Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » New Bike Shop To Open In Cass Corridor / Midtown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 750
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A new bike shop, to be called "H.U.B." (helpful urban bikers, honest urban bikers?) will open in the old Detroit Summer (roughly MLK and Cass) space this saturday March 1st. It is a market rate bike resale and repair shop, opened by the owners of the Rock Dove bike courier service as well as some of the more advanced mechanics at Back Alley Bikes. I am not financially affiliated with them at all (just personal friends with some of them) i'm mainly an advocate of bikes and small business in the city. Come out Saturday, or after, to support these blokes. Bring any bikes to repair, etc...
If any of you are familiar with Bike Tech, one of their star mechanics, Jack Vandyke, is mainly behind this endeavor.

And don't worry, Back Alley will continue to function as planed.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 424
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the heads up. I have a couple of bikes that are in need of repair.

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking for three new bikes for the summer. One for me, and two for my kids. Will certainly support if they have what I'm looking for.

(Message edited by gotdetroit on February 29, 2008)

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you know what time they'll be open tomorrow, or in general? I really need to get my bike fixed before it warms up(if it ever does).

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too, will have to check them out. Iam in the market for a very sturdy bike. My plans for 2 days out of the week are to ride my bike to work and I need a very comfortable bike to ride. not to mention the fact that I need to lose weight this year.

Diesel
Username: Diesel

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have had some great experiences with these guys they know their stuff. Highly recommended!!

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 203
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to thread jack, but if anyone wants a free bike let me know at hotmail (same handle.) It's a nice 70's Schwinn in need of some brake help and tweaking of the chain. Loved this comfy bike with wide seat, but needed something more reliable that stops when I need it to.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 753
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I brought in the first bike of the season for repairs this AM on their opening day! haha! I beat you all!

If you take bikes to them now for fix ups and tune-ups, the benefit is two fold, you assist them financially with these tough early months + you can beat the spring / summer bike rush and get your wheels back on the street in a matter of one or two days!

These guys do plan on renovating their space more, but they've already done alot. i'm proud to see the store taking shape. stop by there to support them.

They don't have alot of NEW parts for sale out side of basics, like headlights, tubes, etc... but they are especially great for repairs. Jack is the best mechanic i've ever met. take any broken bikes to them!

Cass and MLK.

(Message edited by andylinn on March 01, 2008)

Pmardo
Username: Pmardo

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too can affirm the skills of the mechanics at The Hub. I trust my bike to Jack more than anyone else. They will take care of you and provide a far more personal service than anywhere else. Let's all support this store so that it will last and serve the Midtown area for years to come.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 435
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there this morning as well for the opening. It's a very cool space.

There was another opening for the new coffee shop at Griswold and Grand River. I had a good cup of coffee there and looked around. There was an old thread on this: https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/95340.html

Kristina
Username: Kristina

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way late on this...
But just to clarify, is this the old Back Alley Bike shop or...?

Kristina
Username: Kristina

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, the answer's at the top. Derr.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 887
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great news

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4095
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice to see this happen

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 754
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/the-hub13308.aspx

English
Username: English

Post Number: 668
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to purchase a nice used bike, but don't have a bike rack on my car... any suggestions, short of biking it up to A2? (Not quite that good yet...)

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 755
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best place for a rack system would be REI if you want the premium stuff like Yakima. or you can check with you local dealer and ask what they can provide.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 756
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you mean in terms of where to go to bike. I love taking a trip around belle isle and the riverwalk is always fun. Also Kensington is good but you may as well go to a2 if you are going to do that. there is also alot of great biking to be done in the city.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 669
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Urbanoutdoors! My roommate here in grad school bikes all the time when the weather is nice... it would be great to bike in the city and in A2 (also good exercise).

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English,

It sounds like you're looking for rides in the city (Detroit) but I'm not sure - if so, email me at barutakid at yahoo dot com and I can share some things with you.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.