Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » La Shish closed for good » Archive through March 02, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7235
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aside from all of the legal stuff that the owners have had to deal with, I'm really saddened that 350 people have lost their jobs there as well. I've never had a bad meal there in all these years either.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

source?

It is sad.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 236
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, I loved La Shish, it was definitely one of my favorite restaurants. I hate that it was started under such hideous intentions. I have often wondered over the last two years how they were able to stay in business.

I hope another chain of Lebanese/Middle Eastern restaurants with better intentions takes LaShish's place.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1965
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now people will be forced to seek out the more authentic, better Middle Eastern food. It's going to be OK, Smogboy. We just need to know where else to go. :-)

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 419
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, they just ran them right out of town, didn't they? Glad it isn't me. Beirut Palace is pretty good. I usually go there....aside from Ike's.

(Message edited by Ladyinabag on March 02, 2008)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080302/NEWS05/ 80302037

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 503
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080302/NEW S05/80302037

Lashish was the best restaurant chain in the metro area. The food was inexpensive, honest, and authentic. It will be missed.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 309
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a big fan of La Shish.

Smogboy

Post Number: 7237
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as alternatives go, I've frequented Beirut Palace, Pita Cafe, and both Anita's Kitchens (Troy and the new Ferndale location), but none of them had the down home feel of LaShish. I used to frequent the LaShish in Dearborn and the one on Van Dyke in Warren. And then I went to the one on Hall Road in Macomb(?) and the service there was amazing! Not that any of them were ever lousy but maybe it was because I was with people who weren't so adventurous as I, the staff there really helped the rest of my party to some really good meals.

Again, another good restaurant goes by the wayside. It's too bad and maybe someone else will pick up the slack.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 361
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anita's Kitchen in Ferndale is fabulous! I highly recommend it! Great food, great service, nice atmosphere. I can't wait until the patio opens!

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 656
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think they were run out of town. I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did with the owners being accused of supporting terrorism, not paying taxes and breaking immigration laws.
The food was great and it sure was easy to get a table when business was down.
Loved the take out even though it wasn't cheap.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1966
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are some other places on Warren in Dearborn that are quite as good as La Shish. Maybe I can remember them later.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will be Sadly missed

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pita Cafe is good at Greenfield and 696.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1967
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one is pretty good and kinda inexpensive:
Al-Ajami, 14633 W. Warren, Dearborn, MI
313-846-9330

Smogboy

Post Number: 7239
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still wondering how they kept the place running even with the owners in deep legal heat. Was there a team of managers? Who kept the place running for as long as it did- and could they have kept it going without the owners? Better yet, could they have bought out chunks of the franchise?

Missing the hummus and shwarma even as I type.

Drbob7133
Username: Drbob7133

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the LaPita on Michigan Ave just west of the defunct LaShish

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Malek Al Kabob in Taylor at Goddar/ Pardee roads is really good.

Orange_barrel
Username: Orange_barrel

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Country Restaurant on Schaefer between Michigan Ave and Ford Road is very good.

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 158
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I loved eating at LaShish, I haven't been there since the legal issues regarding the owner and his wife became public.

Frankly, I couldn't believe people still ate there without having a guilty conscience.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 115
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any near the gratiot ave location>?

i really dont want to drive 70 miles for dinner (although i have)...

Daisy_clover
Username: Daisy_clover

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Orange_barrel, the Country on Schaefer is a *great* restaurant! I always preferred it to La Shish, anyway.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The two Cedarland Restaurants in Dearborn and Bloomfield Hills are very good. So is Ike's at 17 Mile and Van Dyke in Sterling Heights.

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Frankly, I couldn't believe people still ate there without having a guilty conscience."
I agree with you, Eastsidechris....

There's one Mediterranean restaurant I frequent and I sometimes joke to myself if I'm to terrorist activities. I believe the owner is Lebanese? Maybe this is an ignorant thought....

Also, how to quote?

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do you really think that they supported terrorism? tax evasion? yes. But terrorism?

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I get rave reviews from everyone I talk to about alemiri, (forgive the misspell), But have never been there.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1968
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They say they funneled money to Hezbollah. Of course, "terrorism" is only one of their projects. They also do health care, education, etc.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 599
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be ignorant...

Not all Lebanese are Muslims - and definitely not all Lebanese Muslims are members of Hezbollah or supporters - many, many in the Detroit area are Christian (and it's estimated that 40% of the country of Lebanon are Christians).

It's hard to be an Islamic extremist when you're Christian.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 840
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is everyone forgetting the murder Chahine's son committed? The sham marriages by his wife to get into the US? The sham marriages by her sisters? One sister who used her US Citizenship to get a job in the FBI, then the CIA? Their friend who used her sham marriage to join the Marine Corp?

The 6.5 Million in taxes not being paid, regardless if they went to Hesbollah's infant and widow fund or to Bomb R Us. Heck guys, the entire Chahine Clan is a black eye to Detroit, and to the Lebanese community.

There is no defense for them. They took money that would have gone to fix our roads, educate or children, care for our elderly ... and the funneled it outside the US.

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Digitalvision, who said anything about Muslims? Sounds like you're doing the same thing you're accusing me of.... Like I said, it's an inner joke...the food is good and fresh, which might be the same motivation as to why folk still patronized LaShish without guilt.... We Americans are so pitiful.... We'll sell out for some good food.... Sigh....