Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Funding for Additional East Riverwalk Const. and Dequindre Cut Phase II Design « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ericsprague
Username: Ericsprague

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DEGC OKs RiverWalk funding

A $40 million funding agreement for Phase 3 of the Riverwalk improvement project was OK’d, the next step for work to get underway on the landscaped walk/bike path from Rivard Street to Gabriel Richard Park and a pavilion on city property.

Also approved Tuesday was a proposal to hire JJR L.L.C., Ann Arbor-based engineers and landscape architects, to design Phase II of the Dequindre Cut Greenway project between Gratiot and Mack avenues.

Full article:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2008 0226/REG/420695855/1011

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 428
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great news!

sucky forum software

I just uploaded my photos from the Riverwalk
http://www.m-bike.org/gallery/ main.php?g2_itemId=2027

...and Dequindre Cut (the last 3 are new)
http://www.m-bike.org/gallery/ main.php?g2_itemId=2028&g2_pag e=3

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 644
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like there's still transit planned for the future of the DC.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com /3040/2289321576_84255076c0_o. jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com /2056/2288532485_1c2ff2f496_o. jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com /2361/2289321484_5aa011003d_o. jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com /3239/2289321446_d856ffed66_o. jpg

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6364
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the great pics folks!

One item that caught my eye was in the planning map... there was a spot for a future amphitheatre.

Well... if they plan on tearing down the relatively new Chene Park Amphitheatre for one in Hart Plaza (after it was upgraded from a new 3,000 seat amphitheatre to a newer 5,000 seat amphitheatre)... please no more money wasted on building yet another amphitheatre! :-(

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 430
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the latest on Tricentennial Park. The DNR expects Phase II to go to bid next month. They believe they are still on schedule for a June start. If everything works out, there's a possibility of it being completed this year.

Note that Phase II is from the large grassy mound to Rivard Plaza.

Also, the Dequindre Cut connector from Woodbridge to Atwater has hit a snag. Some underground storage tanks were found and there may be some unforeseen cleanup issues. Originally the DEGC had committed to completing that connector with their money. That discovery adds some uncertainty.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11368
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update FT. It will be amazing to see all of that completed.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Way cool, I can't wait.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4564
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great News. Great Pictures, thanks.

Detroit rises.

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 107
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Just wondering, what would public/forum thought would be on bringing back the C.N.G. Trolleys for specific transit use? One suggestion would be just Deq. Cut use. Wisper quiet, clean burning, Way cool retro looking trolleys running up and down the cut. Of course, all incorporated with the planned bike and walking paths.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 830
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A trolly sounds great, shuttling folks from Eastern Market to the Riverwalk, it sounds nice.

However, the amphitheatre location confuses me. I thought an amphitheater was someplace you went to hear things. Why build a hearing place next to a noisy roadway?

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 433
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think that amphitheater is all that big. I imagine it would be used more for small, more informal (and free) events. I think the amphitheater got cut from Phase I because they needed extra money to deal with a storm sewer, but I could be wrong.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 465
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I really believe that a Trolley should be built along the cut and maybe somehow travel down Atwater to the RenCen.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 217
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Cng Trolleys or even the old Washington Blvd. Trolleys can and should be utilized on the Deq. Cut. DDOT has both sitting idle.

Sandyrabbit
Username: Sandyrabbit

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kind of a change of subject, but i used to work for an excavating company, over near temple and rosa parks. we dug this huge trench and about 3 feet down i noticed these torn up tracks. i asked my super what they were and he said they were the old trolley tracks, i was young at the time and kinda new to the city, so never knew we had trolleys. i thought i was really neat. would love to see one here again!
:-) that people mover freaks me out sometimes.
:-)

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Karl jr., I had thought about the W. Blvd trolleys, but they would require narrow guage track, doable, but We can have the new Trolleys up and running in no time.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 528
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Washington Blvd. Trolleys running along Atwater Street would be a perfect addition to the Riverwalk.

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Now that would be cool, and useful.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 995
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ramcharger, I like your idea of the trolleys running along Atwater. I would take it one step further and jog them towards the river at 300 River Place so not only would riders have a great view, the route could continue on to Harbortown, and eventually all the way to the MacArthur Bridge. The walkway is at least 40 feet wide along this stretch and there would certainly be plenty of room.

(Message edited by DetroitSTAR on March 02, 2008)

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 466
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was my idea above. :-)

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 437
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need trolleys on our non-motorized trails? Is this so people don't have to ride a bike for a couple miles? Or are we trying to keep Detroit among the top ten least healthy cities in America list? C'mon, lets ride and walk!

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 529
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fishtoes2000, Unfortunately not everyone is young or healthy enough to walk several miles.
The trolley would allow ALL of Detroit’s citizens to enjoy the Riverwalk and the beautiful Detroit River.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 438
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some non-motorized trails allow the physically disabled to use low-speed motorized devices. I don't know the Riverwalk policy. However, you're probably not going to get a trolley on it to carry the infirm.

And don't play the young card or I'll put Harry Denman on you. :-)
http://iamdetroit.com/valerie/ #/harry-denman/

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Anyway, One of the biggest concerns of a transportation company, such as D.D.O.T., is A.D.A.,So, Yes, We would get a trolley to carry the Folks who fall under the A.D.A. Act. And We would preform this service with a smile.

Rocket_city

Post Number: 654
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's all about mobility. Having transit options on the Dequindre Cut would make it an excellent TOD, or Transit Oriented Development focus.

The high end development of the riverfront is not an "if" but a "when", and when it happens, there are going to be a lot of people who live there that will patronize Eastern Market.

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Very true, R. City, Well said.

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 468
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, the transit could be for somebody who wants to run to belle isle but not come back to there car at the rencen. its all about options.

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 119
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Options, Outstanding detsport, Well put.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 439
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If your trolleys need to run from Belle Isle to the RenCen, they can run on Jefferson and Atwater. There's no need for them to run on the Riverwalk where there is not enough room and they probably can't even make the some of the tight turns.

Why would anyone put a trolley system in a below grade right-of-way when the at-grade roads are more convenient for residents and the physically challenged?

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 121
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, But say the realm of studies have said it will and can work, Now all We look for are opinions from the public, and then compile them and give it a go based on all the factors.

Rocket_city

Post Number: 658
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The intention was for a trolly or street car line along Atwater to service the riverfront. Studies are also looking into making connections in and out of the Dequindre Cut. Also, convenience is not an argument. The DC will be completely accessible to everyone...it's a public space.

It's usage would obviously be limited, which is why I would bet that a mode of transit less than light rail would be implimented... that would be trolly or streetcar.

That doesn't mean transit can't be built along Jefferson either.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there were studies done on putting a trolley/light rail system in the cut. it was deemed feasible and, initially at least, there have been plans for the biking trail to share the cut with a future light rail system. the idea is that it would connect, in the future, the new east riverfront residential district to eastern market. i don't know if this plan has been maintained throughout the construction phase though; i guess we'll see when they start doing the paving next month.

they are having to deal with some underground storage tanks? eeek; that's bad news. it's not simply removing the tanks, but soil testing, removing contaminated soil, refilling with clean soil, etc. all of which can get very expensive. i hope it doesn't turn out that way.

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought i remember reading about how the city sold all of the remaining historic trolleys to an out of state museum, or something. so the city no longer has any light rail, in storage or otherwise.

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, The Trolleys, both C.N.G. and Rail, are ready, for whatever future purpose has been slated for them.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 307
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's own Millenium Park...finally coming to fruition

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.