Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » La Shish closed for good » Archive through March 03, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 232
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Sahara on Harper south of 9.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 970
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alan55 - Thanks for giving me the name! I was going to mention Cedarland in Dearborn but couldn't come up with the name. (senior moments are getting closer together!) Anyway, love their lentil soup.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beirut Palace on 11/Main is awesome, and Cedar Garden on 9/mack is pretty good too.

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to Ike's last night. Good food, good prices.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 407
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome....Right-On!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1874
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pmardo swears by a place in hamtramck

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the best in Dearborn: Al Ameer (or is it spelled Al Amir?) on W. Warren and Miller. Very good food. Laid-back atmosphere. Friendly staff. Easy to reach from the I-94 exit at Michigan. (Just go north at the first light to Warren.)

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 711
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out La Marsa at Grand River and Drake. I believe the owner once worked at La Shish and brought all of the best in the food to his new establishment. Great food and service!

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Publicmsu, that's the place I was speaking of in my post upthread.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there's also a place inside the Park Bar, off of Woodward, with AWESOME chicken shwarma sandwiches

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I think it was LaShish who made Middle Eastern food popular in the Detroit area. Having worked in Dearborn for 30 years for Ford. I worked with Tallil, the owner of LaShish before he opened his first place at Michigan and Oakman. American people started to try Middle eastern cousine when it opened. His chain made others popular too. He was just the catalyst to get it going, I think. Its too bad that the chain of circumstances led to the demise and all the problems that they had. Now there are other restaurants that are just as good. Maybe not as consistant? I know you could go to any of the LaShish places and the food pretty much was the same.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 175
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been eating my way up and down Middlebelt and Merriman and have found plenty of places as good as La Shish. Pine Land in Westland is great (second location in Farmington on 12 mile, and if you want the "variety meats," you can get 'em there) and prices are rock-bottom.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good riddance, terrorist Chahine.

I've been waiting for this day to come.

Russell
Username: Russell

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cedar garden on Mack just south of 9 mile. Good and good prices.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 409
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_detroit....Right-On!

Guideboat
Username: Guideboat

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a shame, the whole family kind of imploded it seems. The west Dearborn location had great hot and fresh pita, and great flat bread when the old lady was there making them on her stove.

The quality dropped off in recent years, and crowds were waaayyy down. I got take-out a few weeks back and there wasn't a soul in the restaurant. Guess I'll have try LaPita again for decent close-by Middle Eastern food, otherwise it'll be across town for good take-out.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2791
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We love the food at Mr. Kabob in the Sunoco station at 12 Mile and Coolidge in Berkley. Yes, it is primarily take out, although it does have a few seats there.

The owners have just opened the Kabob Cafe, which seats about 75, on Evergreen just north of 10 Mile. Haven't eaten there yet, but if it is anything like the food at Mr. Kabob, it will be fantastic!!

We too haven't been eating at LaShish in the past year because of the family's illegal activities.

Hamtramike
Username: Hamtramike

Post Number: 486
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"pmardo swears by a place in hamtramck"

probably referring to a place called "Lebanese Chicken" @ 10023 Joseph Campau)

(Message edited by hamtramike on March 02, 2008)

Slider
Username: Slider

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drove by LaShish in Ann Arbor tonight. Sign was on and parking lot appeared full of cars. Was the A2 location somehow unaffected?

It's a bit of a drive but The Beruit in Toledo is fantastic. I always preferred it over LaShish, although it will be missed.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 10566
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For good is right...the original owners were bad news.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The patrons voted with their wallets, they don't want to support allegedly terrorist funding.

Dag
Username: Dag

Post Number: 224
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slider-

La Shish in AA is Charlie's La Shish. While it was initially affiliated they distanced themselves in '05 I believe.

If you look at the a Shish website, they do not list a location in Ann Arbor either.

Slider
Username: Slider

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dag,
Thanks for the clarification

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7160
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what Talal Chihine gets when he supports terrorism. His 19 year American dream is gone and 350 people who worked for him had been cheated, duped and bamboozled! How are they going to pay their bills? This is another blow to our Michigan economy. Enjoy your stay in Lebanon Mr. Chihine. Open up your new restaurant but it's not going to last. Allah sees your sins and his judgement will come to your like swift desert winds.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 305
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was always a big fan of New Yasmeen in East Dearborn. I used to work on W. Warren at my dads business, and every morning we would either go to Yasmeen...or...Man...I forget the name...Ford and Chase I think...Awesome Jibna though...

My sister used to work at La Pita and they would joke around saying she was the only white girl on an all arab staff...which she was.

I remember getting to work at my dads shop in the morning (ironically known as the last white owned Business on West Warren Ave.) and smelling the horrid smell from the Halal butcher accross the street...but they had some great Shish Tawook...

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2559
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DAMMIT DAMMIT !

I wish they could have sold the business instead of having it collapse. Were any of the allegations EVER PROVEN ?

BTW nobody on earth but our crack smoking government considers the modern Hezbollah a "terrorist organization".

Scout
Username: Scout

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"One of the best in Dearborn: Al Ameer (or is it spelled Al Amir?) on W. Warren and Miller. Very good food. Laid-back atmosphere. Friendly staff. Easy to reach from the I-94 exit at Michigan. (Just go north at the first light to Warren.)"

I'll second this one. Here is their site: http://www.alameerrestaurant.c om/menu.htm

I also like Byblos at WSU.

(Message edited by Scout on March 03, 2008)

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 211
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll also vote for Al Ameer on Warren. Used to work nearby and have eaten there more than 50 times. I have tried others but Al Ameer blows them all away. I have since retired and it's just to far now.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 841
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

non-partisan Council on Foreign Relations

quote:

Hezbollah and its affiliates have planned or been linked to a lengthy series of terrorist attacks against the United States, Israel, and other Western targets. These attacks include:

a series of kidnappings of Westerners in Lebanon, including several Americans, in the 1980s;
the suicide truck bombings that killed more than 200 U.S. Marines at their barracks in Beirut, Lebanon, in 1983;
the 1985 hijacking of TWA flight 847, which featured the famous footage of the plane’s pilot leaning out of the cockpit with a gun to his head;
two major 1990s attacks on Jewish targets in Argentina—the 1992 bombing of the Israeli Embassy (killing twenty-nine) and the 1994 bombing of a Jewish community center (killing ninety-five).
a July 2006 raid on a border post in northern Israel in which two Israeli soldiers were taken captive. The abductions sparked an Israeli military campaign against Lebanon to which Hezbollah responded by firing rockets across the Lebanese border into Israel.

hezbollah english site

Looks like Mauser needs to do some reading

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2564
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You do too. Consider your sources.