Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » What good would a gun have been? » Archive through March 02, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7763
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I apologize for the rant.

I had a great day at Fort Wayne and a stop at Eastern market and Vivios to see a few friends.

Unfortunately, my day ended with some dude on my street asking me for $.20 for the bus which , as me wont was to decline.

Reaching my house I pulled out my keys to unlock the door,suddenly I was tackled from behind by that same guy. He demanded money, which I had very little.

He was choking me, while I tried to gouge his eyes with the keys in my hand. I was able to reach into my other pocket and threw 10-12 dollars unto the ground, upon which he stopped choking me, grabbed, and took off.

I think my wrist is broken, I've
it strapped up, until tomorrow when I can make it to the hospital.

But even if I had a gun , it would have been no help as the attack was on the blind side.

Eastside_cat
Username: Eastside_cat

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams
I don't want to sound too heavy here but let me explain how a gun would have helped. Owning a gun and using a gun as part of your daily life are two different things. When you decide you need a gun for protection and you apply for and are granted a CCW Lic you are resigning yourself to the fact that one day you may have to use deadly force, which is a totally different psychological frame of mind and mental conditioning. Being able to take a life in the course of protecting your life and the lives of your family members requires discipline and training (lots of training, putting rounds down range). So if you had the requisite training and the frame of mind to react to this situation you could have, in a lighting instinct drawn your weapon and fired, saving yourself 10-12 dollars and countless other the same inconvenience. But simply having a gun without the aforementioned prerequisites would have as you mentioned been useless. Criminals usually take a life by accident (robbery gone bad) but when they take that life its meaningless to them. When civilians take a life as a result of self protection its something they have thought long and hard about.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 837
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 5:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JAMS
I'm sorry for you and everything you have, and will, go through.

Would a gun have helped?, being attacked from behind, who knows; but E.sidecat is right, a reasonable person with a gun is a cautious person.

I hope the cops will catch the guy that attacked you and that your wrist is just a bad sprain.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3601
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 6:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear that Jams. I hope you will be ok.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, there is no apology needed and you did the right thing in that case. There is no way of knowing when that day will come, so having a gun in my opinion wouldn't change the outcome. What i mean by that is no matter how small, tall, ect. you are if someone has the drop on you it changes how you react and increases your chances of getting harmed with your own gun. Take Eastsides' advice if you would chose to get a gun, but keep in mind that people with guns get robbed, assaulted ect. also. My advice would be to always be aware of your surroundings and notice the signs early, if it seems suspect then 9 out of 10 it is. The good thing is you got away with your life, Thank god, and I hope everything will be fine for you in the future.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How awful for you, Jams. I don't believe in guns myself. If you had one, either you would have killed or injured a crazy person, or he would have killed or injured you. If the first, most preferable scenario, you would feel terrible, and the second can't be thought of at all. I hope your wrist is not broken and will soon be better.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6569
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, don't talk like a damn Canadian. Guns are the ONLY answer.

j/k - Sorry to hear about the injury.

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, Sorry to hear what has happened to you. Heal fast.

Just out of curiosity did you call the cops? Did they respond in a timely fashion if at all?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If you had one, either you would have killed or injured a crazy person, or he would have killed or injured you."

What about the third option, the thug could have pulled off a killing with a weapon (gun, knife) that he may have had.

As far as feeling terrible about killing someone if they jump me from behind and start choking me, not so much. If someone is choking me for all I know they're trying to kill me so it's coming right back at them. They may know what their intent is but I don't so all bets are off.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JAMS,

Sorry to hear about that. Hope you are ok.

Of all the questions one might ask themselves after an event like this, why are you asking about a non-existant gun that you never bought in the first place?

