Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Six cop cars--w/guns drawn- to make stop on GP/Det border??? » Archive through February 23, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few months Detroit police (2 cars) pulled over someone on the north side of 8 Mile. It may have started out as a traffic violation but it ended up with the driver in cuffs.

There's a big difference between a bordering police department spotting a traffic violation and helping out with something they didn't witness. Why would the DPD call for backup from another department when they could call for their own backup?

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 405
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just have to ask this question....when all of you have been pulled over, what was the reason? Were you speeding? Did you go through a red light? I understand that it's a very big problem in Detroit so maybe when you cross borders you forget where you are. If you didn't do anything wrong and are pulled over for nothing then I absolutely feel you were singled out for some reason. I expect my police department to protect and serve me, and if that means stopping law breakers, no matter where they are from, so be it.
I have been driving for over 45 years and have NEVER been pulled over. I obey traffic laws, don't speed, roll through stop signs, turn where I'm supposed to, don't make illegal U-turns; and, I have driven in Detroit, Grosse Pointe, St. Clair Shores, Warren, etc., etc., etc.
Explain to me why you think you're all being stopped. Are all of you black, white, yellow, red, blondes, redheads or what?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I have been driving for over 45 years and have NEVER been pulled over. I obey traffic laws, don't speed, roll through stop signs, turn where I'm supposed to, don't make illegal U-turns; and, I have driven in Detroit, Grosse Pointe, St. Clair Shores, Warren, etc., etc., etc.
Explain to me why you think you're all being stopped. Are all of you black, white, yellow, red, blondes, redheads or what?"

I really don't think race matters Ms. Daisy, but rather or not the police departments have the right to give tickets and arrest people driving outside their jurisdiction.

So in other words, if the Eastpointe police saw someone speeding, they should track them all the way to Downtown Detroit, just because they were breaking the law, without any say so from the DPD?

(Message edited by detroitrise on February 23, 2008)

Buyamerican

Post Number: 406
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We aren't talking about chasing someone all the way to downtown Detroit. We are talking about borders of one suburb to another. If Eastpointe Police starts chasing a speeder or a bank robber on Toepher and Kelly, I would think that they can continue the chase until Detroit assists them.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 236
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The more pregnant issue is that GP has been a "leader" in racial profiling for years. The solution is to drive down Warren, Cadieux, or Harper. If you take Mack, you're asking for trouble.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a ticket on Mack on my way to pick the kids up from CCD at St. Ambrose.

I didn't like it...but I am real glad those guys are there.

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 239
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand. I live in the GP school district. The taxes are exorbitant, so I guess you get what you pay for. I'll still not drive down Mack, its like asking for a ticket.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 407
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I disagree about driving on Mack. Unless you're driving over the speed limit or make an illegal turn, or do anything to break the law, you won't get stopped. Mack, from Alter to 10 Mile is okay as long as you obey the rules of the road. If you believe speed limits are not meant for you; or stop signs are for others, red lights mean "go", no U-turn means go ahead and do it, then for sure you'll get pulled over.

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 240
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We agree to disagree.Thats easy for you to say. I would assume you have the universal passport of European heritage.

Outoftown
Username: Outoftown

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, you agree to disagree. BA thinks that he should and will follow the law of the land. Meaghansdad has decided that he does not need to do so and that he should not be punished when he violates them. I wish the differences between the presidential candidates were this clear.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2982
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look folks, some of us don't drive and obey the speed limit. Some of us are heavy-footed and like a little speed. I am one of them. There are so many options to take than enter Grosse Pointe and face the high possibility of a speeding ticket.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 409
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've disagreed before. European heritage has nothing to do with it, as much as you'd like it to mean something. In the mind of many, it's always easier to blame your problems on something or someone else rather than to take responsibility for your own actions. Good driving skills and a respect for those who protect and serve is a big help.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My $.02: 1) When I moved to this area someone warned me about the GP Police, and ever since then I've driven there like I was in one of those old southern towns where cops lie in wait for Yankee speeders--2 mph under the speed limit at all times. I've never been ticketed. 2) I recently had the experience of crossing into GPP in a car that had a radar detector. It went off like mad at the border. The place is really wired to the max.

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 241
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A:I've never said I've disagreed with being ticketed if you're speeding, I've been ticketed for speeding before on Mack and deserved it. Ive also been pulled over for what I thought was speeding only to be warned about tail lights , but to consistently be hassled (which is primarily an AA experience is insulting.B: Race has a lot to do with it. I've lived in this area for the past 20 years, and I clearly see the inequities brought upon Detroiters (read black) by the GP police, especially with respect to the traffic laws. I and family members have been pulled over for driving too slow on Mack. As much as we(read those who dont experience DWB) want to believe that race doesnt factor in to those decisions, you're fooling yourselves.

