Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » One of Detroit's most staunch supporters, is gone :-( » Archive through February 25, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 864
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This forumer contributed a great deal of inside knowledge during his time here. I really believe Detroit is a lesser place without him. Good luck to you in North Carolina.

Who's next? Supersport?

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080225/O PINION03/802250317

(Message edited by Mind field on February 25, 2008)

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 499
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly, I know many looong time Detroiters who are feeling the same way (especially in light of this text message foolishness). Good luck to you Peter.

Single_malt
Username: Single_malt

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad. But I can't say I blame him.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 315
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I talked to Peter before he left. He got a GREAT job opportunity in Charlotte, one he couldn't pass up.

Don't be at all surprised if he, like myself, returns from Charlotte someday. He will have some valuable experience and insight on the transit issue...which who knows, could be important around here in the future.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 697
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations to Peter.

In the grand scheme of things, Peter is one out of thousands who have left, and will leave, for identical reasons. We can't blame any of them for leaving Metro Detroit, or the state of Michigan for that matter. Are they selfish or self-centered ? No, because a number of them have worked their butts off to improve the situation here - only to be disappointed over and over and over again - through years and even decades.

Peter, Detroit's loss is Charlotte's gain. Thanks for your years of hardwork and dedication to Detroit.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 277
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Who's next? Supersport?

If I recall correctly he'd rather take a bullet than leave Detroit.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3983
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The squabbling, scandals, wasting of public money, and total lack of teamwork and vision for the area just wear you down after a while.

I don't blame someone for leaving and worse yet, staying and just checking out.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good smart people who care are card to come by these days. Maybe he can show somewhere else what can be done with good leadership in a city.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps he will move back if there are changes in people's attitudes towards progress. It's sad.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7151
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No more descendents of Robert Navarre.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A coup for TOD in Charlotte. One is hopeful that as Peter's first-hand transit expertise grows, he might be willing to use his experience and professional network back here to help influence the transit debate in our region.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1569
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gotta say I'm happy for the guy. He is taking advantage of what sounds like a great opportunity. Good for him. Peter did great work here and he will be missed. I wish him the best of luck in his new life. I hope it works out for him and he can move on from his frustration, which it seems is going to be pretty easy.

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who's gonna keep all the forum asshats in line?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7178
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm happy for him. Really!

And for a guy like him to bolt and his frank criticism of the politics here in this town are damning evidence that we need to change the atmosphere.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 976
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

North Carolina is exploding right now. My sister goes to college down there and every time I visit I am blown away by how many out-of-staters are headed that direction.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 339
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And for a guy like him to bolt and his frank criticism of the politics here in this town are damning evidence that we need to change the atmosphere

The problem being; the more voices of reason that leave makes that less and less of a possibility.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1570
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gotta say I liked how he framed his criticism or at least the parts I read in Howes' column. It wasn't the typical blanket statement that "Detroit sucks, F you" that gets everyone defensive. The message had sharp elbows but it got its point across. I would have liked to have read the whole email.

I do know this, Peter obviously cared a lot about his home and fought hard for it. His efforts were not wasted either. He helped make his corner of Detroit, at least in my eyes, a better place, and I am grateful for it. I am sure a lot of other people are, too. The only problem is, it seems like there are never enough people like him around.

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It reminds me of the plot of Ayn Rand's book "Atlas Shrugged" when the bureaucrats get divisive and paranoid and the whole world U.S. collapses. The great thinkers and doers just watch it unfold, then come back when the destruction is over, and rebuild from the ruins.

If the current politicians are not getting the job done, then what else is there except a total meltdown followed by opportunity. The problem is, it could take decades....

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11689
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...unless the Information Age hypers THAT, too!

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 446
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be joining Peter soon...I just emailed him too to congratulate and ask for a LinkedIn connection

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2344
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! I've actually met Peter in person. If he is leaving Detroit, I am surprised anyone is left there...

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 278
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if its poor forum etiquette to ask this, but who was Peter on here? If its impolite to ask, don't tell me just let me know not to ask.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3994
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering the same thing?

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

forum etiquette does not allow one person to "out" another. they must do it themselves, if they want...

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 279
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rsa.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2346
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit is far cooler than Charlotte."

I second Mr. Zeiler on that note...

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2347
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the first time since coming to Charlotte, I almost feel vindicated for 'giving up on Detroit'.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11690
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy,

Yeah, poor etiquette, although he was QUITE tangible...coming to many of our FSCs before Itsjeff passed.

He is a great guy.

Cheers

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the way the thread title looks, I thought someone died at first. Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill here.