Is this something that you were considering purchasing and now you are wondering how the heck you would have used it or were you already in the anti-gun camp and somewhat strangely trying to validate that position after your experience?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4028
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so sorry Jams. But I'm glad you didn't have a gun, there would have been one more violent freak running around with your $12 and your weapon today.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 416
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would have been better just to give the guy five bucks. I have been at the center of this discussion before and don't want to go there again. But, I am a firm believer in giving money to someone who asks....and even someone who doesn't ask. I have never been homeless, but I know what it takes to get there. Here, but for the grace of God, I live....warm, fed, clothed, and have three televisions.....two of which are hooked up to a DVR. All I have to do is say F-it to make it all go away. We are all one F-it away from the streets. So, I give....and, I don't get beat up.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, I am sorry this happened to you. I know you probably don't want to answer all of these questions concerning your incident but I am compelled to ask what area is it that you live in. I live in the Mexican Village area and along Fort Street near the post office and Burger King, I am always confronted with these guys asking for 20 cents to catched the bus.

I have never shared this story with anyone until now, especially not my wife, because she has never liked it here in Detroit(She is from the UP)This guy asked to pump my gas(No, that's okay I got it). Then he came closer and asked if I had some spare change( No I don't) Once they make two attempts I get extra cautious and start to be on watch for him.
This particular day, I had to go in the store and get something. As i walked by him he started to back away and then he asked If I had any spare change when I came out, he needed it. Keep in mind that I am 5-11 , 325 and I don't tote steel. I came out of the store and noticed that the guy was gone. I drive an Expedition so I started to walk toward my truck. I unlocked the door and then I locked them back and yelled to him "if you are near near my truck, it is in your best interest to run now". He didn't respond and then a few seconds later he charged at me from the back of the station. I knew he was somewhere around so I bent over and he tripped over me and I put my weight on him after that. The police came within minutes and this guy told the officer that I attacked him. There were witness within range to discredit his claim and the police took him away.

Jams, are you male or female(Trust me it is hard for me to distinguish half the folks on this forum). My suggestion to you is to take a self defense class to better prepare you for any situation that may arise.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 213
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having a gun should not be held in the same mindset as killing, Self defense is a valid reason to be prepared.
But it sounds like you may not of been able to use it to avoid the attack because you were blindsided, But I sure would of enjoyed blindsiding $12 worth of kneecaps as he was running away.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1724
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams is a male.

So sorry to hear about this experience Jams. I hope you are alright.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1466
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gumby

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 405
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams...Please add my name to the growing list of concerned individuals who wish you a speedy recovery, while praying that justice will intervene & prevail upon your attacker.

Displaying a registered & legally holstered gun does have potential in deterring would-be muggers.
On the other hand - if the weapon is concealed - there is very little potential for warding-off assault...the risk of death to one or both parties is greatly increased

Nevertheless, if peace of mind is what you seek, it is your right as an American to bear arms; perhaps you might investigate city/county/state options in terms of a concealed/carry permit.

Another option: what we used to call a "mugger-slugger" - small baseball bat or large walking stick with brass head.

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Morning All. I'd like everybody to remember one thing and that is that if you buy a pistol and obtain CCW, you and only you are responsible for that bullet you fire. That bullet does not stop until it hits an object be it a person or someones property.

A stray shot will kill or injured someone innocent 2 blocks away just as fast as it would the person who's trying to do you in and you as the trigger puller will be held responsible.

Remember, if the bad guy overpowers you and gets your gun away from, then we now have another armed bad guy on the streets.

Should you decide to legally arm yourself, remember that there are places where you can carry and where you can't, so you still may find yourself vulnerable.

You need to become proficient with your weapon, practice, practice, practice, learn to shoot right and left handed, from the hip, one handed, two handed, standing, kneeling, laying on your back, fetal position or on all 4's

You have practice monthly, there are a lot of target ranges around the metro area and all are reasonably priced....some even offer memberships.

