Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Grosse pointe north high school « Previous Next »
Archive through March 17, 2008Postbop30 03-17-08  2:47 am
Archive through April 12, 2008Pdombr30 04-12-08  2:48 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2259
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Postbop and Pdombr
Did you guys run CC with Jeff Rockwell?

Pdombr
Username: Pdombr

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Rockwell, there was a large group of us who used to go to Liberty Bowl for "Rock and Bowl", we had a blast.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2269
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By equipment I'm talking about running shoes, pole vaulting poles (not one GPer could properly pole vault despite having all brand new equipment, we did just fine with our 5+ year old poles), landing pads for pole vault and high jump, back stops for discus/shot put, hurdles, etc.

And no, I didn't have a chip on my shoulder, it was the GPers. They'd look down on us with their snobbery until they were left in the dust at the finish line. Then it was a different story.

Postbop
Username: Postbop

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 6:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Jeff from the track team and physics class; I didn't know him that well.

Postbop
Username: Postbop

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bvos,

I didn't really hear too much disregard from GPN students towards other schools in track meets. The teammates I had were pretty laid back and nice. It seemed like in track meets, anyway, that everyone was more concerned about focusing on their race(s), trying to improve their times, and become better runners. Maybe that's why our track teams won so many meets.

Mozeewink
Username: Mozeewink

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey...i was in physics class with Jeff Rockwell...

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 90
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The May 1st Grosse Pointe News finally had the exact details regarding the purchase of the land for G.P. North High.
"A total of 31.7 acres was purchased. Some 29.53 acres was bought from Edward and Frank Vanderbush and 2.17 from John Baker for $662,823 or an average of $20,889 per acre."
So this means that the Vanderbush's cleared over $4 million in 2007 dollars.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4722
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snobbery at GP North...haha that's funny. I'm sure they may have been acting snobbish, but it's just funny because the north district is just an extension of macomb county into the 313, with a few nice mansions and a club on the lake.

The Grosse Pointe High School and its adjacent neighborhoods are where justified snobbery has and always will reside.

I'm just kidding...we're not actually snobs.

My father was also in that first class through North. He did graduate fairly literate and proceeded to do alright...and sent his kids to South.

(Message edited by mackinaw on May 04, 2008)

Soomka1

Post Number: 92
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Mackinaw I can tell. That South class just shines through in every post of yours.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4723
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I lay it on pretty thick when I write about certain subjects, but I do apologize for when it isn't justified. Sometimes I embellish it on purpose, too.

And I know that just saying "the GP High" is the ultimate way to fire up the GPN partisans. Nobody wants to hear that they don't really exist! That said, GPN has a very real list of great alumni, a pretty eventful, if short, history, tons of great moments and accomplishments in athletics, and academic acheivement great enough to get it ranked in the US News rankings. I know plenty of top-notch North people who are great friends. Just don't expect me to say anything good about your facility!

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You must be really proud of your high school. That's cool. Thank God some people were able to overcome Grosse Pointe North's academic shortcomings to reach the elevated stature of being labeled "top-notch" by Mackinaw.

Seriously, who talks about their high school's US News rankings 5 years after they have graduated?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4724
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My last post wasn't sarcastic, I was just getting back on topic by pointing out that it's a highly-ranked school whose alums have tons to be proud of in spite of the halfway-serious chiding from the other side of town. Of course no one really pays close attention to high school rankings, but i just thought mentioning that was appropriate when it comes to showing how well both high schools do in the grand scheme.

And I know some great people from north, so sue me for wanting to make mention of that as I try to make amends after crashing the little GPN party here.

Yeah, I'm proud of some things...I'm sure you are too (i.e. your status as the best moneylender?).

Soomka1

Post Number: 93
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, you are just digging a deeper hole. I have a strong suspicion that you have said "some of my best friends are black" before.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4727
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who the hell are you judge me like that? Based on what?

I'm done here, and I regret ever stepping into your little GPN domain. Somebody tries to poke a little fun but still be amicable and compliment the place that the whole thread is about, and he gets attacked. How much antipathy do you think I actually have...i already said that my own father and several close friends went there? Learn to take part in some lighthearted "debate." When we aren't talking about major issues that affect the city on this forum, this is generally how things work here. Sorry for showing up.

