Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » [City's residency rule could cost millions for charities]...Just to Spite your Face « Previous Next »
Archive through March 11, 2008Crystal30 03-11-08  10:44 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow... how incredibly divisive and stupid.

Is the council trying to make sure that the rift between the city and the suburbs never, ever closes?

Heck, while they’re at it, they should require that 51% of the Tigers, Wings and Lions live in the city. If the players don’t move, just cancel the season.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 341
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ramifications of this go far beyond the decision to limit funding to these groups, which is why this debate is important. Some of these non-profits will change a few positions on their boards, some might go without CDBG money, others may close up shop and give up the fight. By making a statement as Barbara Rose Collins did, you send a chilling and disgusting message to those who want to help the city, whether they be for profit or non-profit entities. This goes way beyond CDBG, this is a mentality that persists at all levels of government in the City. Unfortunately it is also a mentality that attracts the least common denominator of the voting public.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3642
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nonprofits ruled ineligible for CDBG funds this year because of the residency requirement will get a chance to plead their case to the council, which will hold an appeals hearing from 1 to 4 p.m. March 19 in the auditorium on the 13th floor of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 388
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjk, LMAO. It be funnier if it wasn't true.

And what about investors? Penske, Ilitch, Karmanos... we don't need you or your staff! Take a hike!

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mbr's take on this is spot on. It would be amusing to see Councilwoman Collins' reaction if Focus Hope, the Urban League and Greening of Detroit replaced their black suburbanite board members with white Detroiters. When one wears race-colored glasses all of the time, one's vision is bound to suffer.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all this is funny, but what is tragic is the amount that this CC makes compared to bigger cities. Lets just say Detroiters are not getting what they pay for.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 199
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: all this is funny, but what is tragic is the amount that this CC makes compared to bigger cities. Lets just say Detroiters are not getting what they pay for.

insult to injury

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 491
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rel..don't people who work in the City but don't live in the City pay non-resident taxes?

This is outrageous:
"Councilwoman Barbara-Rose Collins said she sees no reason to defend the council's decision, and called the notion that outsiders can better dictate how money is used within the city paternalistic and a "slave-master mentality."

The City of Detroit administration is biggest group of racists that I've seen in a long time. They perpetuate the racial divide every time they open their mouths.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be interesting to see if the Founder's Society at the DIA has 51 percent Detroit board members. If not, then there are probably other S.E. Michigan art museums (such as Flint or Ann Arbor) who would enjoy the benefit of their tens of millions of dollars of patronage.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a recent development, the Jewish Vocational Services has hired Jjaba as a Board Nominations Committee consultant and charged him with the task of finding and persuading some Jewish Detroiters to join their board. Jjaba knows where to find them. JVS understands that up until now it hasn't really been effectively meeting the needs of Detroiters.

(Message edited by swingline on March 11, 2008)

Evelyn

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we should require that 51 percent of council members live in neighborhoods other than Palmer Woods. They might realize that Detroit has bigger issues to deal with than this.

Out of curiosity, how many non-profits qualified for the council's standards?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2060
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thing about that "slave-master" mentality is that long after the analogous "master" group has partially let go of it, the analogous "slave" group just can't get it out of their heads.
One of the enduring toxicities of racism.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 610
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By forcing approval through council, it's a power grab from the administration more than anything else.

The council has wanted their hands on CDBG to spend as they see fit for awhile.

It does send the wrong message, but really folks, should we expect anything else?

One of two things will happen - they will approve everyone after some grousing each year to maintain control and ensure a few extra contribution dollars from board members go into their account, or you will see the organizations that do city programs but are only possible because they get additional CDBG dollars just pull out completely and take their resources elsewhere to places like Pontiac, who also need them and will gladly take their money.

A SMARTER move would be to have them show proof that the money is spent (for the most part) on Detroit-based projects. I DO understand the idea that if the city is spending a million bucks, the vast majority of that should come back to the city.

I also see flawed logic in the board members getting paid argument - I know very few if no non-profit board members that get more than token gas money. The money, if it is escaping, isn't escaping there.

