Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Eastern Market expansion « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cooper
Username: Cooper

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do people think of Eastern Market's new economic development plan? I doubt they have the funding to do much of what they envision, but it's an ambitious plan.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/EMtownhall13208.a spx

http://www.detroiteasternmarke t.com/files/EM_Economic_Develo pment_Strategy_Final_Draft.pdf

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do you doubt they will have the funding?

Cooper

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just natural skepticism. My experience is that community development groups create neighborhood plans to leverage funding they don't yet have rather than plan in the present -- which is exactly what they should do if they want to attract more resources and have the greatest impact. It's just a reality that what's envisioned here is probably a long-term, best-case scenario.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 473
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its a private group who runs the market. The only funding they use is for the upkeep, stemming from vendor rents. They will be able to do much of the plan. But yes, it will take some time.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is a master plan, not necessarily a proposed development plan. it functions primarily as guidelines for developers who want to buy and develop buildings in the market area. they aren't proposing that they will raise money and build everything included, they just want to make sure the market area has cohesive plan/strategy.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2386
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first impression is that there is almost too many goals. This study goes into great depth. Some examples:

"The goals of this study can not be met with the current zoning and urban renewal plan. Updating the zoning, and creating an ordinance that reflects and enables the vision presented in this plan, is a critical next step in making the Eastern Market District more successful." page 1.11

"Introduce metered parking on Russell, Wilkins,and lots and spaces surrounding the Market. This will reduce panhandlers from taking advantage of unknowing visitors and provide the district with another layer of surveillance by parking meter attendants." sec. 1.15

"Offer opportunity to urban pioneers: artists’ studios/ lofts, yoga studios, live-work space for entrepreneurs." sec. 1.28

Most of them seem pretty simple and straight-foward. Even if Eastern Market could do half of them, that could be a big improvement for the district. Most of the goals should be rather easy to implement and guide the future of the district.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2574
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think new residential construction between the Milano Bakery and the FD Lofts would be a better use of the property than another business. Milano serves as the "coffee house" for residents living north of Wilkins.

The opening of streets currently closed would help redevelop some areas for more residential. I believe Riopelle and Orleans are closed between Mack and Wilkins. As suggested in the plan, they need to be reopened. Also, opening Antietam to Russell would definitely be a convenience for those trying to get to and from the Lafayette Park area.

The plan is ambitious and that's a good thing. I hope that some of the developments can happen sooner than later. The more I think about it, Eastern Market does have what a lot of folks on this forum crave: grocery shopping, bars and restaurants, and the proximity to sports venues, gambling, easy access to freeways, and all within walking distance of each other. What's needed is more residential and a 24/7 feel.

(Message edited by royce on March 08, 2008)

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 343
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum, Cooper. I am excited about the changes with Eastern Market (although I am sad to see most of the murals go).

By the way, is your first initial "A"?

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 246
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the financial front I believe that part of the proposal that got Council to agree to put Eastern Market into the hands of the non-profit was that they had a lot of money on the table already from at least one large foundation.

The plan was a long-term plan with achievable short term goals like the dequindre cut and the shed they are working on.

I think they are doing good work there and show a model of how some of the City's assets can be preserved by attracting some needed dollars.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1900
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum, Cooper. By the way, are you a printmaker?

Cooper

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, I'm glad to be here. My first initial is not A and I'm not a printmaker, but I do have a blog <http://thinkdetroit.blogspot.c om> and a passion for Detroit.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 192
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like this game...

Is your first name Cecil?

Cecil Cooper

I hope a lot of this proposal makes it to reality. They seem to think that the housing around Eastern Market would not compete to that of the CBD but I'd rather live walking distance from the market that almost anywhere else in the city. Not to mention the Cut being able to get you down to the river quickly

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoyed reading through the draft. It would be wonderful to see this historic market reach its full potential. Having been in some of the other markets mentioned, I can really see how it could be a great destination for visitors as well as THE place to shop for us all. I'd love to see it open at least three or four days a week during spring, summer and fall.

How about DB?

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastern Market has such potential. I have been trying to keep up with the developments there as much as I can. If EM can continue to improve and fullfil some of these initiates then I would seriously consider dumping my digs in TX and buying a loft there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.