Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Wyandotte Wind Farm plan » Archive through February 21, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5228
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080219/METRO 01/802190318/1408/LOCAL

quote:

WYANDOTTE -- City officials say they are making strides in the quest to build one of the nation's first urban wind farms.
This week, Wyandotte plans to submit results from a one-year avian study to the U.S. Department of Energy. The findings, coupled with results gathered from two meteorological towers, are encouraging for plans to construct five turbines near the Detroit River, said Melanie McCoy, the city's general manager of municipal services.

"Now we have wind data and it's showing that this is a good project," she said. "Optimistically, within a year, we could start construction."

McCoy said the avian study, conducted during the spring and fall of 2006 and 2007, tracked bird migration patterns at four sites, using radar detectors to gauge the impact on birds and bats. Meteorological towers up for about a year are estimating wind capacity of the future turbines would be about 25 percent -- making the project economical, McCoy said. The $190,000 studies show the five 1.8 megawatt turbines would each generate enough energy to supply power to 500 to 700 homes.

Wyandotte is the first community in Michigan to propose an urban wind energy project, but others aren't far behind.

Last August, Taylor signed a $100,000 deal to build a pair of 120-foot-tall meteorological towers in the city's north and south ends to evaluate their chances of harnessing the wind. Officials said they'd measure velocity for a year before considering spending $3 million on two 1.5 megawatt turbines in 2009. Traverse City and Mackinaw City have a few, and a 32-turbine wind farm is operating in Pigeon, near the Thumb. Another project is pending in Huron County.

This seems like good news to me. Maybe Granholm's right, this could be an opportunity for our area.

(Message edited by johnlodge on February 20, 2008)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5229
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The U.S. Department of Energy seems to agree we're a great place for this type of investment and research.

http://www.eere.energy.gov/win dandhydro/windpoweringamerica/ maps_template.asp?stateab=mi

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5231
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a list of Michigan Manufacturers who currently produce unique components for the wind industry. There is also a map showing locations.

http://www.nextenergy.org/cm/a ttach/C3C1421E-46C2-4005-B7A5- 515E16546DFC/Michigan_Wind_Mfg _Brochure_10-07.pdf

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 839
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there will be tax credits of up to 50% off property taxes for those who put eligible windmills on their property under Governor Granholm's plan

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a great idea. Don't let RFK jr.know about the project he didnt seem to think it was such a good idea when in his backyard.
Talk about a hypocrite.

http://www.grist.org/news/muck /2006/01/12/capecod/

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why doesn't the city try and do this. with all the urban prairie because of the loss of population i think it could be done, or why not Belle Isle with all the land there?

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 859
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Omg. Progressiveness? Here!? Excellent news. We need so much more of this. Anyone who opposes should be shot.

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is really great news. I hope it goes through. It seems Toronto's turbine has had positive results and it'd be great to see that here, too. http://www.windshare.ca/explac e/the_wind_turbine.html

Plus, they make really cool objects on the landscape, like the corn fields of Iowa where I saw my first wind farm almost a few years ago (http://www.trekearth.com/galle ry/photo70915.htm).

Umbound, I've thought about that, too, using some of the urban prairie. Especially around Concord north of Harper where there's quite a bit of open space. Or how about the jetty and water at the northeast end of Belle Isle.

Umbound

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would work, or just level off a whole neighborhood that is blighted with very little population, move the people and build them there you could put quite a few there.

Gene

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umbound, let me see a neighborhood that is blighted with very little population?? Most of the eastside would qualify.

Umbound

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha yeah my dad has a liquor store on the eastside, they should do that and on top of that add farmland or some to it also. it would work i think, but it wont happen in the city anyway.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gene did you read RFK Jr's op-ed in the NY Times?

He presents a pretty fair argument.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 590
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who'd of thunk that downriver would be so forward thinking?!

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 273
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can see Eastside scrappers now, drooling over the new crop of copper needed to move power from the windmills.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5232
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Windpower in the U.S. has increased 45% in the last year, and accounted for 30% of investment in power generation.

quote:

The AWEA (American Wind Energy Association ) said this year's new wind power installation will be about the same as in 2007. Growing fast has its pains, and one is that growth in 2008 will be limited by a shortage of wind turbines. The AWEA said wind turbines are sold out for the year, a condition it says will ease as more manufacturers enter the burgeoning market."

