset about ending up in Austin.

This is coming from someone who is not a fan of Texas in the first place. I have been to many parts of Texas and it isn't my place but Austin is a great city with a growing population, strong job base and a large University. Add in the great music scene that LY mentioned.

Just my opinion

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5400
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Austin, though I admit have never been there. Lots of people I've known from Madison have been there for eons and rarely leave. They say it's a much warmer version of Madison.

The main reason I like Austin involves getting some unsolicited telecommute work and gigs there. Just finished a really short one today.

Maybe, I'll get one with some travel as when I had that 6-month contract with Motorola/Freescale Semiconductor. Had opportunities to go there for a few days but didn't go for some stupid reason, which I forgot. I think that July had something to do with it, and it was in the upper 90s down there then...

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1911
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That’s fair. Maybe I need to clarify what I mean by desirable. I am referring to this one person, a life long city resident, who is moving to Austin and believes after one visit to the city that Detroit has nothing to offer in comparison to Austin. This is an assessment that doesn’t rely on anything tangible like crime rates or the job market. It based off of this, I don’t know, “coolness factor” that it seems a lot of people I know are basing their decision to move off of. You’re used to hearing about this factor when talking about Chicago or New York but from Austin, TX or Columbus, OH. That’s not good. We are having trouble keeping residents from leaving here to other major cities and now people are leaving here for other smaller cities you wouldn’t think could honestly compete with Detroit in that regards. We need to step our game up before long people are flooding to Dayton because it is way cooler to be than Detroit. I don’t know how but they need to think of something because it is getting harder and harder to defend the city up here.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1985
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is good and fucked up. I'm a Detroiter, and even after I have vacationed in other places, I am always glad to return, because it is Home.
I do not understand why anyone would have a difficult time understanding why folks get up and leave. Detroit, once little more than a corpse baking in the sun or buried beneath the snow, has begun breathing again, a little bit. The downtown area-- you gotta start at the core!-- is almost unrecognizable from the downtown of, let's say, even so little as fifteen years ago. Still, the Real Detroit is not the downtown area, "the CBD," or trendy lofts opened up for rent on Lafayette. The Real Detroit is out here in the neighborhoods, where the hard-working, tax-paying citizens live and raise their children, and that Detroit is still riddled with crime (much of it violent,) squalor, liquor stores nearly stacked one on top of the other, abandoned & vandalized houses, a thriving dope trade, drunk vagrants reeling up and down the streets, gangs tagging every surface available with the evidence of their by-default rule, and desperation, lots of desperation.
Even if the job market was NOT absolutely moribund, there is not much to brag about out here in the Real Detroit. Feeling like you've earned some kind of Urban Toughness badge because you live here and you're not dead yet is self-indulgent foolishness.
Those of us who stay here and try to make the best of it don't deserve to be ridiculed for it, but the folks who hit the road & don't look back don't deserve ridicule for that, either.
You can't have a "Detroit: Love It Or Leave It" attitude and then get all pissed off at somebody for leaving it, especially when maybe they DID love it.
Stop whining and snorfling up snot. This ain't no fuckin' utopia, and you know it.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2758
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Austin got a Real World before Detroit...

I've never been to Austin but I have yet to hear a bad thing about it. I don't think anyone who would pass up Chicago, New York or L.A. to live in Austin or Columbus is looking for much of a big city atmosphere anyway.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1705
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I maintain that Austin is lost and doesn't actually belong in Texas.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too Bad Peter can't defend/explain himself from your attacks here.....

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 849
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not? He is going to have a new email isn't he? I have a sneaky suspicion that we haven't heard the last of him. I look forward to his return.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 860
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yooohoooo

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is the FSC over already?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.