Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Library Pub vs. Hamlin Pub « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jaydetroit
Username: Jaydetroit

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a little westside vs. eastside poll...I think Library Pub is definitely one of the more prominent and popular bar(s) on the westside. Hamlin has opened more locations, and they seem to be the local pubs that everyone on the eastside knows about. So whoever has been to at least one location of both, i ask you, which is the better neighborhood pub??? my vote is with Library...I think they should both open a bar downtown...with their reps i bet they would have customers out the door during the summer(i.e. tigers games etc.)

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 360
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well in Shelby Twp the popular pub for me and my friends is the Hamlin at 22 mile & Hayes. Something about the place keeps us coming back. Friendly wait staff, close to home, AWESOME pizza and good drinks.
I will say the 25 mile & Van Dyke Hamlin has a different feel but only been there a couple times.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4072
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't these just suburban bars in strip malls? Nothing much "neighborhood" about them.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4054
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Library is a very good pub, didn't they expand in WBloomfield already?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3960
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

America has too many fake (Irish) pubs. Giving your bar an Irish name doesn't make it a pub. The word pub is earned the hard way: tons and tons of puke and thousands of shattered cheekbones."

-George Carlin

Jaydetroit

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes you could classify as strip mall bars...but the customers are loyal and they are really good places to eat and drink at.

Yes they did expand into West Bloomfield...just north of maple on haggerty. Its larger than the Novi pub, they have had the killer flamingos play there a few times... same great menu... though i am still more loyal to the novi location, but its also closer to me as well.

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 167
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woo Library Pub! They need to go back to their old pizza crust, though.

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 168
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Library in W. Bfld is very acceptable for a suburban bar. Food's good as is the beer selection. Not as good as Tom's though!

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I have a better discussion, but along the same lines though.... which Mile Rd is the best shopping and entertainment district.... 22 Mile or 21 Mile Rd.....or could it be 23 Mile Rd... lol. ;)

Billpdx
Username: Billpdx

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

woo, boy! Good times. Which strip mall "bar" will I likely never enter?

I think it's a tie.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 868
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A "pub" in a strip mall is like Christine Beatty wearing white to her next wedding.

False advertising.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're both pretty cool. I've only been to the original Hamlin Pub in Rochester Hills.

Are any of the other Hamlin Pubs non-smoker friendly? I know they certainly have non-smoking areas, but they're often meaningless. So often, places divide a completely open room in half, and the non-smoking 'section' is just as full of smoke as the smoking section. If I sit somewhere in non-smoking and still leave with my clothes and hair reeking of smoke, we don't generally find ourselves there too much.

Fury13

Post Number: 4075
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to make things a little clearer here:

Neighborhood bar:

neigh bar

NOT a neighborhood bar:

not a bar

Danindc

Post Number: 3966
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Ha ha! Thanks for the clarification, Fury!

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a bar. It's in somebody's neighborhood. Is it downtown? No. Is it in a standalone building? No. Does it serve beer? Does it serve food? Do they show sports? Do they act as a gathering place for people with a common locale? Yes.

I guess all the people who keep 'pointing out' that it's not a neighborhood bar would suggest that every time somebody who lives in northern Macomb County wants to meet up with friends, have some pizza and a couple of cold ones, that they should hop in their car and drive 25 miles downtown so they satisfy your 'criteria' of a worthy neighborhood bar. Or something. Whatever.

The question wasn't even whether they qualify as neighborhood bars or not. It was about which one people preferred. Otherwise the topic would have read 'Are the Library and Hamlin pubs considered neighborhood bars?' But it doesn't say that, does it? If you don't ever plan on visiting, then how are you possibly be contributing to the thread topic, which as a reminder is 'Library Pub vs. Hamlin Pub'

Jaydetroit

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Sirrealone... as many others missed my point of the initial post. So what if they aren't standalone buildings...most bars, restaraunts, and clubs are not these days...they are trying to make walkable areas for people, such as mainstreet in Novi. Tons of bars, clubs and eateries...all of which are connected. Don't get me wrong, I love Detroit bars, town pump, the detroiter, and bookies are probably in my top 5 in metro Detroit...but I wouldnt take away from Library(or even Hamlin) as a friendly and quality neighborhood bar(s).