Above all if you use your weapon, you will have to prove your life was in danger, because you will have to think, act, shoot and must hit your intended target in a nano second without hesitation and all at close range, this is why it is called Self Defense

I try to practice shoot monthly and always REMEMBER, YOU and only YOU are responsible for that bullet you fire.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 260
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What if you don't carry cash, like me? Would I be dead today?

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 465
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams- Sorry to hear. if you need anything ,get in touch.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 188
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams...I'm very sorry to hear what happened to you. Where you live, what you were doing, what you were or were not carrying really doesn't matter. Be thankful that although injured, you are still with us. These things happen everywhere, not just in Detroit. All we can do is pray that innocent lives are not taken.

Thank you for working at Fort Wayne. I would love to assist with their work, but I am not physically capable. I applaud those who take time out to volunteer for this most-worthy cause.

Heal quickly...try to put the incident in perspective...learn from your experience and go on being the person you are.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, Btw...the Fort Wayne Volunteer work that i often hear about on this site sounds like a very rewarding experience. Please take my email kduncan at dwsd dot org and remind me of anything. It is just around the way from where i live and if it is a kid friendly volunteer effort, my kids can help and learn at the same time.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, thats a terrible thing to endure, hoping you're ok. Speculating on what would've been better is just guessing, resistance can escalate something like this from a simple robbery to a homicide. The smart thing to do is give them the money and live to talk about it. All survival training echos that same principle. Don't fight, run.

These situations are inevitable. As the economy degrades and individuals become more desperate, they are going to become more aggressive. I'm personally not looking forward to a gunpoint ride to the nearest ATM machine.

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams,
Best wishes for a speedy recovery from the Fats Family

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 502
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad you are still here to tell your story Jams, the outcome could have been much worse. Unfortunate as your story is we all can learn from it, times they certainly are changing and so must we. I'm not saying be paranoid, but try to be aware of what is going on around you and watch your back.

My sister in San Jose was driving through the farming area around Salinas California one night. She saw two girls on the side of the highway waving their arms for her to stop, she felt relatively safe, these young girls "needed" her help. Well, Debie got out of her car and walked up to the girls only to have two guys crawl up out of the ditch, the girls demanded her car keys as they surrounded my sister. I don't know why but my sister took her keys and whipped them across the dark highway. She got her ass beat, she is lucky to be alive, they didn't get her car though!
Be safe everyone!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10137
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, because more guns would solve the problem like it already has.
Glad that was the only thing you hurt Jams. It could have been a lot worse!

Nanska
Username: Nanska

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams,
What a terrible thing to happen to you. Am glad that although you were injured you did not loose you life. Hope that the police manage to catch your attacker and that you are willing to testify against him.

Hope that you make a full and speedy recovery.

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The really sad part of this story is that the robber apparently has no better options in life than to rob people. This is a sad reflection of our free-market capitalistic economic system. Capitalists continue to squeeze workers, require more of them for less pay, fight worker's rights and their ability to form unions, so the result is that crime pays more for some people at the fringes rather than being a contributing member of society.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 651
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As someone who had both parents robbed separately and had the house broken into, I feel how scary the experience has been for you.
Have any of your neighbors been accosted?
I used to work down there at McLouth Steel and it was no picnic back in the 70's.
Everyone talks how great Detroit is downtown but the neighborhoods are a crap shoot. We chose to leave rather than shoot it out.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 755
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams - you are right, a gun would have done you no good in this case. I am so so so sorry to hear of this spineless attack. I would have done the exact same thing that you did (go for the eyes or balls - and if that didn't work, toss some money on the ground)

I wonder... if you had given the guy $.20, would he have just let you go? or would he have scoped out your wallet? or was he just trying to distract you so he could attack you there? what an ass hole, i'm so sorry.

as for the wrist, it could be broken, and if so, I'm very sorry. However, I have alot of experience with joint injuries... The bad news is, joint are fragile, take forever to heal, and hurt like hell. the GOOD news is, that more often than not, what feel like a small break or a torn ligament is frequently a contusion or sprain...