Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Michigan State Rep wins $2 million lottery - something doesn't smell right « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this seem a little odd to anyone?

From the Michigan Lottery website:

Barb Farrah of Southgate won $2 million in a live drawing at The Palace of Auburn Hills on February 22.

http://michigan.gov/lottery/0, 1607,7-110--186227--,00.html

The lottery blurb doesn't even mention that she is a politician. The Free Press does, but here are two weird factoids in the article:

"Farrah, who chairs the House Regulatory Reform Committee, which considers lottery issues,"

And also

"She said Monday she's not sure where she bought the instant ticket in January."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080226/NEW S06/802260352/1008

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3678
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not everything in the world is a conspiracy

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 331
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is absolutely nothing whatsoever to this.

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't anyone believe in coincidence anymore?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2813
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think she was the one on the grassy knoll.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2796
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no law stating that an elected official can't buy a lottery ticket. I say Good for her!

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But she's won that lottery every month for the past 6 months! Now THAT'S fishy!

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3314
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the plus side, she's term limited.

'Nuff said

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4706
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't the retailers who sell winning tickets also win something from it? For that reason I would expect there would be some way to trace a winning ticket back to the retailer.

Do tickets have serial numbers on them?

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 699
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know she was picked out of a pool of people. But in the future, what's to prevent a person from giving a large winning lotto ticket to a politician for personal favors? Say $500 to $5000 with no paper trail involved.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1974
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to see if she moves out-of-state now! :-)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2787
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kym Worthy better investigate!

Hamtramike
Username: Hamtramike

Post Number: 488
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz
All tickets have serial numbers. The tickets have to be activated by each merchant before sale. Often, retailers will only activate limited amounts of tickets at a time to prevent losses in case of theft.

Newlaster

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So if the tickets are traceable, how come we don't know where she bought her ticket?

Lilpup

Post Number: 3681
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

because they didn't tell us - that doesn't mean they don't know

Newlaster

Post Number: 234
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the reason the Detroit Free Press employs people call "reporters" is so they can find out these details-of-interest and share them with the public. This reporter failed to do his job.

If you don't have anything valuable to contribute, please do not merely dumb-down my thread Lilpup.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3682
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your thread couldn't get any dumber than the first post.

Newlaster

Post Number: 235
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I did was provide links and ask questions. What is dumb about curiosity and inquiry?

Shark

Post Number: 332
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said Lilpup.

Newlaster

Post Number: 236
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In journalism, there is an idiom called "The Smell Test" This is one of many factors that is supposed to determine if something requires more investigation.

Smell Test: A metaphoric test used to determine the legitimacy or authenticity of a situation.

(i.e. If it doesn't smell right, it needs to be investigated.)

A state rep wins $2 million, and that state rep happens to sit on a board that overseas lottery issues...! That doesn't pass the smell test by a long shot.

Yet, you drones are not hostile toward the media for not investigating this.

Rather, you are hostile toward a forum poster for even suggesting that someone should look into this.

You are the picture of the anti-intellectual neo-American sheep. You should be ashamed of yourselves, really (shark and lilpup). But it must be bliss, right?

Lilpup

Post Number: 3683
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it smells funny to you go investigate then come back when you have some worthwhile substance to bark about.

I'll even make it easier for you. Here's a place to start: http://www.michigan.gov/lotter y

Shark

Post Number: 333
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

STFU newlaster. If you are so concerned about this, why don't you give Leon Drolet a call and ask him how you can help.

Farrah is a member of the House Regulatory Reform Committee. Feel free to visit this link to analyze all the legislation that the committee oversees: http://legislature.mi.gov/docu ments/2007-2008/committeebillr ecord/house/htm/2007-HCBR-REGU .htm

Of course, I'm sure you already know this and have looked closely at what her job entails, right?

Lilpup

Post Number: 3684
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not to mention that the actual lottery press release DOES mention that she's a legislator (of course you only looked at the picture)

http://www.michigan.gov/lotter y/0,1607,7-110-37982-186215--, 00.html

Newlaster

Post Number: 238
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Lilpup, I am aware that the lottery has a website. Remember, my first post had a link to it?

Shark, real nice, telling me to STUFU (which means: Shut the fuck up).

Well something tells me that a memo called, 'Fix lottery numbers' didn't come across her desk.

If you're so sure that nothing is fishy about this, why not leave well-enough alone, rather than resort to these hostile antics?

Shark

Post Number: 334
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, thanks for explaining that acronym to us Newlaster. And thanks for calling me an "anti-intellectual neo-American". I'd like your definition of that, please.

