Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Tigers Opening Day Plans « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody have any suggestions on what to do for Opening Day? My wife and I were planning on getting tickets, but I just found that they are only available to season ticket holders and the cheapest tix on StubHub are going for $150 each -- ouch! No way we can afford that, so we're looking for alternatives.

Are any bars planning special parties for Opening Day? What about the former 5th Avenue/On Deck Circle Bar at the Montcalm/Witherell corner of CoPa? Does anybody know if that's going to re-open in any form this season?

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 351
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Single game tickets go on sale March 1st @ 10am. I'll be online and waiting. If I don't get tickets I'll be @ work.

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might not want to waste your time, doyle. The Tigers have decided not to make Opening Day tickets available for individual sale at all this year:

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/in dex.ssf/2008/02/explaining_ope ning_day_tickets.html

I'll probably just get on there Saturday and try to get some tickets for later in the season. But since I live two blocks away from the ballpark, I'd still like to get in on the festivities even if I can't get tix for Opening Day.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4562
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it isn't the same, but my tradition has been to go to the second home game. Plenty of of seats and same old game of baseball. The only reason to go opening day is for glitz, like to watch the mayor throw out the first pitch. [sorry couldn't resist] My favorite recent memory of a second day opening was from three or four years ago when the temperature was in the 70's. Warm thoughts on a cold day - seven month of warm weather are just around the corner!

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be going to my first opening day this year. I hope it is as warm as opening day 3 years ago. I had opening day tickets to that game but got incredibly sick, and had to give them up.

Where are the pre-game hot spots? I'd like to go somewhere indoors (in case it's cold).

Tk65
Username: Tk65

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Id pay 150 bucks to boo the Mayor. Last year a week before the game the Tigers offered season ticket holders the chance to buy standing room onlys. Doesnt look like thats going to happen this year. Ill be there anyway.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 984
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year there was a great party in Grand Circus Park with live music, beer and food. That was a great addition, that I do not remember from previous seasons.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone need tickets to Opening Day #2? I don't want mine. I enjoy the tradition of the real opener. Even with all the red carpet and suburbanites.

Toeknowknee
Username: Toeknowknee

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Checkers Bar and Grille has great burgers and its right in the midst of everything.

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We tailgated around the corner from St. Andrews. Had around 20 of us. Some had tickets, some didn't. The ones that didn't made their way over to Town Pump and took in the festivities on our way over. Great day, great weather! We shall be doing the same this year.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 364
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, here's my suggestion.
Forget about tickets.
They're not worth what you'll have to pay.

The good old days are gone, and they're not comin' back.

Sit at work, listen to Dan Dickerson on the radio, and save yourself several hundred (or perhaps thousand) dollars.

It's disgusting that the Tigers are only making Opening Day tix available now to people who purchase complete 81-game packages. Disgusting.

But that's capitalism for you, which itself, is all too often disgusting.

Prior to last season, I went to 14 or 15 home openers in a row, but I NEVER had to shell out the kinda dough they're askin' for now.

The Tigers have a great team (on paper) and a shiny new arcade (er, "ballpark"), but for my money, they've ruined our little slice of the "great American pastime."

At these prices, it doesn't seem so great anymore.

The only way they'll get me in that place again is if they bring back "Turn Back the Clock Night."

But they don't even have the decency to offer that anymore.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have to pay the salaries for all these superstars. They have to make the revenue match that.

I'd rather pay a bit higher prices and have to fight for tickets than have low ticket prices, empty seats all over the stadium, and a crappy team. We had enough of those years, thank you very much.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh boo hoo hoo. i knew people would start complaining about tickets once the tigers started getting good. IMO, i'd much rather have the problem of lack of tickets then the problem of a terrible team.

my opening day tix are $14 bucks a piece. the mrs. and i are going to our 5th home opening in a row. we bought a mini-package the year after the infamous 2003 season and kept renewing ever since. in five seasons, this is the first time they raised our prices. and that was only $2.

with the crowds comes more debaucherie. every year places have been getting more crowded and more rowdy. i can't think of a single place within a seven block radius of the stadium that wasn't wall to wall drunk people last year. not exactly nice drunk people either. not exactly my scene, but there's your fair warning. i'd recommend going to your local neighborhood watering hole...

btw., they had at least four "turn back the clock nights" last season.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 365
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These superstars, great as they are, are OVERPAID beyond belief. When will fans wake up and realize that with every ticket and hot dog and T-shirt they buy at Comerica Park, they're contributing to the whole mess.

The salaries are outrageous, the ticket prices are outrageous, that screaming, beeping, flashing, honking, annoying ballpark is outrageous ... the whole damned sport (on the "professional" level anyhow) has transmogrified (Did I just say "transmogrified? beyond recognition.

Pro sports and their mindless marketing machines are doing about as much harm to this country as they are good.

How soon before MLB morphs into the WWE?

Next thing you know, they'll be launching Zumaya out of the bullpen CANNON to the pitcher's mound, where Vince McMahon and a harem of buxom bimbos with cordless microphones wait with bated breath, all while the latest runner-up to the runner-up of "American Idol" butchers Fogerty's "Centerfield" over the P.A.

God, I love this game.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Prior to last season, I went to 14 or 15 home openers in a row, but I NEVER had to shell out the kinda dough they're askin' for now.

Gee golly, I wonder why? Maybe it was the averaging 90+ losses every year.

