Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Nice coincidence « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2820
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Ford Escape came with Sirius Radio. Must admit I've become pretty hooked on it, especially since most of the local stations here in Las Vegas have nothing but Salsa.

Anyway, Sirius has a dozen or so channels dedicated to traffic/weather in more than a score of cities. There are two cities assigned to each channel, except for LA and NYC, which have their own.

Coincidentally, the two cities with traffic and weather on channel 155 are Detroit and Las Vegas. I can keep an ear peeled on my local traffic here in Vegas, and get a little 'homesick' on hearing traffic problems and weather back in Detroit as well.

Well, I don't really miss the weather 'back there', but it's nice to hear as I wheel through traffic with the windows down.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4712
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's almost spooky.

I had a similar experience in Phoenix a few years ago intercepting a 10-meter ham channel from little old Utica (USECA) over the internet. They were casually discussing local traffic conditions on Mound Road -- 2,000 miles from where I was listening!

With communications today, it's a big, wide, wonderful world in a tiny box.

(Message edited by Jimaz on March 04, 2008)

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a cruel pairing. At least late in the winter. In the summer, I just wonder why people live in a place that battles with hell for the worst weather. :-)

I liked it better on days like today better when we were still paired with Pittsburgh. It made waiting for spring much easier.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2821
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Courtney, with today's a/c, not a problem. Think back into the twenties when the town was getting going how it was for them then. I understand they would sleep in wet sheets to let the evaporation cool them somewhat.

Today it's no problem. Been here 24 years now and love the heat.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4127
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My ex wife was in Calgery about 10 years ago on business and they had a WDIV feed on their cable - murder and mayhem spread all the way to the great white north

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 301
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobj, I was going to say something similar. About 10 yrs ago Detroit affiliates were carried across Canada to provide ABC, CBS & NBC on many satellites. CBC ran a news segment with people from small towns across the prairies and even in the North West Territories discussing Detroit's problems over the dinner table.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1643
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was astonished upon checking into a motel room in Murdo, SD (population 600 or so) to see a news report on a KFC robbery. I hadn't seen a KFC in Murdo. The neighborhood and homies looked suspiciously familiar. Lots of trees too, which weren't too evident around Murdo. Then Mort Crim came on to give more news. It was Detroit!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About 15 years ago, I was driving from the Grand Canyon to Zion National Parks. While passing through Kanab, Utah (population 3600), I needed to fill a prescription, so I stopped at the first drugstore I came to and went in. The druggist eyed me and correctly assumed I wasn't from those parts, so he asked me for some ID. Looking at the address on my driver's license, he asked, "so you're from Sterling Heights, eh? Is that anywhere near Center Line?" I thought to myself, how is it that he knows Center Line (pop. 10,000) but not Sterling Heights (pop. 100,000) just six miles up Van Dyke - so I asked him that very question. He replied that his parents used to live in Center Line and back in the late 1940's they moved the family out to Utah. He added that his grandfather had a local school named after him - did I ever hear of Busch School on Ten Mile Road?
I replied that I had grown up one block away from that school, that my uncle had taught there for a number of years and that my future wife had attended junior high in that building.

Small world! Of course, when his family left Center Line just after WW II, Sterling Heights was known as Sterling Township and it was home to at most a thousand people, most of whom lived on farms.

Upinthewoods
Username: Upinthewoods

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's a cruel pairing. At least late in the winter. In the summer, I just wonder why people live in a place that battles with hell for the worst weather. :-)

^^^Thats why I came up with the following reasoning-
"You can always put on another sweater, BUT you can't carry around a air-conditioner!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11760
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I go for a walk in downtown Detroit, I am awestruck by the solidity of it all. This town was built to last forever.

Well, parts of it. Pretty cool parts of it, too.

I walk, jog, and bike around this town all the time, never ever taking the same route twice if I can help it. I am never underwhelmed.

Vegas?!

