Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Old Photo Trivia » Archive through February 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea,The Inter urban went west from Grand River and Orchard lake road it went west on Grand River almost to Farmington, then took a turn South, before the corner and went South down Farmington to 8 Mile. Then it went West again ,on 8 mile till it got to almost Northville and then went through downtown Northville to Plymouth. You could sure go all over on the InterUrban. Sort of like what the people in Conn. and New York have for commuter trains now.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2148
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!! We started with a train station and now we are into inter urbans. This Thread is about "Old Photo Trivia". Inter urban photo, please.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5233
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5276
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A caption for the above photo...
quote:

You have to be where? When? Ha, ha, ha!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5234
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright, here's one I used to pass every day.

Still around, and actually looking better than ever today.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on Jjaba, get it right.

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy, all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage.
I can't afford a carriage.
But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5239
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hint: This building originally served as a Power Generating plant for streetcars, then later as a Warehouse.

It has recently been renovated.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5242
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hint: This building is made of an orange colored brick. It was an Edison substation powering streetcars on Woodward North of the city of Detroit.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 418
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That building's on Main Street in Royal Oak, just south of the Grand Trunk line.
http://tinyurl.com/yqudc9

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5246
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well done, Fishtoes! That is correct.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! What a difference in the setting now. I see that building all the time and didn't recognize it!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5247
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's a beauty, Royal Oak is lucky someone restored this gem.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5248
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This time we're going back even further... All the way to 1836.

Have at it.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Botsford Inn.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5250
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to go Jman!

Built in 1836 by Orrin Weston to house guests that rode the stage coach line from Detroit to Howell. The Inn takes its name from Milton C. Botsford, who took over the Inn around 1860. Clara Ford is said to haunt the place, as well. BooOOoOOoOoooo!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5251
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know for a fact some forumers know this next one.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5261
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hint: This building was demolished to build the Chrysler Freeway.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2768
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to go back to the Botsford Inn for a second...Milton Botsford appears in the 1870 census in Farmington Township, occupation "Hotel Keeper". Wife's name is Sarina, best as I can make out. He was born in Connecticut in 1813. Two children, Frank b. 1853, and Mary, b. 1861.

Can't locate him in the 1880 census. About eight with the surname of Botsford living in Farmington Twp. that year. Did he die bef. 1880?

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 159
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must be the old Yondetega Club.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5262
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mccarch, the old Yondetega Club is correct. Wow, you guys are good!

Ray, as much as I could scrape up:

Milton Botsford was the brother of Simeon Botsford. Simeon was one of the original founders of Ellington Township in Tuscola County.

Ford bought the Inn from the Botsfords in 1924, when the widening of Grand River "threatened" the structure. I'm not sure that means he bought it from Milton, or from the family in general.

I did see that Milton C. Botsford is buried in Farmington, but no information beyond his name was given. Perhaps I'll dig into this more tomorrow.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3553
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thread jack! (sorry John)

pic

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5264
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, I've also found reference that Henry Ford had help from a Frank Botsford in rehabbing the structure after he purchased it.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5292
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Witch's hat railroad stations were located at several places. They were built cookie-cutter fashion--like the double arches of MacDonald's.

That one might be at South Lyon. The station there had rail traffic from two sides, as there was sort of a T intersection there.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on February 21, 2008)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3554
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That one might be at South Lyon.

Yep. Info. and recent pics here:

http://mc.net/~louisvw/depot/s -lyon/s-lyon.htm

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5266
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why I stayed away from heavy rail related photos Pam, I knew they'd be too easy for LY. :-)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6146
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba actually visited the South Lyon Station last September, 2007. This was the same weekend as the Michigan-Oregon game in Ann Arbor. jjaba was given full hospitality by the good people in South Lyon. It is a nice restoration.

jjaba also got an insider's look at the new South Lyon East High School.

jjaba.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just getting around to thanking johnlodge for posting a couple of interurban photos and now I see we have come full-circle and are back into train depots. Great shots of the South Lyon station which I have also visited.
Next month I am finally headed to Durand to see their famous depot. Then on to Owosso, home of the might Polar Express. I missed jjaba in South Lyon but hope to see Tom Hanks in Owosso. All Aboard!!

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 421
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I did see that Milton C. Botsford is buried in Farmington, but no information beyond his name was given. Perhaps I'll dig into this more tomorrow.

"Dig" in the figurative sense I hope. :-)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5278
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hahaha, nice catch.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 784
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JohnLodge-
Do you know what is the current use for the Royal Oak building? Looks like they did a great job in re-habbing it. Didn't it use to be a hardware/feed store?