Soomka1

Post Number: 94
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bye Bye. I'm guessing by the outrage at our not thanking you for giving GPN your blessing, that you are a UofM guy too. That would explain the strange behavior.

The_rock

Post Number: 2304
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw--You are OK in my book. Anytime of the year. I am on your side. Even though I, too, am one of those "strange hehaviorist" from U of M.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soomka1, how do you know Mackinaw isn't African American himself? Do you know him?

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, I totally get what your saying and get your humor. I don't think anybody here has said anything that bad to ruffle your feathers. GPN is not the school that it once was. As far as being an " extension of Macomb county into the "313". I do not agree with that. GPN has changed considerably in the past few years and has turned more into an extension of Wayne county. It's no secret that some of their recent sports achievements where made possible by some outside interests. As far as academics, GPN and GPS will always be top notch because of parental involvement and community pride.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4731
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright, I want to talk to Servite76, who is actually interesting in talking. Anyway, I was just speaking at the superficial level (i.e. what the school and many of the neighborhoods look like) with my Macomb joke (with reference to the macomb v. GPN tension that Bvos perceived.) Now you have me wondering, though, what you mean by the GP North district being an extension of Wayne County. It is Wayne County haha. I really hope this isn't how people frame the increasing diversity there.

Thanks, Rock. And Alley-- I am white, but your point is important to remember in an online forum.

Soomka1

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Alley, I don't know him, I was just trying to explain to that there are certain people who have a high opinion of themselves. They are not very self-aware and people always seem to "misunderstand" what they are saying and get upset. They tend to say things that sound just fine to them such as the example I noted above which really aren't OK to say.

Servite76

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soomka1, I may be one of those people that you are talking about. I have a tendency to put my foot in my mouth quite often. Just ask my wife!! I took a wooping for a comment I made about a gentlemen wanting to move his family from Florida to East English Village. I told him don't even think about it if you have kids. I grew up there and have great memories of that neighborhood, but would I raise a family there now? No, but that's just my opinion. I asked a question on another thread about suggestions of getting rid of lawn clover. You would have thought I asked of a good way to blow up Belle Isle. I'm pretty new to this forum and I really do like it. But if you ask me, there are to many tree huggers and people just waiting for you to say what they perceive as the wrong thing or politically incorrect. Mackinaw, as far as answering your question about GPN being an extension of Wayne County. I'm not sure of how to answer that. I'll just leave that alone for the sake of not sounding insensitive. Someone will take it the wrong way.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4732
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is just easy to misunderstand on an online forum where tone-of-voice can't be heard. I am self-aware, and I am actually a writer. I don't want to divulge my actual name, but I could link you directly to dozens of published pieces online-- I do know the impact of language, so don't suggest that I'm clueless. I just try a little too hard on the forum, and yes, sometimes things are misunderstood, and that is my fault because I write and think too fast sometimes. I wouldn't come into to a forum like this (which kind of belongs in Detroit Connections) just to put you all down. I shall try to be more clear.

But enough about me!

Servite-- I think I know what you mean, and I won't make you say anything that might rile people up. I would just recommend taking the trends in the GP schools for what they are and considering the possible benefits of diversity. That's not to say that racial diversity is the most important thing (I think socioeconomic diversity is more important, and all of GP has more of this than most people assume), but the changes could do us well.

(Message edited by mackinaw on May 04, 2008)

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, what year did you graduate? Me, GPS '96

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4733
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'04. Sometimes it seems like so long ago. Other times, like yesterday. I still have family going through there, so I get to hear about how it is these days.

The_rock

Post Number: 2305
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alley---Speaking of your GPS, did you attend one of the 12 performances of GPS's Les Miz which just ended yesterday? It was outstanding. 12 performances. Unreal. I have never, never seen a high school performance like it. Those kids were just super in all respects; the singing, dancing, acting, staging etc. Reminded me of when I first saw it in New York.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 312
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GO SOUTH!
97'

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4735
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny that you bring that up, Rock, because my sister was begging me to go one of those shows with her, but I didn't make it. But I was astounded when I did go to choir shows because the quality of their performances and the content they select is outstanding. I know that talent is everywhere, but instruction matters, and I'm sure the GP schools are in a small upper-echelon for music education and performance. When I was a senior the GPS went to Europe and even sang before the Pope. Instrumental music is also excellent; I recently attended South's concert at Music Hall downtown, and it really sounded like I was watching professionals. I've kept track of the awards that the bands have been pulling through family at both schools, and both are getting multiple superior ratings at music festivals.