I dont know what it's like to be a white male, to suffer all of those god awful, disgusting privileges and honors bestowed upon you by society, nor do I claim to, so please swallow the BS you speak of.I can assure you that it would be much easier for me to walk in your shoes than the reverse. Try being pulled over for driving too slow, with no traffic behind you. This doesnt occur only in GP, but Plymouth/Canton, Livonia, Northville as well.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 412
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's always easier to place the blame on others.
You've obviously had a real hard way to go with none of the privileges or honors you're speaking of. Funny, I can't remember anyone handing me anything that I didn't work for; nor has anyone ever given me extra points to pass a test..to get a job..to get an education.
If life has been so unfair for you in this area, why would you stay? You and your family have been harassed and oppressed by the GP police enough already.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3565
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Try being pulled over for driving too slow"

FYI a very frequent sign of drunk driving

Outoftown

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" can assure you that it would be much easier for me to walk in your shoes than the reverse."

Not in most Detroit neighborhoods.
And I'll bet a lot of "privileged" white kids are pulled over when driving in Detroit because they are white. The difference is they don't whine about it.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 694
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Driving carries way too much baggage in this community. I had mentioned in a previous thread about traffic violations, that a friend of mine received an 'impending traffic' ticket in Roseville costing $125 because of allegedly not having his headlights on. Let's just say that my friend isn't a White man. Cops in the Metro Detroit area, more common than just GP, are out to write tickets for revenue purposes. As much as some on this thread believe that the officers are there to serve and to protect, please stop suppressing your conscience. You know damn well, that if someone doesn't have headlights on, it only needs a honk to remedy the situation - not $125 ticket.

My advice to those of you who are constantly being pulled over, and being harassed ..... start thinking about embracing rapid mass transit. Save yourself the stress, and the hard-earned cash.

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 242
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Youre right,there was no test for you. Society and your forefathers saw to it that you didnt have to take it.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 413
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Total bull.

I need a violin.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3567
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If someone got an impeding traffic ticket for not having lights on they should have challenged it. For all of you whining about getting tickets how many of them have you tried to challenge?

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are you guys talking about? I drive in all the Pointes on a regular basis. Never had any problems being pulled over or have I seen an abundance of folks pulled over. Based upon my experiences the level of traffic enforcement in GP is no different than any in any other first ring suburb.

Just my 2 cents.

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 243
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drive in the Pointes(Woods,Farms) quite often as well. Based upon the ratio of traffic stops I've had, I would think I'm doing quite well, But the fact remains that there are some racial profiling (DWB) occuring at the Mack border.Alot of people would like to think that this is an ideal rainbow of "multiculturalism", but that just isnt the case, primarily with local law enforcement.

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 244
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The speed traps are in front of Sierra Station, and at St Clair Montefalco.

Outoftown

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

waaah waaah waaah waaah

No use crying over spilled milk, chocolate or otherwise.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 482
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The irony is that my brother (white by the way) was driving a beat up Sentra in Gross Pointe to meet me on several occasions. He was pulled over and ticketed for speeding or other minor issues. I have not, although I drive a newer, well-maintained vehicle.

Being white isn't a get out of jail free card Meaghansdad. Poor people get profiled regardless of race. Poor people, whether true or not, are perceived as being the source of most criminal acts police deal with (white-collar crimes of course, aren't ever seen by patrol officers).

I guess the point is that if you are poor, a minority, or just not part of the standard mass of people a cop expects to see in "his" neighborhood, you will probably be profiled in some way.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3568
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ much the way Detroit is viewed. I had someone tell me they 'saw' the 'visual clues' of Detroit's violent crime problem 'everywhere'.

I had to tell him, No, what you see are signs of poverty, not violent crime.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Young black kids in Detroit in a fancy white suv?

Why, they were just making Meals-On-Wheels deliveries, don'tcha think?

God bless the GP police, just tryin' to keep it real in a nice city smack-dab on top of a shit hole.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend who is white with his friends, while in high school, got pulled over by the DPD, the cop punched him because he was from G.P. and didn't like him.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 415
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe if Detroit Police didn't have their hands handcuffed instead of the thugs, Detroit would be a different city today. Remember, they have to always know "who the f--k I am" before they can do any good police work. They do their jobs and get penalized for doing it. They do their jobs and are accused of setting someone up. They do their jobs and get charges brought up against themselves. Can't blame them for having a pretty negative attitude towards anyone in Detroit, can you?