Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » One of Detroit's most staunch supporters, is gone :-( » Archive through February 25, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is NOT NEWS. Good luck to him, but does this really deserve to be in our newspaper, even as an editorial? The sky is not falling. The same way one person cannot make a city, one person cannot break a city.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 344
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...one person cannot break a city.

Kwame is making a pretty good run at that.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3573
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Good luck to him, but does this really deserve to be in our newspaper, even as an editorial?

Sure, why not? Peter appeared in the media when he was here.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11694
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lo_to_d,

It isn't news, don't be a jerk.

It ran in the opinion section.

Of opinions that deserve a voice, this is certainly one.

Cheers

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2348
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well he was certainly if nothing else, one of the current pioneers of the City of Detroit.

I was trying to explain to co-workers at lunch who he was and honestly how big of a deal I felt this was. I described it as if the mayor of Charlotte, took a position in Detroit while saying, "Charlotte is OK, but Detroit really has their stuff together--bye!" This really should be big news to Detroiters. It says, get your shit in order, or you are nearly done for.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1988
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quitter. ;)

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 329
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thing is, there ARE more people like him who can't seem to get their voices heard.
I went to a huge City Council candidates' forum during the last election - the one where some 120 people were running - and saw first-hand that about a dozen of the candidates shared the same zeal. They were smart and energetic and seemed to actually have a clue about what needs to be done. I got the impression that they'd said "enough is enough" and decided to run for the council because they knew they could make a difference.
What happened? Martha Reeves and Monica Conyers.
It's hard to make things happen when there's so much ignorance and - I'll say it, laziness - stacked against you. Losing people like Peter only makes it worse.
I also don't blame him - after a while you have to get tired of feeling like an unsung martyr.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 259
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“No more descendents of Robert Navarre.”

Wow, this takes me back about a decade. I remember the website “Navarre Arms,” http://mlloyd.org/gen/navarre/ text/arms.html and the statues on the façade of the Book-Cadillac Hotel—in those days it was shuttered with no hope for revival.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 558
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously, none of you saw him the evening he found out about his job offer. He was a little more, shall I say, open about his feelings about Detroit the night he found out he was moving.

Had you folks heard that diatribe you'd be having a fit worse than when Sarah Klein wrote the article in the Metro Times about her move out of Detroit.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 587
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zeiler, in his time in the city, was a dynamic, fun and interesting voice for change in the times I've talked to him.

The city of Detroit runs like a monarchy - discussion amongst the inner circle is not tolerated. It's/was Kwame and Christine's way or the highway.

Peter may come back - but I don't know. He's federal-level cabinet material in his skills, creativity, energy, and zeal. I have this feeling his star hasn't reached full brightness yet.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Had you folks heard that diatribe you'd be having a fit worse than when Sarah Klein wrote the article in the Metro Times about her move out of Detroit.

...which is probably why he said that in the company of friends who understand where he was at and his feelings on the subject, and not why he said it to a reporter on the record.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 559
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was shouting it at the top of his lungs, standing on chair. I'm pretty sure he wasn't addressing his friends.

Gannon

Post Number: 11696
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Years and years of pent-up frustration finally finding a vent?

Not unusual to over-speak...I'm sure alcohol wasn't a factor.

Nobody EVER regrets things they say when...happy houred.

Of course, he probably just jumped on the chair the moment he walked in, and announced it to an unknown room.

You were there, Dds, fill us in.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10122
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many of us feel the same way Mr. Zeiler feels(felt)? He is right on many accounts.

Here is a question. Has Mr. Zeiler done more good for Detroit than KK? Easy question isn't it? This is a big loss for Detroit.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was a renter. Who cares. Good riddance.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before I start this, I'll apologize for any offense anyone takes and just keep in mind that I'm not trying to be inflammatory.

I just don't understand why Mr. Zeiler gets a free pass for essentially bailing out. Granted, it sounds like he's done a tremendous amount of good and has put up with a lot, but aren't those more reasons to get upset at him leaving? Because you're losing someone good, right?

It sounds like the guy hit a lot of walls, but I missed the part where you get a free pass because of that. Almost every success story, from politician to businessperson to athlete, involves overcoming a lot.

I read a lot of these threads. I see people getting roasted on here almost daily for 'choosing' somewhere other than Detroit. Usually that is the suburbs, not Charlotte, but really it ends up the same. And many of the people that get roasted for going to the 'burbs probably aren't civic minded, active in their community, and really aren't bringing a lot to the table. Yet I see those people getting roasted for heading to the 'burbs. Yet when someone who actually does make a difference leaves, it's all "Oh, no problem, he tried." Sounds a bit backwards, really.

