Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Main branch library question. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 531
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know why the lawns and much of the sidewalks around the main branch of the Detroit Public Library are blocked off? They’ve been closed for some time. Please tell me that it doesn’t have something to do with some frivolous lawsuit.
I also noticed during the recent pleasant Saturday afternoon that they’re still using the plaza in front of the DIA as a parking lot. I guess some things never change.

(Message edited by Ramcharger on March 05, 2008)

W_6_mile
Username: W_6_mile

Post Number: 64
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The staff at the Main Library act as if they perform miracles!! They are rude, bitter acting people.

Jtong43
Username: Jtong43

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sidewalks are blocked because they and the porch are in terrible shape. It will take several million dollars for the needed repairs and the library just does not have the money.

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the library, aquarium at belle isle and whatever else, the money our fine mayor spent for the city on his legal troubles, lawsuits, and luxury vehicles could have been used to keep these sites operating.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This statements ar true, The front walk has been in disrepair for almost 10 years. The pavillion in front by the front door has been crumbling and cracking for just about as long.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 139
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to say that not everyone at the Main Branch is rude. I've been having microfilm of the Detroit News sent to me for the past four years and Carmen (now retired) and Glenn have been extremely helpful and friendly whenever I call and on rare occasion visit the microfilm room.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll echo that statement. I run into the occasional gruff librarian there but for the most part they are quite helpful and friendly. They need to repair that main entryway and the grounds. One would think a major local non profit would jump at the chance to do some visible work like that in the center of the cultural center.

Jtong43
Username: Jtong43

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The library is not a City of Detroit department. It receives no city money. Funding comes from a milage and the City has no say on how it is run.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.