Newlaster

Post Number: 240
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well some forumers might not have known that first acronym.

I feel 'anti-intellectual neo-American' is pretty self-explanatory.

It conjures up images of someone cheering along a burning-of-the-books or something to that effect.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2529
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone going to Twingo's movie night?

And leave shark alone. Have you ever seen his avatar?

HOT!

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cha cha cha cha cha

Jit
Username: Jit

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

newlaster,

good to see you're still rolling with the conspiracies. some things never change, eh?

watching you belittle the freep's coverage is humorous. weren't you fired from WSU's crappy newspaper not once, but twice, because all you did was sleep on the couch?

perhaps you should start a blog to question all the freep's coverage, like you did with wayne's newspaper after your terminations.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1933
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stare at that avatar every time I venture over there mainly because that chick in the pic is hot and ILTHT (which means: I'd love to hit that)

Newlaster

Post Number: 241
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the personal attacks start.

One of the main forum rules is to not 'out' the anonymity of the posters, which you are now violating.

This doesn't particularly concern me, since I don't have anything to hide.

Do I know you or vice-versa, Jit?

Jit

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And the personal attacks start.

didn't you attack the free press? you kind of open yourself up for that, no? and is the truth really an attack? maybe it's my job to "find out these details-of-interest and share them with the public."

quote:

One of the main forum rules is to not 'out' the anonymity of the posters, which you are now violating.

"Be aware. You are on the internet. Anyone who wishes to participate on the forum is welcome to do so, but your anonymity cannot be guaranteed from exposure through forum conversation. Participants who wish to post on forum do so at their own risk of exposure."

if you were so worried about being "outed" you shouldn't use one of the multitude of handles utilized during your "legacy." welcome to the internet.

quote:

This doesn't particularly concern me, since I don't have anything to hide.

i'm sure.

quote:

Do I know you or vice-versa, Jit?

personally? no. although you've built quite the rep for yourself, which provided numerous detroit journalists with a chuckle, or two.

Newlaster

Post Number: 242
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attacking an institution like The Free Press is not a personal attack.

Personal comes from the base word of 'person'.

I doubt that you are a journalist in any official capacity.

More likely: Someone I fired from the paper for shitty writing, as illustrated by your lack of understanding of basic English.

Note to forumers: I'm done with this thread unless someone adds something substantive directly related to the original topic.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'd think there would be a law that someone with influence over the lottery would not be permitted to participate. I'm pretty sure McDonald's employees can't play their Monopoly game.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 462
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's not an employee or contractor who works for the Lottery.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 317
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But if she chairs the committee that oversees it...I mean...its more a moral thing than a law thing.

Clearly she has to think to herself...If I am overseeing this committee...what happens if I win?

Jit

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Attacking an institution like The Free Press is not a personal attack.

Personal comes from the base word of 'person'.

did i ever say "personal attack" in regards to the freep? no. but if you want to argue semantics, you did attack the reporter. isn't a reporter is a person?

quote:

I doubt that you are a journalist in any official capacity.

More likely: Someone I fired from the paper for shitty writing, as illustrated by your lack of understanding of basic English.

my pay stubs would provide a different story. you probably shouldn't assume things; that's a little more important than your precious "smell test." but, i'll reiterate: i never worked for you. i have more self respect than that. from everyone i spoke with, it sounded like a nightmare.

detroit's a small market, and you've built quite the rep (not for being a good editor or writer, mind you). not only are you a drama queen -- but you're a lazy conspiracy theorist with a million half-baked ideas.

oh, and you can cry all you want about personal attacks. but you have to admit, mine are true. meanwhile, yours aren't. perhaps you should face the fact that there's press in this town who don't like you because of what you did to that paper and it's employees, many of whom never even worked under you. you're a joke. last i heard, you ran away.

quote:

Note to forumers: I'm done with this thread unless someone adds something substantive directly related to the original topic.

if you want to admit defeat, fine by me.

(Message edited by jit on March 05, 2008)

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 320
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad can beat up Your dad!

Shark

Post Number: 335
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Note to forumers: I'm done with this thread unless someone adds something substantive directly related to the original topic."

Come on, don't you want to call me a Nazi again?

Newlaster

Post Number: 243
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more thing: Jit's showing off one sign of a good reporter - reporting hearsay as fact.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7783
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a thread based on a conjecture?

How unprofessional!

Jit

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

One more thing: Jit's showing off one sign of a good reporter - reporting hearsay as fact.

i knew you'd be back!

you have to admit, hearsay is more reliable than assumptions about anonymous people.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.