(Message edited by digitalvision on March 11, 2008)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5544
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit says "No Thanks" to the following Charities:

Accounting Aid Society
Southwest Counseling and Development Services
Chosen Generation Center
Learning Institute of Family Education
Lift Women's Resource Center
Church of Messiah Housing Corporation
Bethel Housing
St. Christine Christian Services
Goodwill Industries
Mariners Inn
VSA Arts of Michigan
Joy-Southfield Development Corporation, Inc.
Boysville of Michigan, Inc./Holy Cross Children's Services
Michigan Veterans Foundation
New Hope Community Development Non-Profit Housing Corporation
Covenant House of Michigan
Clear Corps
Gray & Gray - Detroit Theatre for the Dramatic Arts
Society of St. Vincent DePaul
International Institute of Metropolitan Detroit, Inc.
Children of the King
Alzheimers Association
City Year
National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence
Wayward Founding Youth Resource Center
Detroit Midtown Micro-enterprise Fund
Detroiters Working for Environmental Justice
Think Detroit
Girl Scouts of Metro Detroit
Wayne County Neighborhood Legal Services - Emergency Shelter Grant
Community Living Services, Inc
Charles H. Wright Museum
Detroit Institute for Children
People's Housing & Community Development Corp.
Detroit Central City Community Mental Health
Southwest Detroit Business Assoc
SDBA Community Policing
Latin Americans for Social & Economic Development, Inc.
Serenity Services
Alternative for Girls
Detroit Area Pre College Engineering Program (DAPCEP)
L & L Daycare
Children's Hospital - Horizon
Children's Hospital of Michigan - Pediatric Mobile
Coalition on Temporary Shelter (COTS)
Jewish Vocational Service
DRMM - Detroit Rescue Mission
DRMM - Genesis I
DRMM - Genesis II
DRMM - Genesis III
World Medical Relief
Greening of Detroit
Life Directions
Lula Belle Stewart Center
Wayne County NLS Parenting and Youth Enrichment/Mediation
Matrix Human Services - LifeHouse
Matrix - Casa Maria
Matrix - Walter and Mary Ruether Senior Services
Matrix Human Services, Project Transition Housing Project
Legal Aid And Defender Association
Freedom House
Michigan Conf. Of SDA Detroit Metro Van Project
YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit
Community Service Community Development Corp.
ATCII
Beulah Land Institute
Akwaaba Community Center
Gleaners Community Food Bank
Wolverine Human Services
Detroit Urban League
Detroit Inner City Drill Team
Peoples Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit
ICLL Industrial Park
Southwest Detroit Enviromental Vision
Bushnell Congregational Church
Boys & Girls Club of Southeastern Michigan
New Center Council Inc.
SER Metro Detroit Jobs for Progress
Adult Well Being Services
Detroit Youth Foundation
Looking For My Sister
The First Tee of Michigan Foundation
Amandla Community Development Corporation
Development Corporation of Wayne County
World Changers Community Alliance
Detroit Area Council, Boy Scouts of America
Development Centers Inc.
Travelers Aid Society
Focus: HOPE
Little Rock Community Nonprofit Housing

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually enjoying the conversation on this tread. Out of curiosity, what is the Senior Citizens Repair Program, and why do they receive so much more than anybody else from the CDBG fund ($3 mil)?

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 613
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I would love to see is a number that adds what all of those charities actually spend in the city... I'm going to be you that the number they spend is much higher than the CDBG block amounts.

Talk about a great headline - "Council denying $40 million in CDBG turns into taking $200 million in services from residents" or something like that.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11425
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the most moronic decisions ever. Every member of CC that voted for this should be run out of town ASAP.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2532
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wonder if Detroit could get a special waiver because of the large number of dolts on the city council. It would be kind of like not holding a mentally retarded person responsible for a contract they signed because they didn't know any better.

Comparing the council to the mentally challenged is offensive to mentally challenged people everywhere.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1991
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Charles H. Wright Museum

i'd like to hear what BRC thinks about how this charity is perpetuating the master-slave mentality

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6445
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess we have to spell it out for the newbies (and especially Detroitrise, since he (surprisingly) doesn't seem to understand the joke)... MORANS is an inside DetroitYES joke. There's a graphic picture of some blue collar man in a picket line holding up a "MORANS" sign that gets posted here quite often.

So it's not a matter of bad spelling...

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 328
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a surprise! Stupidity by the City Clowncil?
Shocked, I'm shocked.

In another land not long ago, our city government would have been labeled "apartheid".

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5546
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There should be angry mobs with torches and rakes storming the CAY building.

Nope, I don't see any.

Edziu
Username: Edziu

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"DOLTS", I love it. Well put, Dabirch!

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 673
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, that is a long and complete-looking list. What well-known groups will qualify per the new standard?

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could the city actually be promoting gentrification? I hope not, but I also seem to remember a couple recent cases in which the city bought some low income apartment buildings in Midtown, then kicked out the residents. Then there is the no panhandling rules in Campus Martius.

