Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Zoo Water Tower » Archive through February 28, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 988
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While driving my daughter to school this morning, I remarked to her how nice the rose color sunrise shone off the water tower at the Detroit Zoo in Royal Oak. She asked about this landmark tower, and while I could give her some cursory knowledge of water towers in general, I had to admit I new little of this one. I did search the archives here, and a Google search as well, and could come up with little more then mentions or photos. I know I may be carpet bombed with links and sneers, but I still would like to gather a knowledge and history for this tower, and perhaps some help with how they work and distribute water.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5301
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting question. the Zoo folks have to have a historian of some kind. I would give a call to the zoological society

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 990
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Rb336. That would be a logical starting place, as I was unaware of such a Historian. Any others care to share?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11733
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great question, I had to laugh at the first thing I thought...how some haters would have to read Kwame's name on it for a while longer...

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Zoo water tower has been unused for over two decades (except as a landmark, of course). The exact year of discontinued use is given in a book about the Zoo that came out relatively recently.

I know that water towers for factories and such often aren't needed as much today because high-powered pumps are used. But the water still has to be pumped into the tower anyway. Apparently traditionally, it was done by pumps that do a slower job than modern ones, and wouldn't be useful for immediate delivery of a LOT of water to where it's needed (which is what the gravity-powered tower does).

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 889
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Basically a water tower helps maintain a constant water pressure using gravity:
http://people.howstuffworks.co m/water.htm

Why would anyone bomb you with sneers for asking about a water tower?

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 601
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously He/she knows about Craigd and Ccbats.

(Message edited by Bigb23 on February 28, 2008)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5365
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 991
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23 is right on. I sometimes tread lightly here as I have seen numerous pile-ons when forumers simply don’t look up oft repeated (and tiresome) questions. Thanks for the above Burnsie, I did not the tower was a derelict.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7202
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never understood why public officials get to plaster their names all over these projects (regardless if it's Kwame). Isn't it one huge billboard for name recognition in essence?? I find it such a huge waste of money every time a new person steps into that role and the name needs to be changed.

I thought this for years even before seeing Kwame's name on the water tower. I remember seeing Richard Austin's name associated with the Secretary of State for what seems like forever. I'm so thankful now that they've removed the name and let the title of the office speak for itself. I'm hoping the Zoo tower will be the same one day and be rid of any subtle references to its elected officials.

As far as the artwork on the tower now, it sure as heck beats the old artwork any day! I still remember the huge gaudy multicolored letters on it that one couldn't read easily because they were so huge; one would read "DETROI" or "OIT ZOO" because the letters wrapped around it so badly.

Anyone have any pictures of the tower in any of its previous incarnations??

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wsu/vmc

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found a pic of that same tower but it was too large a file to post here... it was dated 1929.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 993
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you Smogboy. The name perk must be on the books somewhere; because this surly is nothing more then self promotion. I would be very interested to find out more on this aspect. As always, Johnlodge and Hornwrecker bring us splendid photos that show the tower in its current and past paint schemes. It would be cool to see a chronological photo study from new till now.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy-- Remember, after Candice Miller took over, for a while the signs had her name in bigger letters than what Austin had.

There was one more pre-fancy color paint scheme for the tower after what is pictured above-- it just said DETROIT ZOOLOGICAL PARK in a big box, with no "ROYAL OAK." It can be glimpsed in a 1985 photo in the book "Detroit Images."

In the pic above, it's interesting how "ROYAL OAK" is in much bigger letters than "DETROIT." Even long ago, there must have been controversy about how much weight to give to each city's name with regards to promoting the zoo.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 411
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3617
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's because the water tower originally belonged to Royal Oak. I believe the city gave it to the zoo when the zoo redesigned some years ago. Preservationists wanted to save the tower but the city didn't want the liability and hassle that went with it. Once the zoo got the tower the really fancy paint schemes started.

(Message edited by lilpup on February 28, 2008)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4666
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's probably impractical but I've always wondered whether unused water towers could be converted to generate alternative energy. Remove the top and let it accumulate natural precipitation then let the draining water drive generator turbines.

Skyscraper rainwater drainage systems might be used in the same way.

Hydroelectric dams are essentially the same thing on a much larger scale.

Like I said, it's probably impractical. I've never heard it discussed.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5376
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The name perk must be on the books somewhere; because this surly is nothing more then self promotion

Though the Zoo hasn't bothered spending the money to actually paint over the Mayor's name yet, I suspect it won't make it up there much longer. Considering the recent changes in funding, and also some other things I won't really go into (but the photo I posted is a clue) I suspect the Mayor's name tradition is nearing its end.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 268
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz,

Maybe it could be put to use as a storage facility for the load of crap about to hit the fan for the Mayor.

How is that for an alternate use? ;)

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 292
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ Does it have something to do with the lack of an elephant painted on the water tower?

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 995
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for clarifications to Burnsies' assumption Lilpup. There must have been a committee in place when the paint schemes were to change due to a new mayor, or just maintenance . In all these years it could have been painted a dozen times or so.
Jimaz, I see shades of "Petticoat Junction" here.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4034
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's probably impractical but I've always wondered whether unused water towers could be converted to generate alternative energy. Remove the top and let it accumulate natural precipitation..."

How about just converting it to a giant, elevated swimming pool for the kiddies?

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 996
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn Johnlodge! I didn't see that. The mayor’s name is gone! Vandals’ or voters? LOL. Thanks, pal.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5311
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How about just converting it to a giant, elevated swimming pool for the kiddies?"

Help! Petticoat Junction flashback!

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 997
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the above photo, Chris_rohn. Got any from up on top of the tower, looking out?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5377
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Damn Johnlodge! I didn't see that. The mayor’s name is gone! Vandals’ or voters? LOL. Thanks, pal.

Neither, Photoshop.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 999
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I give a tip of the hat to you, Johnlodge. Very clever indeed!

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Cool tower, very cool.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 897
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about changing the sides to glass and put some fish in it? Hippo pool? World's largest bird bath?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11365
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The name perk must be on the books somewhere; because this surly is nothing more then self promotion

Goes for every office whether it be mayor, governor, etc in nearly every city. Why print names on it when there is just going to be a lot of waste everytime there is a change in position.