Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Focus Hope « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bdglsmn
Username: Bdglsmn

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been wondering for quite a while now how Focus Hope on Oakman has been doing. When Father Cunningham was alive it seems as thought they were always in the news for the great work that they were (and hopefully still are) doing but I've been back here in the area for two years now and I haven't heard a thing about them.

Is co-founder Eleanor Josaitis is still involved? Is the organization still healthy? That place fed and trained a lot of people back in the late 70's and the early 80's and I've always felt that it was an under-appreciated and under-utilized entity here in Detroit.

I remember the day Father Cunningham died. One of the TV stations ran an earlier interview with him and he related the story of what he did the day the doctors told him that he was dying... He said he drove to Belle Isle and sat there for a long time just looking at the water. He said that he became angry not because he was dying but because he had a lot more work to do and he didn't have the time to get it done.

He was a good man.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes I agree, he started a good thing for the city and they had an excellent training program, as for it still being in operation i don't know. The building on Chalmers off I-94 seems to have been closed for some time, but the city does need more organizations like focus hope.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. Josaitis is still on the board, but I think she doesn't have any formal role anymore other than that.

My impression is that she is a nice woman, but not a good administrator--she was too nice to get rid of unproductive staff. They were in some financial difficulty a few years ago partly as a result. I don't know how they are doing now--most non-profits in the Detroit area are struggling to deal with a contracting donor base.

It is a worthwhile program, so I would like them to be doing well.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3598
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.focushope.edu/

quote:

In addition, the Board of Directors is seeking a new CEO (see job description)

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was coming back from the Park Bar with Hope Lange. We had been slamming back shots with Jerry and though, to the rest of the world I may have been showing my consumption...I really was trying to get Hope back into the game....she kept mumbling about Faith and Charity and stumbling over the curbs as we headed back toward the Cuban Restaurant where we left our car.

Every block, it was the same thing, I would try to steer her towards our destination and she would wander off to talk with some pan handler.

"Focus Hope!" I l kept saying "Focus Hope!"

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That probably what I would do when I find out I'm gonna die. Go to a favorite spot and say to myself why the hell didn't I do this or that. Hopefully I'll have some more good things to dwell on also.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 473
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad worked there as assistant General Manager of Production for 4 years. He left about 3 years ago.

I remember him telling me they lost a lot of funding from the big 3, partly due to poor fiscal performances by them at the time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.