I really hope that it's not true, but it makes me wounder. The poor that use some of these services may spend more time around the non-profits in the burbs, which may make those areas seem worse to crime fearing suburbanites, and make parts of Detroit seem better.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 367
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Typically board members on non-profits are there because they can donate generously themselves, know people who are possible large donors, or because of their expertise in the group's cause.

An unbelievable decision, just unbelievable. The only positive thing here is that fortunately the decision was not unanimous.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has to be illegal as it is certainly a form of discrimination. The ACLU should be all over this!

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 264
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detx, you hit the nail on the head!

Couldn't a State or Federal Court rule this unconstitutional?

It's too bad we can't broom out KK, the Clownsil, and any lingering crony keystone cops and start with a clean sheet. Oh, that's right. I'm a suburbanite, I can't vote there, and my charity $ isn't welcome. So much for saving Detroit from the outside...

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you live in Warren, you can't act too high and mighty considering the thug administration that has been in power there for the previous 10 - 15 years. Steenburgh, Munem, the Council....

Bulgaria on Van Dyke.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 898
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean of Detroit, as you are new around here, I am loath to take you to task for seemingly insane comments; so, I will assume you simply spilled something on the keyboard and were mopping up when these words appeared by accident:
quote:

Could the city actually be promoting gentrification? I hope not, but I also seem to remember a couple recent cases in which the city bought some low income apartment buildings in Midtown, then kicked out the residents. Then there is the no panhandling rules in Campus Martius.

I really hope that it's not true, but it makes me wounder. The poor that use some of these services may spend more time around the non-profits in the burbs, which may make those areas seem worse to crime fearing suburbanites, and make parts of Detroit seem better.

If you actually intended to write that, please explain in detail why you are against gentrification and in favor of pan handling and while your at it explain the "crime fearing suburbanites" thing.

I was not aware that city residents don't fear crime. Please correct my wrong impressions.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't mean that it's bad to attract new residents, but pushing out the old purposely just doesn't seem right to me. I like the no panhandling rules, but the combination of those actions mentioned above is what I was referring to.

What I meant by crime fearing suburbanites is a reference to the mentality that many outside the city posses. Many seem to think the city is much worse than it is. When I first moved downtown I had friends and family members who wouldn't visit me because they were afraid of "getting shot". As the years went by that view slowly changed, mostly after the new streetscapes on Woodward and Washington, and the completion of Campus Martius. This clearly seemed like the proof of the broken window theory to me. If that really is true, then possibly the city could be trying to eliminate the harassment of panhandlers and the appearance of lower income buildings and people in some areas. You can call me insane, but it's just what I saw. I wasn't impling that city residents aren't afraid of crime. They just seem less afraid of broken windows, charities, and poverty. They seem to know that doesn't always mean high crime.

My sister keeps up with the happenings in Livonia and other suburbs and reads their papers. In one of the articles that appeared when Wounderland Mall closed it was said the reason the mall was closing was because of a increase in crime by people taking the bus to shop. Not surprisingly, this wasn't to long before Livonia decided to get out of the Smart system. It worked in the suburbs, so why wouldn't the city try to follow something that works?

Gentrification is bad because it just moves people around instead of actually doing anything about the issues. I really am just trying to figure out this decision by the city council. They seem to be overlooking how important small slums and low income apartments are to a city. If they are well policed, have a nice appearance, and have abundant resources (charities), they can be an entry platform for future middle class and tax paying citizens.

Oh, forget it, it was my cat. My cat walked across the keyboard, spilled my coffee and I had to mop the keyboard. Sorry, my mistake.

Anyway, after thinking about it more, it might be much more likely that they, for some reason, thought that these charities just didn't get the city. And obviously hope to either increase the number of residents, or increase the number of Detroit only organizations.

The real question is will the mentioned non-profits continue to operate in the city without this grant? If so, could this increase the number area charities?

(Message edited by Sean_Of_Detroit on March 12, 2008)

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to kick Barbara Rose Collins in the shin!

"Block grant money was given to the community to benefit the community," Collins said. "I don't think community block grants were created to provide jobs and salaries for people who live in the suburbs. They were created to benefit people who live in Detroit."

The City Council resolution requiring 51% residency was for boards members, not employees. Duh-- how is she figuring that people who sit on boards of Detroit-based non-profits get PAID? It's a fricking volunteer position, ya dummy.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 392
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys, I live in Detroit and I'm white and I'd like to volunteer to be on every one of those boards. Only as a front, of course; I wouldn't have a clue what I'd be doing. I can recruit some of my whitey neighbors to bring 'em up to that 51% if ya want.
I'm sure Barbara-Rose would be ever so pleased to see us.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5573
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the next in my "Questionable Leadership of Detroit" art series:

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5264
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We aint wantin no honkey money up in here!