I don't really know too much about what he's done or who he is so I'm probably not the best person to comment...but whatever good has been done, it seems like a lot of that shine would come off when that moving van hits the state line.

Again, just my thought and I don't mean to offend anyone. Just sayin'.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I talked to him once about development; he seemed too keen on demolition.

Anyone who would leave the town they love is of questionable character.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2781
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Anyone who would leave the town they love is of questionable character."

That's pretty extreme, '53. I loved the town for what it was when I left, but I have no particular love for what it is now. Heartaches, yes, but that's different.

On the other hand, the reason for leaving was my retirement, so perhaps I paid my dues rather than bringing my questionable character to Nevada.

By the way, I spent the morning planting new purple lantana plants in my yard in my t-shirt. What did you do?

Outoftown
Username: Outoftown

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sirrea- I understand what you are saying. One major difference is that Mr. Zeiler did not move to a suburb where he could still work in metro Detroit and benefit from the agglomeration benefits that develop around an urban area that vast while contributing nothing to Detroit proper.

Instead, he has left the area completely, because there is absolutely no where and now way for him to succeed in metro Detroit. The subdued nature of the posts might be a result of folks having the wind knocked out of them. Sort of what would have happened if Bo Schembechler resigned to coach at Ohio.

DDS- you don't know what you're talking about. What have you done for the city lately?

Rax

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

By the way, I spent the morning planting new purple lantana plants in my yard in my t-shirt.

Gross.

I love how anyone that leaves Michigan feels the need to automatically tell you about the weather before you even ask. What those people don't realize is that no one really cares. And if the weather is the most interesting part of your life, I'll glady stay in the cold for 4 months out of the year.

Outoftown
Username: Outoftown

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1953 wrote-
"Anyone who would leave the town they love is of questionable character."

What an absolutely prima facia idiotic thing to say. By your logic most of the immigrants who came to these shores and founded this country along with all the pioneers who moved west as well as all the folks who have come here seeking political asylum were all of questionable character.

You should think about things a little more.

Gannon

Post Number: 11697
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Peter DESERVES a decent vacation.

Can't wait to hear his 'what I did' report...

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, 1953, that was pretty ridiculous. Thanks for making all those who left feel justified in getting away from the attitudes in this region.

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is too bad! Does he still post here? Maybe he can can start a "Detroiter in Carolina" blog so we can see what life is like down there. I know I'd read it!

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2698
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit, it's not just a city, it's a life sentence"

~Detroitist Handbook

Cdwaters
Username: Cdwaters

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never had my character questioned by someone I've never met before. Personally, I would question the character of anyone making such an absurd blanket statement.

Rax

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I'd question the character of someone who would question the perceived questionable character of a person they themselves have not met.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3581
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sun rises, the sun sets, the world goes 'round

and, somehow, Detroit still exists.

Amazing, no?

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 797
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish Peter all the luck in his new job.

Thanks for all the work you did while you were fighting the good fight.

To the others who want to bust his balls for deciding he needed a change of scenery - well...

You all sound like a smothering girlfriend who scares away a good prospect.

Your own insecurities are showing through loud and clear.

To think that once you decide to be a champion for the city and do tons of great work on behalf of the city, that you can never leave!

Welcome to jail!

Did you ever think that the best chance for Peter to possibly come back to the city and contribute at a later date might involve him leaving?

And if he decides to never come back - at least we were lucky enough to be the recipients of his hard work and dedication while he was here.

If you love someone, set them free....

figuratively of coarse.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2743
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I read a lot of these threads. I see people getting roasted on here almost daily for 'choosing' somewhere other than Detroit. Usually that is the suburbs, not Charlotte, but really it ends up the same. And many of the people that get roasted for going to the 'burbs probably aren't civic minded, active in their community, and really aren't bringing a lot to the table. Yet I see those people getting roasted for heading to the 'burbs. Yet when someone who actually does make a difference leaves, it's all "Oh, no problem, he tried." Sounds a bit backwards, really.

Leaving Detroit for another metropolitan area is not the same as leaving Detroit proper for a suburb. The former is a rejection of what makes metro Detroit malfunction, while the latter is just feeding into what makes metro Detroit malfunction.