Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Cunningham's » Archive through March 08, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

W_6_mile
Username: W_6_mile

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have a memory of this defunct pharmacy?

Dorothyd
Username: Dorothyd

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my early years, we used to go to the one on the corner of Van Dyke and Gratiot and get the flavored Cokes. Never filled a prescription there, though.

Snoringbeagle
Username: Snoringbeagle

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep would always go up to the one at harper and van dyke and flirt with the counter girls making our milkshakes.

Dorothyd
Username: Dorothyd

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were many Cunningham's throughout the city and one downtown on Griswold that I would cut through on lunch hours many a time.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 308
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's one. My first time time staying in big bad Detroit without my parents was 1975 (I was 17). My friend and I checked in at the Book Cadillac. $19.95 each for the weekend special included Sunday brunch (We sat with two of the visiting Baltimore Orioles at these big round tables). We needed a late night snack so walked down the street to Cunningham's. We bought our chocolate bars and chips and watched the man with the big gun guard the store as the various patrons bought their booze from the guy behind the glass. We stood on the sidewalk outside the store as we ate our snacks and chatted with the hookers as they offered their charms to customers and to the guys selling pot before making our way back to the hotel. My next trip to the Book Caddy just won't be as exciting as the first.

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cunningham's at the corner of Springwells and Vernor. It was a rare treat to get something at the lunch counter back in my childhood days. Also, they would have an Easter coloring contest where they showcased all the entries and then gave away a very large stuffed Easter bunny. Always entered - never won.

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 170
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grew up with the one at Wonderland, and the one at Sheldon Center. They were green.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 877
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just remember standing with my big gun and chasing clearacil addicts away from the girlie mags.

Kicked them out and then they harrassed my steady customers calling them hookers and what not. If I ever find those kids I'm gonna kick their asses.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 222
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our Cunninghams' was located at Michigan & Junction - now a coney island. Dtctygrl -I forgot all about that easter contest, I never won either!

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought my first Michigan lottery ticket at the Cunninghams on Woodward in Highland Park; it was on the corner of Sears street, across from the Sears Department store. It was 1970, I was 16, and wanted to become a millionaire like Hermus Millsaps.

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have a picture of the Cunningham's on hayes and houston whittier in the old days? (or the shopping center strip)

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 176
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother met his future wife at the Cunningham's at the corner of East Jefferson and Newport, circa 1953. They are still going strong, but the Cunningham's is not. It became a cut rate drug store in the late '60's. The building is still there, next to the old Vanity Ballroom ruin. I can still remember the "old days" in the '60's, when they had a soda fountain. Small Cokes were 5 cents, and a single scoop of ice cream was the same price.
I also used to frequent the Cunningham's in the Civic Center at Houston-Whittier and Hayes.

(Message edited by Newport1128 on March 08, 2008)

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep, the big "c", used to test our picture tubes there.

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

must have been nice Newport1128, I wish I could have seen the area how it was then instead of how it is now. I do remember when the civic center was nice but when east jeff was in good shape was just before my time.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1995
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My ex-local Cunningham's, at Van Dyke & 7 Mile.

Cunningham's Van Dyke & 7 Mile

vmc/wsu

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that photo, Hornwrecker. If memory serves, wasn't there a Cunningham's at 7 & and Mack as well?

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another Cunningham's was at Fort St. and Emmons in the Lincoln Park Plaza. It now is a Blockbuster Video. The original drug store at that location was Kinsel's drugs. This store also had the tube testing machine right inside the door.

W_6_mile
Username: W_6_mile

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im a westsider and the I can id 6 Mile and Prairie, 7 Mile and Lodge, Grand River and Greenfield, Grand River and Oakland, Grand River and Southfield, Schaefer and 6 Mile and 7 Mile and Livernois off the top of my head.

Detroitinmyheart
Username: Detroitinmyheart

Post Number: 194
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to go to the one on 6 mile and Dequindre where Mom would buy all the "as Seen on Tv " stuff like the Ronco record cleaner and the Rhine stone Studder.

great memories

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the tube tester, Lpg. We would go in there and mess with it like we were at mission control. You could take the red and black leads and make the needle jump on the meter by mating them. I would love to see one again.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 297
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Cunningham's at 7-Mack across from another old drug store chain, Revco.

Detroitinmyheart
Username: Detroitinmyheart

Post Number: 195
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-Cunnin ghams-Drug-Store-Ad-Weather-Ca lendar-on-Back_W0QQitemZ290211 813259QQihZ019QQcategoryZ1525Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVi ewItem

Ticub
Username: Ticub

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the old radio commercial, "Cunningham's News Ace Zooms into Your Home!" Late 40's I believe.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 171
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe there was a Cunninghams in Hamtramck on the corner of Jos. Campau and Caniff in the early 70s. It's a dollar store now, but I believe I (vaguely) remember Cunninghams Drugs being there when I was very young.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 189
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Cunningham's in Huntington Woods...Coolidge & 11 Mile. Used to take a walk almost every night as a kid...and that was one stop on my route. Then would walk down Coolidge to Lincoln and stop at Lincoln Drugs to see if any friends were there at the soda fountain.

What a shame that nowadays you wouldn't ever let your child walk around alone at night. I used to walk about a 2 mile route every night (mostly to get away from my "evil" stepfather). Always felt safe walking alone.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 200
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which of the corners at Van Dyke and Gratiot had the Cunningham's? NE, NW, or SW

(Message edited by Stinger4me on March 08, 2008)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the early 70s, the only place to shop after normal store hours and Sundays was the all night Cunningham's. We'd go to the one on Ford and Schaefer for staples like milk. Yes, we ran out of milk after the store closed. Again!

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 233
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our beloved Cunninghams was at the corner of E.Warren and Outer Drive.

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 102
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cherry Hill Plaza Cunningham's, Dearborn Heights. I remember during Easter. Halloween and Christmas, the holiday stuff, toys and stuffed animals, loaded up above the counters above your head.

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 146
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As with Ggores, we would take all of our tubes out of the TV and go to the tube testing machine at the E.Warren and Outer Drive Cunninghams. It would always determine that at least two tubes were bad. This was before RCA color TVs and happened somewhat frequently.