Evelyn

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(giggling) love it, Johnlodge!

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 518
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diehard,, I like your idea, I would be more than happy to sit on a board in Detroit,,I live here,, lets stack the numbers like clowncil wants..If they want to play a game . lets do it.. I know Penny Bailor was on WDET today discussing this situation with her charity..,, she is a neighbor, we should contact her and see if we can get this thing rolling,,Put all of us on 5 or 6 boards and we can shut clowncil up..Let the charities get back to the purpose they have intended, they dont have time to waste on such non sense. I know of several other friends/neighbors who would help with this,, any one else??? BTW Martha Reeves lives in my building, Im sure she would be very pleased( shocked) to see that we Detroiters want to be involved more...exactly the choir she wants to see

(Message edited by DetroitBill on March 12, 2008)

(Message edited by DetroitBill on March 12, 2008)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 900
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean_of_Detroit, I afraid this thread is not about the relative merits of pan handling and its impact on gentrification. So, I will not comment on your theories, other than to say, welcome to the forum and thank you for your response.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 269
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alan55, Yeah the Warren City council has many a mud throwing, no holds barred smackdowns. We loved it so much, my neighbors voted in Mr. Happy for mayor.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

get-a-brain-morans.jpg

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5627
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL^

Does anyone know who that guy is in that picture? I know a guy that looks just like that. He looks better at the city council meeting :-)

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo, you from St. Louis?;
http://shii.org/knows/Get_A_Br ain_Morans

Mozeewink
Username: Mozeewink

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080316/COL01/8 03160589/1001/NEWS

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 430
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's an impressive list of charities. I think the best way to overturn the Clownsil's decision and make Barbara Rose Collins look like the fool that she is would be for all of those charities to get together and stage a good, old-fashioned peaceful demonstration in front of the CAY building. Imagine the scene-- everyone marching together, black and white and Latino, from the city and from the burbs, the folks who work for the charities and the folks who are/were their clients.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5687
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, they still have no damned sense, but they are postponing it for a year. BARBARA ROSE COLLINS apparently feels those "slave-masters" who help Detroit's needy will need some more time to hit 8 mile.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080318/NEW S01/80318033/1001/rss01

quote:

The Detroit City Council has unanimously voted to rescind a controversial new requirement that charities' boards have a majority of their membership comprised of Detroit residents in order to qualify for federal grant money distributed by the city.

The resolution will waive the requirement for only this year.

Nonprofit groups have been up in arms since last week, when the council informed 105 of them that they were disqualified from community development block grant and neighborhood opportunity fund monies.

Councilwoman Barbara-Rose Collins, who had defended the requirement, said the charities should be given more time to adjust to it.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11842
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NOW? For the entire next year, EVERY non-profit that works with the city and crosses paths with ANY council member needs to exercise their right to an opinion and make CERTAIN these council idiots know where they can stick this rule.

NOT a single non-profit should change their status or board membership because of this ruling...but should be at every meeting filing complaints continually until they rescind it completely!

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

NOT a single non-profit should change their status or board membership because of this ruling...but should be at every meeting filing complaints continually until they rescind it completely!

OR they can vote them out of office for more competent city council members. Oh wait, they'd have to be RESIDENTS in order to do that. So I guess huffing and puffing is about all that will happen.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11844
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EVERY non-profit can also make the point throughout the year to everyone within the city they help out...that they need voting and complaint support in order to continue coming into the neighborhoods to serve.

Huff and puff and blow that house of clowns down...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5688
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plenty of board members and other volunteers/workers at these charities DO live in Detroit. This is obscene, and shows once again that Ken Cockrel is the only one with his head screwed on straight.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3701
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The hearing is tomorrow:

quote:

Nonprofits ruled ineligible for CDBG funds this year because of the residency requirement will get a chance to plead their case to the council, which will hold an appeals hearing from 1 to 4 p.m. March 19 in the auditorium on the 13th floor of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chad Audi of Detroit Rescue Mission (one of the MANY area charities I support) said that he's already gotten calls from donors in the Pointes asking to be removed from their contact lists. Hubby was pushing for me to do the same but I can't punish disadvantaged people because of the words/actions of idiot politicians. I like Gannon's idea of the charities encouraging those they help to get out and vote next election and "Send OUT the Clowns".

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 236
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe it. They did something that makes sense. Apparently they decided they arent worried about the slave master mentality anymore.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2008 0320/EMAIL01/383456585/1039

www.DetroitArmy.com

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5742
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's basically the same story as above. It is only on hold for the year, the issue will come up again next year if changes aren't made.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.