Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Simpsons records and tapes « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 707
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool-quaint little place on 6 mile. Found Smooth Grooves compilation CD with 80's r&b hits. Includes Joyce Sims 'Come into my life'-had to sing the song to the clerk (apologized for my singing voice) who immediately new the artist...looked in the catalog. Huge selection of Gospel. Cant remember the cross streets but I think it was close to Hamtramck.

Wanderinglady
Username: Wanderinglady

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh, Simpsons Records has been at 6 Mile and Jos. Campau (just north of the Hamtramck border) for at least 40 years. It's where Donnie Simpson (famous DJ from BET and currently in Washington, DC) got his start. I'm sure a lot of Detroiters over 40 who were into soul or R&B music remember that Donnie was a big deal. He started at WJLB when he was a teenager, then moved to D.C. some years later. Don't know if the Simpson family still own the record store. I'm sure someone on this board can tell you more.

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't do business with TONYAS records on Gratiot, the employee at the counter, very rude never says thank you or anything when you buy multiple cd's and spend your money there, like i was paying a bill or something. They take it for granted they will stay in business in this economy, they'll figure it out when people stop coming there. i've since took my business elsewhere where the employees are not so rude. That is unless you like rude service where you spend your money. Their prices are way too high also.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.