The ultimate point of my post was to say that they need to build one of each downtown! I really think they would do great here... same with COMO's from Ferndale...still waiting on them to build here.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 320
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very good topic. I haven't been to the Library in Novi in quite a while, didn't know they opened one in WB. They have a great French Dip sandwich. The Hamlin Pub in Lake Orion is much closer for me though and not a bad place to be. Plus, it's right across the street from my dentist ;-) And just to throw one out there, Mason's in Livonia (Farmington/Schoolcraft) has a GREAT bar burger.

Fury13

Post Number: 4078
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sirrealone, it's the use of the word "neighborhood" that irks me. Areas that are near places like the Hamlin Pub and Library Pub aren't neighborhoods, they're subdivisions.

All of this reminds me of Applebee's "lookin' good in the neighborhood" commercials. I've never seen an Applebee's in a neighborhood, but I've seen plenty situated in vast asphalt parking lots.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5494
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

they are trying to make walkable areas for people, such as mainstreet in Novi

How is that walkable? You can't walk TO it. Once you're there via your automobile, I don't see where you would be walking from one place to another. Unless you eat dinner at Mongo's and then go to a bar after. I doubt you're going to do your asian grocery shopping, and then go to a bar. Trickery and shinanigans.

Danindc

Post Number: 3975
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

All of this reminds me of Applebee's "lookin' good in the neighborhood" commercials. I've never seen an Applebee's in a neighborhood, but I've seen plenty situated in vast asphalt parking lots.

I had the same exact thought while reading this thread. You beat me to the punch.

Fury13

Post Number: 4081
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mean, we may as well debate Lowe's vs. Home Depot.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.merriam-webster.com /dictionary/neighborhood

I've lived in both a subdivision and the traditional big-city "block" neighborhood, and the neighborhood bar is the one that is close-by, serves good food, and frequented by friends and neighbors.

Fury, you're a snob. The neighborhood pub is wherever you make it. Wherever you choose for it to be - Jacoby's or Applebees.

Danindc

Post Number: 3977
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I've lived in both a subdivision and the traditional big-city "block" neighborhood, and the neighborhood bar is the one that is close-by, serves good food, and frequented by friends and neighbors.

If by "neighbors" you mean people who drive 5 miles to get there, sure.

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only time I went to the Library Pub in Novi, some random older man bought me, my wife and another couple our dinners and drinks... because he had a great day and we we're "so full of life." He absolutely would not let us pay our own bill. I enjoyed it, but have never been back. Not when my favorite Sushi joint in Michigan, Ajishin, sits in the same strip.

Raggedclaws

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danindc: I once lived in a very small town, a farming and horse community, about an hour outside of Detroit. There was a pub/grub "in town" that, at almost any given point in time, would be serving local doctors, farmers, teachers, you know - the town's residents. Small town so everyone knew everyone else.

You can bet your ass that even though many of us had to drive to get there, it was considered the neighborhood bar.

Danindc, you're a snob, too. And in your line of work I would think being so close-minded about city (rural or urban) living would be a liability.

How do you cope ?

Danindc

Post Number: 3978
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like someone is overly defensive.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 320
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This perpetual argument of 'your suburban ___ isn't as good as my city ___' needs to stop. Seriously. We know you think your urban life is far superior to anything we could experience in the 'burbs. FYI - subdivisions are neighborhoods, too.

I've been to the library pub several times as I have a lot of friends in the Novi area. Great place to hang out. I went to the Hamlin Pub - don't recall where, other than it was "very far" - but I had a great time there too. It's been a while though. For anyone who remembers Gregg & Michelle on 97.1, I saw their band MCM5 play there a couple years back.

Yaktown - agreed, Mason's is a great bar. Every time I'm in there, for some reason I think "this would be a great place to hang out during a Wings game".

My favorite neighborhood bar would be Sheehan's Irish Pub in Livonia (5 mile & I-275, adjacent to the driving range). Every time I'm in there I run into someone I know. It's an extremely comfortable place with great food & beer selection. Just don't plan on being seated right away during the Friday fish fry!

Raggedclaws

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry DC Dan, did you not challenge my definition of neighbors by implying that if they have to drive more than a couple of miles to the establishment that they aren't neighbors ? Did I read that wrong, sport ?

Let me guess...you, Danindc, live somewhere in an overpriced brownstone in DC, and just lurve to walk down to the corner pub and rub elbows with the DC posers that you are just positive also live in your neighborhood. And you thank God that its not a chain like Applebees cuz you just might like the Crispy Orange Chicken Bowl.