Servite76

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, musical instruction at GPS. Ellen Bowen? There's a whole new thread. LOL

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 314
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

been a thread for some time also

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock,

I was there. My nephew was in the production.

I have seen most of their productions over the last 8 years or so and I walked away saying that this is the best I have ever seen. Excellent!

Servite76

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, Irish, I wanted to go myself. Les Miz is one of my favorite shows. My wife and me have some friends whose kids went to GPS and were in the award winning show choirs and musicals. Some of them have gone on to Broadway and touring shows. One is in Asia now touring in 42nd Street and another is touring with Gypsy. I should add that just as Little League, Babe Ruth, Red Barons etc. have been excellent feeder programs to GPS and GPN where some fine student athletes have come out of. Theater and music programs at early ages in Grosse Pointe have also produced great talent. One of best musical developement programs was at the Grosse Pointe War Memorial a number of years ago. The Grosse Pointe Pointe Childrens Theater under the direction of Sally Reynolds. A perfectionist just as Ellen Bowen is.

(Message edited by Servite76 on May 05, 2008)

The_rock

Post Number: 2308
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There will be tapes available of the Les Miz production. Get one, you will not be disappointed.
My kids all went to GPN. Our only connection to GPS is our church organist, a Sr. at GPS who played Javert in the production. WOW! What talent.And what a musician.

I know that Ellen Bowen is (quite) controversial in GP. I do not know either Sally Reynolds or Ms. Bowen. Never met either. But one things for sure. They are both geniuses. And what devotion.

Servite76

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, my son(07') and daughter(04') both went to GPN. Son just finished freshman year at Western and daughter just graduated from Western.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, are you at Jefferson Ave. Presby?

I understand that TK practices on that organ every week.

I think Dave Wagner (WRCJ) is familiar with him as well.

I haven't heard him play, but I heard he was exceptional

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4737
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was recently a story about him in South's top, weekly newspaper, The Tower. I'd love to hear him play. If D. Wagner knows about him, that's a good sign (I was impressed with Wagner's skills during his tenure at St. Joseph-Detroit).

The_rock

Post Number: 2311
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TK plays for us at the GP Congregational Church each Sunday.Come hear him at 10 AM. I know he does occasionally practice elsewhere, but he's "ours" til school starts this Fall.
He got to play the big Skinner organ at Hill auditorium a month ago in Ann Arbor and an hour and a half lesson with world famous organ instructor, Marilyn Mason.
We only have an 11 rank Wicks Organ, but he gets sounds from it that make you think of E. Power Biggs!
And speaking of GPN, one of the singers in our choir played/sang the role of Sky Masterson in Guys and Dolls at the GPN musical a bout 6 weeks ago. So North has its talents too, and as previously reported on this thread, GPers usually vote "yes" on millage increases to keep those Arts programs flourishing. The kids are fortunate, the schools are fortunate, but so are the taxpayers.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock,

Good church! My youngest daughter did her pre-school there and a very long time ago, I used to use the basement as a practice room for a rock band that I was in...a couple of guys in the band were in a youth group at the time and knew the minister.

I regularly enjoy your church bells from my yard.

Enjoy the music while you have that guy there!

Mackinaw,

D. Wagner displayed his prowess in GP at St. Ambrose and St. Paul's and presently at St. Anne's in Sterling Heights, I think. You can also catch him conducting the Choir for Madonna University. I saw them at the Episcopal church on Mack at Christmas (St. Stephen's?). Good stuff!

The_rock

Post Number: 2314
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Irish, for your kind words. Actually, I have the technician coming to the Church next Tuesday to "tweek" the bells/electric carillon. We don't want to blast out the neighbors.

And if and when Michigan beats Ohio State, the carillon will be programmed to play "The Victors" as soon as the game is over.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.