Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Private Clubs « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bdglsmn
Username: Bdglsmn

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A group of friends and myself are thinking about starting a private, not for profit social club and I was wondering if anyone knew of where I could find info on what the law is in regards to that type of establishment.

This place would be just a location for like-minded people to get together and talk over current events. I would like to be able to serve beer and wine (or maybe people could bring their own) but I don't want to go through the hassle of a liquor license if I can avoid it. The place would not be open to the public and nothing would be for sale so I don't see the need for a license but maybe I'm wrong.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's called a frat.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 325
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

R 436.1127
Club license; requirements.

Rule 27. (1) An applicant for a club license shall file with the
commission all of the following:
(a) A certified copy of the resolution requesting a license adopted at a
bona fide club meeting.
(b) A copy of the constitution, charter, and bylaws of the club.
(c) An affidavit certifying that there are no racial disqualifications
for membership or guest privileges contained in the charter, constitution,
franchise, bylaws, membership application, or related documents under
which the club operates.
(2) An applicant for a club license shall have its minutes recorded in
English and available for inspection.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a private club.

We have plenty of discussion and beer.

No license required.

Bdglsmn
Username: Bdglsmn

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to sound dumb Club_boss but who is the commission and where do I find them?

Thanks

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 725
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought they were called Blind Pigs.

Club_boss

Post Number: 334
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MLCC (Michigan Liquor Control Commission)

Front Page
http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0 ,1607,7-154-10570---,00.html
On the left side highlighted in green is where you want to begin looking.

I would suggest simply calling your local enforcement (the MLCC guys with the badges) office (works directly with State as well as local Police) to get a quick answer...

Enforcement - Farmington Office
State of Michigan
Liquor Control Commission
Enforcement Division
24155 Drake Rd.
Farmington, MI 48335
PH. (248) 888-8710

Irishmafia..Do you charge for the drinks @ your club?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7301
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Couldn't you just get together with one another, have a few brews, chew the fat, and not get a license to do so?

Seeing as how it would be held on private property and nothing's for sale, I don't see the need for licensing. Isn't it akin to having a few buddies over to watch the football game on a weekend?

Club_boss

Post Number: 335
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“Couldn't you just get together with one another, have a few brews, chew the fat, and not get a license to do so”

Good question

Having friends over at your home and having a few beers is one thing.

Meeting or gathering together and charging members (the key word is charging) for their drinks is another matter.

There are however hundreds of Blind Pigs in Detroit.

If the original poster has a private club that only has a few members, I might just take my chances.

However if this “club” has many members and they bring their friends and the entire area is hopping, and there is no parking, and neighbors start complaining (which is usually how this goes) about the noise and people urinating on their lawns, well then a license would be as smart move.

Michigan is a control state, one of only 18. Welcome to the draconian age.
http://www2.potsdam.edu/hanson dj/Controversies/1127524611.ht ml

Club license allows for the selling of beer; wine, mixed spirit drink, and spirits.
$300.00 for clubs having 150 or fewer duly accredited members and $1.00 for each additional member.

A Club license enables a private club to sell beer, wine, liquor, and mixed spirit drinks to bona fide members only. MCL 436.1537(c)

http://www.michigan.gov/docume nts/cis/locgovguide_184872_7.p df

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7303
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great info, Club_boss!

Again I learn something new here.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.