Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Singer Building - Outdoor Toilet and Garbage Pile? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the puddle of human waste and piles of garbage in the entry vestibule of the Singer Building on Woodward downtown?

I'm not sure of the address, but it's on the east side of Woodward near Grand River and it's been filthy for months. The CleanDetroit people seem to avoid it because of the smell and I really hope it gets cleaned out by opening day.

Does anyone know the proper channels to report something like this?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1582
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.cleandowntown.org/c ontact.asp

Sciencefair

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owner lives above Oslo. Try calling her. Good luck!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4076
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice, right along our main thoroughfare

Rax

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's nothing there anyway. Don't sweat it too much.

Detroitsky
Username: Detroitsky

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Singer that little building one door north of the Rayl Building?

Rax

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the building just south of Athlete's Foot.

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats the difference between windsors oulette and detroits woodward, shit in the doorways and abandoned buildings. wonder why.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 841
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know feces in the open is a problem I have run into more times than I care to admit in Detroit. It is one of those things that makes you wonder why you care so much about this city and that all hope is lost. I feel that that feeling is part of being a Detroiter though. No matter what we can never turn our back on Detroit as many before us have. It just sucks to see this thread title and not be surprised by it!

Sandyrabbit
Username: Sandyrabbit

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i manage a bld. and find surprises alot in the rear of the building., no pun intended, i get pissed but at the same time am happy to have a toilet to use.

what can one do?
whats worse is finding people having sex back here.
ick.
my maintenance man want to drop things on people from the roof. thank god i put some sense in his head.

maybe they need an area where homeless people can shower, and use the toilet.

there are enough abandoned buildings to do this.
and maybe if they were able to clean up and use a toilet, they may get a bit of self confidence back, maybe someone would hire them?
i know i am far reaching here.
but not all of us are lucky enough to have a comfortable area. not our faults i agree, still doesnt change the fact.

i agree, contact the building owner.
your best bet.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11763
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 6:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for looking deeper than the symptom, Sandyrabbit. That is rare here, and you'll surely get dumped on for being seen as defending the dumpers! (nor from me, though!)

It would be nice if more property owners found managers who cared like you obviously do.

Gannon

Post Number: 11764
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 6:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, btw, you know me in real life.

Gannon

Post Number: 11765
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(don't see why you have to discriminate against the homeless having sex...that's just mean)

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 274
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i often see people, can't say that they are homeless, hovering over street sewer grates doing their business.
A much better idea than leaving 'one' in the doorway of a building!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4163
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not saying homeless don't have certain biological functions, you just see the evidence of that more often in Detroit than I have in other Cities.

I don't know if we have more homeless, fewer facilities for them, less clean up, or given the level of abandonment and decay we have, an attitude of disregard for public places.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I observed a woman taking a dump next to my studio building last summer; it really made me angry until I realized that she probably had no choice. She at least tried to be indiscreet. The local eateries wont let you use the toilet unless you buy something.What really pisses me off are the patrons of the sports stadiums who get beer drunk and then piss in public in my doorway and against the wall.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 863
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you who want to stick knitting needles in their eyes, here is a link to what passes for true love in Washington DC.

really icky, creepy stuff

W_6_mile
Username: W_6_mile

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have actually walked pass someone having a bowel movement at that location! It was totally unexpected to say the least!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11400
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I observed a woman taking a dump next to my studio building last summer; it really made me angry until I realized that she probably had no choice. She at least tried to be indiscreet. The local eateries wont let you use the toilet unless you buy something.What really pisses me off are the patrons of the sports stadiums who get beer drunk and then piss in public in my doorway and against the wall.

Spot on. I certainly don't like seeing this but it is a reality. The 2 issues that I have with respect to the topic are:

1. The building owners that assume it is not their responsibility.
2. The people with means whether it be sports fans or just some idiot that feel they can stop and pee anywhere.

Sciencefair

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree about the drunken sports fans, these are people that have the option to urinate in the privacy of the indoors, but lack the sense of planning to take care of it before journeying on to find their car.

What bothers me most about the situation at the Singer building is that the same guy has been living amidst the trash and waste for months, and it's not like this is some rarely traveled side street. I don't mean to sound callous, but this shouldn't be an acceptable behavior in our city.
I know the guys needs a place to stay, but aren't there any other options?

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 670
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used one of these in London, and I think they should have them around wherever there is beer being served (like opening day or for tailgating). It would be best if they could hook them up to a sewer line so they don't fill up.

http://www.gadling.com/2007/03 /16/outdoor-chinese-urinals/

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the pleasure of using one of those public street urinals in downtown Amsterdam this past Thanksgiving. What a great concept. After we imbibed on a few cocktails. They are positioned throughout the downtown area. Can even carry on a conversation with your friends outside while doing the "deed". Just make sure your feet are spread far enough apart. I guess senator Craig could have used the excuse of peeing on his shoes! HA HA

Rax

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I agree about the drunken sports fans, these are people that have the option to urinate in the privacy of the indoors, but lack the sense of planning to take care of it before journeying on to find their car.

Wait until St. Patrick's Day if you really want to see "a lack of sense of planning"

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 501
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few years ago, a day or 2 after St. Patrick's day, I had to stop at the Waterford Twp. PD and get a copy of a police report.

While I waited I overheard 2 cops talking about St. Patrick's Day busts. One cop told the other that he got his first drunk driving arrest at 9:30am!

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 536
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I’m not condoning drunken driving; however, 9:30 AM is not early for people working the midnight shift. There are over four million people in the Detroit Metropolitan area and I’m sure they’re on many different time schedules.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.