Bring back the losing!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1867
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i also do the second game every year for about 6 years now. It is cheaper and there are tons of open seats. i'm doing game 2 and 3 this year

Kiara
Username: Kiara

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah tons of bars/restaraunts get in on the opening day bonanza.. just go anywhere around the ballpark. also, like someone said, grand circus had a big block party last year and i'll bet they are gonna do that again this year. i love opening day, it's like a holiday, downtown gets rockin and it's the official start os baseball and spring!

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was this thread about, anyway?

Oh, yeah, Opening Day plans! It's not Opening Day in Detroit unless you spend some time upstairs at the Old Shillelagh. I know it's a tourist trap, but the place is still good for special occasions. Also, grabbing a beer at Coach's Corner and walking across the street to drink it in Harmonie Park is a good bet if the weather is good.

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're selling our 2008 Opening Day tickets. Last year we got enough to pay for our parking the rest of the season. Life is good in America! GO PUDGE!! (Just caught the opening of the season on the radio 97.1 I miss Ernie and his turtle story. Just not the same without him)

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

These superstars, great as they are, are OVERPAID beyond belief. When will fans wake up and realize that with every ticket and hot dog and T-shirt they buy at Comerica Park, they're contributing to the whole mess.

Jesus, get over it. There are 1,280 players in the league on the active 40 man rosters. The game is global, so these are the best players in the world. Let em' earn whatever the owners can pay them. I'm with RSA on this. Have fun listening to AM radio and eating your turkey sandwich at your desk.

Tk65
Username: Tk65

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some people bitch just to bitch.

"Our team sucks, when will we get good, this sucks........ Our team is good now this sucks, too many people and it costs to much, this sucks"

rolleyes.

Scs_scooter

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are Ernie's welcoming words of spring and with that, Tiger Baseball!

For, lo, the winter is past,
The rain is over and gone;
The flowers appear on the earth;
The time of the singing of birds is come,
And the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 575
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scs_scooter,

Have extra tixs for the BoSox or N.Y. Yankees?

Emu_steve

Post Number: 576
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad guys we couldn't get together on a 1/2 season tix.

I don't live in MI but I'll be in town for the BoSox, Yanks and then again for a week around Labor Day.

I'd been glad to relinsh any interest in opening day tickets.

Scs_scooter

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emu-steve drop me an email.
gaylinn48080 AT comcast DOT net

Emu_steve

Post Number: 577
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SCS,

Will do.

Need to talk before Saturday.

Sat morning I'm trying to get a bunch of tixs.

Steve

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2796
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For what it's worth, the Lions jacked up their 2008 prices today also.

At least you're seeing a quality game with the Tigers.

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harry's is always a good place on Opening Day. They clear out the parking lot for patrons to party and this year will have a rooftop deck. Plus, it is only a short walk to the stadium and you don't have to deal with as many traffic/parking problems.

http://www.harrysdetroit.com/e vents.html

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, No tickets, Say it ain't so.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 366
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point, Ray.
Good point.

Of course, the Lions haven't been worth watching on TV, let alone in person, since Barry retired.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 248
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm willing to buy extras if anybody willing to sell. I didn't renew my plan this year...27 games is too many. Plus that 2 dollar increase turns into $100+ for the package

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be coming up for the opener from Charleston. I'd like to bring my son up for his first Opener (he'll be one year old! He was only 10 days old for the last opener!) but the weather and the typically obnoxious opening day crowd has me reconsidering bringing him.

Hopefully, the fact that Tiger tix are at a premium this year will keep most keep most of the drunk, obnoxious jackasses out of the opener for once!

This team is the real deal...

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't bring a child to Opening Day. There will be plenty of opportunities to take him to a game. My buddies and I also adhere to a strict "No Girlfriends" policy for the Opener, partly because it's a guys night out kind of thing and also because we see so much boyfriend/girlfriend drama on that day after a long day of boozing it up.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 368
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a good age for a boy's first ballgame is around 5 or 6. That way, he can fully appreciate where he is and what it all means.

That is, of course, if it's 1968 and his first game is at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull.
(I know ... I'm such a spoilsport.)

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 235
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not as if this is a huge increase in demand from the past few recent years. My friend paid $150/ticket for upper level seats for the 2007 Opener as well. I had tickets to the '06 Opener, sold them for $125 each...of course, those were Outfield Box, now you can't even get Skyline for that.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a limo with 24 people coming from the northern burbs. We'll be at Old Shillelagh at 9am. Not all of us have tickets. Buy a single from someone on the way into the game for less than 50 and just walk around. Some standing areas are better than 90% of the seats. Cheli's after the game and the limo picks us all up at 6. Great day.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 866
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every year I'm at work listening to the radio (AM sucks in this building) and trying to track online.. and every year I wish I could go. Now I find out I can't even buy tickets? Chances are I'll be at my desk again. I wonder if I can bring in a few beers to sip on. I'm sure Kwame wouldn't mind.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll definitely be hitting the Old Shillelagh - provided my son isn't coming.

Incidentally, his first game was last summer, at the tender age of 3 months.

Anybody think Kwame will show up to throw out the first pitch? How about a "recall" chant if he does?

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 259
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Lord, if Kwame has the nerve to show up, I can't imagine the negative reaction. Last time seemed bad enough.

Oh, and apparently people are already starting to receive their season tix for this year, so it looks like there won't be such a debacle as folks try to find their tickets at the last minute like last year.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I’m gonna drive downtown, tailgate in an abandoned field, go the park, watch the game, get drunk, and get the hell outta there before dark!

Yeah Metro Detroit!

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Opening day- Hanging off the big fence behind Kaline and Greenberg. A 40, a pack of camels, and two bags of peanuts---just where i was when they won the 06 ALCS

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.