Not enough wind turbines being manufactured to keep pace with demand!

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to mention the amount of skilled trades to manufacture and erect wind turbines. This really is a great movement that will benefit all.

Gene

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Gene did you read RFK Jr's op-ed in the NY Times?
He presents a pretty fair argument

Dan, I read the editorial textbook example of a NIMBY-ism.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5245
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1) But they're loud!

I stood right next to the one up by Traverse City. I couldn't hear anything.

2) But they'll kill birds!

As many as strip mining entire habitats for coal, then filling the air with carbon when you burn it? Seriously, like the people who fight wind farms really give two shits about a bird any other time.

3. But it will taint the view from my lakefront mansion!

F#ck off.

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wyandotte is not bound to DTE like most cities. They have their own city electric utility, as well as cable tv. (few years back, they even had their own phone co.)
Gotta give Wyandotte credit, they're still looking ahead and do not want to be dependant on oil/coal/natural gas.No way they could afford a nuclear plant.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 323
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen JohnLodge. Ask the NIMBYs if they'd rather live next to a windmill or an oil refinery.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 324
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can see Eastside scrappers now, drooling over the new crop of copper needed to move power from the windmills.

Heh. Let 'em at it - AFTER the lines are live. Problem solved.

Mind_field

Post Number: 860
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1) But they're loud!

I stood right next to the one up by Traverse City. I couldn't hear anything.

2) But they'll kill birds!

As many as strip mining entire habitats for coal, then filling the air with carbon when you burn it? Seriously, like the people who fight wind farms really give two shits about a bird any other time.

3. But it will taint the view from my lakefront mansion!

F#ck off.

Exactly!

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mind and John, you're right on with the noise issue. It's just a NIMBY argument. It's all about number 3 and in my opinion I think it would enhance the view just like the Golden Gate Bridge certainly adds to the beauty of the Golden Gate. Last year, I believe it was, there was an outcry about a proposed wind farm off Pentwater along the same lines.

When I stood in the field to take the photo of the linked image I posted above I could hear nothing. I was surrounded by 55 turbines and only if I listened very very carefully I could barely hear a very slight whooshing sound. It was actually pretty eerie being surrounded by all those towers with moving blades and hearing nothing. At 300 meters a modern turbine is as quiet as the reading room of a library.

As for bird kills they apparently result in less than 1 death per 10,000, far less than radio towers, buildings and such and like you said are certainly a better alternative to strip mining.

A link to FAQs at the American Wind Energy Association
http://www.awea.org/faq/wwt_en vironment.html

Additionally they provide money to the property owners on whose property they are located. I believe it's 2000 dollars a month per tower at the Cerro Gordo Wind Farm and they only occupy something like 50 by 50 feet of ground.

(Message edited by elsuperbob on February 21, 2008)

(Message edited by elsuperbob on February 21, 2008)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5281
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erect some in Capitol Park.

The downed pigeons could be used for food by its underprivileged residents, and the electricity could fire up boom boxes, microwaves, and toaster ovens there.

If there are ample pigeons, some entrepreneurs could set up part-time take-out businesses there for park patrons.

Mind_field

Post Number: 862
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Domestic house cats and birds flying into the windows of houses built in the countryside account for far FAR more bird deaths every year than every last wind turnbine in this country. That is such a ridiculous argument.

I'm so sick of selfish people. me, me, ME! It's all about what I want!

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 272
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wi kipedia/commons/2/2d/US_wind_p ower_map.png

Put them in the middle of the Lakes outside the Shipping lanes, better yet, use the wave generating power plants:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W ave_farm

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6337
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a better idea would be to strap LY to one of the windmill blades, so that while it's turning his screams will alert birds from getting to close to be injured... :-)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5283
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better yet. Strap Gerhard to one instead, and the pigeons will shower him to his utter delight and glee.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 419
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or, on days without much wind, we could sit 3rdworldcity in front of the turbine so he can keep repeating...
quote:

Why is it that there is no commercial wind generation or solar energy production in MI? BECAUSE THEY WON'T WORK HERE!

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/101701.html :-)

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 274
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought I would pour a little fuel on this fire:

http://www.treehugger.com/file s/2008/02/virgin_atlantic_1.ph p