Does a cloud of self-satisfied smug follow you wherever you go ?

Nah, I'm not defensive. I'm just pretty sure you're a tool.

Fury13

Post Number: 4082
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Fury, you're a snob."

Yep, I probably am. Gotta have standards.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4065
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Standards are fine, but don't people who live in Novi have the right for a regular meeting spot? I'd never live in a place like Novi, but people do and those people probably enjoy the odd beverage now and then.

Maybe we could make a big neighborhood pub out of the Free Press Riverfront Plant?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5505
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Standards are fine, but don't people who live in Novi have the right for a regular meeting spot?

They have the right for a meeting spot. But Fury and I have the right to ridicule it.

Fury13

Post Number: 4085
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A giant saloon... yeah... now you're talkin', Oldredfordette. :-)

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ugh. After reading this thread I'm even more grateful for Hamtramck. There are real neighborhood bars here...as in house, house, bar, house, house.

Danindc

Post Number: 3979
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stop being such a snob, Melody.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4066
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Full disclosure here. A family member owns the Library. They go to extraordinary lengths to make it comfortable for repeat, neighborhood customers. So, snob away, hipsters. It's not aimed at you, anyways.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5508
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

repeat, neighborhood customers.

Do they live in one of these parking lots? Or maybe in one of these sites that are being developed into more parking lots?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5509
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Full disclosure from me, too: I have an agenda to get people re-interested in living in non-sprawl environments. The Library Pub is a nice place.

Danindc

Post Number: 3981
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^I think I actually see something near the retention pond to the left of the image. Can't tell if it's a house or just a tent.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4067
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A coworker is a regular at the Library, and he lives 5 minutes away. It would take longer than that for me to get to Club Barts, the bar I frequent.

I'm not defending Novi. It's horrifying to me. But people live there, people who drink and eat and watch sports. Should they stay home, as punishment for their suburban sins?

Btw, Ferndale is a suburb. Whether you like it or not.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5511
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A suburb, yes. A Novi-like example of uncontrollable sprawl and wasteful land use, no way.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Stop being such a snob, Melody."

I rather hang out in dirty Hamtramck bars than at places like Fountain Walk. If that makes me a snob to you then WHATEVER...it's Friday, go to the bar that makes you happy, even if it's Bennigan's.

(Message edited by Melody on March 07, 2008)

Fury13

Post Number: 4092
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck has many great, unique bars. Too bad the Norwalk is gone.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe this is really a thread.

Billpdx
Username: Billpdx

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe i'm really reading this thread. It's like a train wreck... I just can't look away.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 296
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Hamlin's took over Galligan's on Jefferson before it became Tom's Oyster Bar. Never really took off.

Vivitar
Username: Vivitar

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i like the library pub

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ugh. After reading this thread I'm even more grateful for Hamtramck. There are real neighborhood bars here...as in house, house, bar, house, house.

I agree, I love hanging out in Hamtramck. But as a resident of Macomb Township I do not see where people discredit the Hamlin Pub because it is in a strip mall. Shelby, Macomb, Chesterfield are basically new communities that were farmlands 20 years ago. That is the way they were set up, big boxes and miles of overpriced subdivisions. While I agree that they do not have the charm that Hamtramck has you cannot discredit the Hamlin Pub as being a neighborhood bar. It is a product of its enviroment.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 946
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury-
Is the first 'neighborhood pub' picture you posted above a bar called Danny's in Chicago? On Dickens, just east of Damen? Looks familiar.

Jaydetroit

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I started this thread... and I want to add some points here...

1.) I live in Novi, in apartments right next door to mainstreet. There are two complexes there, so it is quite walkable for many many people to goto library pub, amongst other bars such as post, mixx, dirty, 5th ave, and gus o'conners. At night many people are walking back from the bars around there, many young people.

2.) I luv all the bars in detroit, and i frequent them often... i work down in detroit as well....and next year im almost positive i will move down here as well. I actually prefer an urban walkable environment as opposed to the suburbs...but the Library pub is a high quality, fun, NEIGHBORHOOD bar! As a matter of fact, I will be WALKING there on st pattys day, right after i walk to gus o'conners, both of which will be out the door with lines. Though let me also note that the first place I will be that day is in Detroit at ole shillalies!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.