Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Mobile police units, eh? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Brightpavilions
Username: Brightpavilions

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus christ. Apparently Kwame wants to create "mobile police stations" to help solve the crime problems in Detroit. From the Freep:

"The mobile stations will be customized recreational vehicles deployed in each of the six districts with officers and office workstations."

So basically crappy RV's parked in empty lots? Have you ever been in an ACTUAL DPD station? I unfortunately have a number of times. They're lucky to have a computer or chair made pre-1970, let alone a dedicated desk. So I'm sure these will be pimped out with all the latest gear!

Whew... cops are going to be scrambling for those gigs. And new recruits? The phone's will be ringing off the hook! "I risk my life, get paid shite and work out of a semi trailer!"

Another zinger from the top.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 872
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ummm, these are common around the nation and have been very useful in fighting crime.

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring back the Guardian Angels

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4777
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excerpts from Kilpatrick's prepared speech
quote:

One of the continuing concerns of all of our citizens is police presence in our neighborhoods. Research has shown that one of the most effective deterrents against crime is police visability…Therefore, in the coming year the Chief will institute six Mobile Police Stations to be deployed in each one of our Police Districts. They will be accessible to citizens who can visit, make police reports, make accident reports and obtain information about police, community programs and other initiatives. They also will serve as a hub for officers walking the beat in the various neighborhoods. We’ll be able to move them to areas we identify as hot spots or to areas where a block club or neighborhood association has been asking for a heightened police presence.

Popcanman55
Username: Popcanman55

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did it go from 500 police officers 2 months ago to now only hiring 300 officers???? We need at least 1000 officers not hundreds.

Brightpavilions

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure they have been helpful in other cities, where their PD's are running at full strength. When your static police stations are so completely run down and under-equipped what's to believe makeshift "pods" are going to make much of a difference?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11791
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who's to bet these makeshift pods are funded in some way by Homeland Security?! I'm betting he's playing all the cards he had been ignoring previously.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that those 175 traffic cars with all that there technology had some federal fundage as well!

They're just waiting to get a few more cameras strung from light poles, too.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 615
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The makeshift stations, if the district HQs are so run down, might actually be better...

And smart play... good thinkin' Gannon. Makes perfect sense on the federal dollar tip.

Brightpavillions - you don't like these mobile stations. That's obvious. Why don't you like them? Are you making an educated opinion based on seeing these types of units?

I have gotten tours in other cities of their units, and let me tell you, "RV" is simplifying it for the masses because they seem pretty cool and have lots of new hardware (and I know what new computer hardware looks like).

The ones I saw had quick stations to process items and the cops could head back out. Anyway, cops should be out on the streets, not spending the majority of their time at their desk.

This is one area where I think the mayor is spot on - there is research to back up their efficacy.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1570
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do I keep visioning the movie 'Stripes?'

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 327
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's obvious the city is having problems hiring officers so to again state a goal of 500 would sound unrealistic. Instead he announced adding 300 combined with more administrative positions to get more officers on the street. Sounds more realistic. If only it wasn't such an a-hole announcing it.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carlita wants to go on a motor home trip.

Kwame just found a way to stick the city with the bill

Brightpavilions

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yah I got heated last night. I'm just so overly frustrated with the city and this Mayor that I can hit a tangent.

DV: I don't have hard facts about mobile units. Maybe they'll help, and it'd be great if they do!

I just know the permanent facilities are so dilapidated, the equipment is so out of date that a lot of the day to day is still done on paper. Which ends up in incorrect or lost data. And because of this officers are frustrated that they can't do their job. Why not remedy your core precincts before trying to implement temporary fixes?

Strong communities can build around churches and commerce and safety (i.e. Police.) And in the short term it could make some positive impact. But once there's results and they move that "pod" to a new location, who's to say old ways won't start again?

I guess that's where it really starts huh? Education. But I digress... A whole other topic!

I don't have the answers, just ideas like everyone else. Sorry if I appeared standoffish. At least we're talking.

Detroitmaybe
Username: Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ella Bully-Cummings said that these "Mobile Units" are not even in the current budget, and have not even been approved by City Council.

I am starting to really believe that KK is simply pathological. Last night he mentioned so many programs, initiatives, and projects as if they are actually confirmed when most are simply proposals, and must be developed, planned, and approved.

I'm starting to get scared... I'm glad Cockrel is mad now...maybe he will lead us "Lynchmobbers"..lol!

(Message edited by detroitmaybe on March 12, 2008)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11799
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heya Bright,

Great recovery, but I don't think you needed to elaborate...but damn glad you put words around the real solution...getting everyone in community, policing together. Pods or none, get the men and women in blue on our 'front lines' what they need to do their jobs every day...especially whatever the community can do to help broaden and soften and eliminate those lines.

Welcome.

Cheers.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4610
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the original mobile police station, the Big 4 or simply the the Fo'? Police, prosecutor, judge and executioner all in one car. :-)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4496
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What ever happened to rent-a-cop? Does anyone know if Kilpatrick's idea to allow block associations and businesses to hire a beat cop for their neighborhood has been put into place?

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.usatoday.com/news/w orld/2006-06-14-death-van_x.ht m

All we need now is Kervorkian in Congress.

Solent Green, here we come.

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big STRESS again!

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 605
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always felt that you can tell a city who seriously puts crime fighting first by the looks of their police stations.

if they invest money into working smarter and not harder, they have crime under control.

Seems to me like we keep investing money to work harder.

Why mobile stations when we could have kept all the other stations open, fixed them up and re-opened some mini-stations? How much are we going to spend INSURING these units just to be driven?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2859
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City self-insures their vehicles, Mrsjdaniels. Won't cost them anything until one of them runs into a bus or something.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.