Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » The Museum Pass « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 349
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 5:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if the pass has increased patrons visiting the museums. Has the DIA seen more people than before..

Our family has used the pass at
Motown Historical Museum
Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History
Detroit Historical Museum
DIA
Science Center
Cranbrooke
Ford Rouge Factory Tour

The African American Museum was REALLY GREAT!!

We have saved almost 87.00 using the pass!

USE IT!

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Museum Pass are you referring to, and where can we get one?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3689
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 6:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitadventurepas s.org/

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 300
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent Addidas video piece about Detroit:

http://creativity-online.com/w ork/view?seed=I2Kbfqvt

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2081
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't look for it next year. Many of the institutions that bought in to the pass have had a lot more people through their door, but at no advantage. They didn't shop at the store, didn't opt up into extra-charge exhibitions. It's actually cost some of the institutions more.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3315
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The year is still young...

Single_malt
Username: Single_malt

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've used the pass and loved it!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2797
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, give it some time! The program started back in October, just in time for the holidays...and winter! I'd hope that usage would pick up once the weather is warm and people can easily get around and are willing to spend a day out and about.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's too bad that an institution would decide after only a few months to opt out of the Museum Pass.

We know families who are using the Pass to test drive several of the museums. After that, they will decide where to buy a membership.

It seems this is a winning idea for all.

French777

Post Number: 350
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are going to buy a membership to the Detroit Historical / Dossin Great lakes museum since we have used the pass

The museums get the money from Macy's with each pass that is used!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7261
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes it's better to be a "friendraiser" first than it is to be a fundraiser. This is an ideal way to get people acquainted (and sometimes re-acquainted) with some of these cultural gems again. I'm all for it!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6404
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if one can get into the Detroit Science Center to see the Imax movie without paying the full museum fee?

Back before the museum expansion it cost $6.50 to get in and see the movie (but that was the full museum fee as well). Did that several times a year with my nieces and nephews.

But now that the museum fee has doubled with the expansion, I was wondering if you still have to pay the full fee to see the Imax movie? The nieces and nephews have grown up and are away at college so I haven't been back since the expansion... although the nieces & nephews have... but grizzly preserved body parts didn't interest me! :-(

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 204
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the museums are paying for this. It's underwritten by Macy's. I heard it was started in Minn. and was a big success.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup and French, thanks so much for the info about the pass. I am heading over to the Library today to get one. We have wanted to go see the Mummies Imax movie, but my money has been short lately. Now we can get in the Science Center with the pass--I can afford the Imax tickets alone

(Message edited by Leoqueen on March 07, 2008)

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I'm with 56Packman ... and here are the facts.

Macy's is not reimbursing any of the participating Museums for any admission costs. They are simply footing the bill for the launch and advertising of the program. It IS costing some of the Museums a lot of money for not a significant increase in total visitors ... however, the hope is that people will see these gems for what they are and not always need to use a pass to get in (and perhaps buy a membership or something nice in the store).

Support arts and culture!

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big thanks! This is the first I've heard of this pass, and I plan to use the hell out of it!

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is the Museum Pass costing some of the Museums a lot of money? Is there evidence for that?

Maybe increased trash to dispose of? increased water bill because increased use of bathrooms and drinking fountains?

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 394
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the Science Center is one of the museums included...?
I've used it for the DIA, Motown & Dossin Museum so far. Love it. It didn't occur to me that anyone was "losing" money from me being there.
I DID drop money into museum donation boxes when I went.

French777

Post Number: 364
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found out it is not for the Science Center.

MOCAD is on the list!

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History will have free admission every first Sunday of the month through Oct. 5. School groups are excluded from the offer. It was in today's Free Press local news section.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.