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

401don, WTVS Detroit Public TV was also one of the stations carried. Canadians far and wide responded to pledge drives.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 325
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats new ray...it was always Detroit and Pittsburgh...so that must be a new thing.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2822
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been Det-LV since at least Jun 1 when I bought the car, D_mcc.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 327
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm...Thats crazy...maybe I haven't had to listen to that in awhile...I moved outta michigan in May...but I like to turn it on to hear about the old streets and weather

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love my Sirius Radio too. The pairing of Detroit & Las Vegas can be funny because if click to the weather on your Sirius receiver and expect the Detroit weather report and hear things like "85 degrees today..." (mid-winter) then for a moment, you have a slight hope... but of course, it's Las Vegas weather and you're slapped back into reality.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we were young and foolish, my buds and I would often take drunken road trips to the wilds of upper Michigan. Most of these trips were spur of the moment kind of things, borne of boredom and a sense of adventure. Driving up I- 75 late at night gave one a real sense of distance as the stars would slowly show themselves, and the home town radio would begin to fade. That was when we knew we were gone and "Up North"; when we were out of the range of Detroit’s blow torch radio stations. The radio would slowly descend into a staccato of static, and we would have to search the green luminance dial for the local radio fair. This was usually the farm report, or gospel music from a Mom and Pop radio station. I really love all things techno, but now it seems you can never leave, never really get away from home and its troubles. Maybe I'm a bit sentential, but I sure miss the slow fade of the radio, the hiss of my records, and that feeling of escape…

Ray1936

Post Number: 2837
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last drive back to Detroit, which takes three days, my wife entertained herself by listening to the old radio programs on one of the Sirius channels. Everything from Jack Benny to The Lone Ranger, and it did help pass time in some desolate chunks of the country.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon:

quote:

"When we build let us think that we build forever...let us think as we lay stone on stone that a time is to come when those stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them and that men will say as they look upon the labor and the wrought substance of them, 'See! This our fathers did for us.'"

-John Ruskin

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4746
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Behold the humble brick and what miracles it brought forth.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for sharing that quote, Focusonthed (And Jimaz). It really is a creed by which I have lived, and truer words we have none.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2387
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...WTVS Detroit Public TV was also one of the stations carried. Canadians far and wide responded to pledge drives."

Yeah! It's really amazing if you ever help out be answering phones at one of the Detroit PBS pledge drives. I'd have to guess that about a quarter of those that call in are from Canada. They get confused about why the DVD version of what they are seeing on TV costs $100 to buy. You have to carefully explain to them that they are sponsoring the station and not solely buying an item.

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 190
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From listening to this traffic and weather pairing, I have learned that the weather in Vegas is not really all that great in the winter. I've always heard it can get cold in the desert, but I am surprised to hear just how cold it gets. Not much laying out by the pool in January! The average low is under 40 degrees. The last two years I have gone there in April and May and the weather was perfect.

I remember when it was Detroit and Pittsburgh together. My sister was living in Pittsburgh at the time, so I would hear the traffic and weather in her area. That seemed like a funny coincidence at the time.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobj, for some reason a lot of the Americaqn network tv stations I get in Canadian motels from B.C. to Onterrible are feeds of the Detroit affiliates. None of 'em are "SuperStations" either(WOR, WGN, WTBS, KTLA, WSBK, KTVT, WPIX, KWGN)

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobj, for some reason a lot of the American network tv stations I get in Canadian motels from B.C. to Onterrible are feeds of the Detroit affiliates. None of 'em are "SuperStations" either(WOR, WGN, WTBS, KTLA, WSBK, KTVT, WPIX, KWGN)

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

try accuradio on the internet..you can actually build your own station and it is free...

Ray1936

Post Number: 2843
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers2005, you're right about winter in Vegas. Southern Nevada is NOT Florida. It gets cold at night, and below freezing on occasion. Daytime highs in mid winter average around 55. Nice days will see temps in the sixties, but a cold front going through will leave temps in the 40s or even 30s for several days running.

But snow is rare, and sunshine is nearly a certainty. Beats the gloom of Michigan in the miserable months.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.