Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » [City's residency rule could cost millions for charities]...Just to Spite your Face » Archive through March 11, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 890
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In an example of the height of genius, the council passed awhile ago, a regulation that any non-profit group that recieves public funding must require that 51% of it Board Members be residents of Detroit. If your Non-profit Board of Directors isn't comprised of at least 51% Detroiters, you will not be allowed to do good works with in the city.

Part of the "look like us" clique on Clowncil.

Well, looks like Detroit Rescue Mission is going to pull up roots and leave along with 105 other charities that help folks. Those evil suburbanites will no longer have their damn green-ass money in our city! Good God! Get you gone you damn doo-doo gooders. We don't need you, we don't want you, and don't let door hit ya ...

Other "outsiders":
Boy and Girl Scouts
Boysville of Michigan, Inc./Holy Cross Children's Services
Children's Hospital of Michigan - Pediatric Mobile
YMCA YWCA
Michigan Veterans Foundation
New Hope Community Development Non-Profit Housing Corporation
Covenant House of Michigan
Gray & Gray - Detroit Theatre for the Dramatic Arts
Society of St. Vincent DePaul
Children of the King
Alzheimers Association
Coalition on Temporary Shelter (COTS)
Jewish Vocational Service
DRMM - Detroit Rescue Mission

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080311/NEW S01/803110370

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 558
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is a damn shame...

just another reason why we DESERVE new leadership...

I guess I shouldn't how up to work tomorrow since I live in the suburbs but service the city

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 194
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You DESERVE what you vote for

I have no pity

Goldensunshine
Username: Goldensunshine

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This makes me sad - people need to get a fucking clue (and I am not a regular profanity user).
I am pissed all the way on the other side of the country.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Councilwoman Barbara-Rose Collins said she sees no reason to defend the council's decision, and called the notion that outsiders can better dictate how money is used within the city paternalistic and a "slave-master mentality."

This woman was a complete train wreck as a congresswoman, yet gets elected to city council, and has been re-elected..what, twice?

Detroit deserves the leaders it elects. These are the leaders that get elected and re-elected time and time again. Obviously it is this kind of leader Detroit overwhelmingly wants. Why bother complaining about it.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The leadership vacuum continues.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 286
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is all very disheartening. We desperately need a change within the leadership of this city.
I have one question though; Do we ever have a choice to elect people of different demeanor?

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously this all comes back to a slave master mentality...obviously. I mean charity organizations which are working extremely hard to help the residents of the city are obviously acting like slave masters...obviously.

www.DetroitArmy.com

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 561
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't live in Detroit proper, Drankin...do I DESERVE bad?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5541
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought we were moving past this... This will achieve nothing positive whatsoever, but bring great loss to the community.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 376
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's about damn time. Finally, now those arrogant non-profits will stop thinking of only themselves for a change! Detroit doesn't need to be a SLAVE to their money anymore! They need to realize that in Metro Detroit, it's all about the City/suburbs divide.

On a serious note, my jaw is dropping in disbelief. WTF? Gleaners Food Bank? Focus Hope? The Greening of Detroit? The historically significant Detroit Urban League? The biggest loser in all of this: Detroit residents who need (not just 'use') these services. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot, Council.

Shame on those who voted for this POS.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 760
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HOw many people in Detroit actually vote in these "leadership" type elections? I'm guess very few.

Who is going to fire the first shot of the revolution?

How f-ing sad for the city!

Cdwaters
Username: Cdwaters

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the notion that outsiders can better dictate how money is used within the city (is)paternalistic and a "slave-master mentality"

and this from a council woman who blindly approved the mayor's payout to the 3 cops. Sorry, lady but anybody -an insider or outsider- would know better than her how best to spend city money

Rel

Post Number: 378
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I worked for WSU's College of Urban, Labor and Metropolitan Affairs, I researched these CDBG's and their effect on the City. I'm doubly-insulted because these are *my* federal tax dollars. The City is throwing their weight around and discriminating with money that isn't even theirs.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3997
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never mind that by forcing many of these organizations to move out of the city, it will become more expensive to service the clientele who need these services.

Good work, morans!

Miketeevee
Username: Miketeevee

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um.. hey Danindc.. it's spelled M-O-R-O-N-S.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, who has the official DYes moran graphic?

Drankin21

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. J.

No, you don't DESERVE bad, you DESERVE nothing if you do not live in the city. Neither do I.

I'm as p'd off about all of this as anyone but until the people voting these idiots in time after time get their collective heads out of their asses, nothing will change.

What can we do as suburbanite non-Detroit-taxpayers do but watch this train wreck continue? Stop going into the city? I won't, but some people may, and millions have.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, why are you MORONS arguing over MORANS (Danindc, Miketeevee and Gazhewke)?

(Message edited by detroitrise on March 11, 2008)

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://lonewacko.com/images/ge t-a-brain-morans.jpg

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All you slavemasters in here should really mind your own business. Your attitudes show why Lowell should institute a rule limiting the numbers of posts per day for people who aren't "real" Detroiters. Council's regulation on this 51% residency issue has shown true leadership.

Next week council is taking up another regulation that ensures that city resources are only expended to benefit people who live in the city. This new regulation will require that owners of entertainment and sports venues in the city will have to certify that at least 51% of customers or ticket buyers at an event are Detroit residents before the the DPD will provide any kind of crowd control or security. Detroiters shouldn't have to pay to protect people who don't live in the city.

Drankin21

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline,

Maybe you missed it, but there is also a council resolution soon to be passed stating that 51% of all cars passing through the city on 75 must have at least one Detroiter in the vehicle. They are proposing a sign downriver that tells the slavemasters using NB 75 to get off on 275 and head up through the westside and across on 696. Monitoring will be done via roadblock at the 375/75 interchange. Fine proceeds will be used for the construction of the African Village.

Rel

Post Number: 384
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline/Drankin, LOL.

Maybe those who work in the City but don't live there shouldn't pay Detroit taxes. After all, the City doesn't need their money. And those people are just a burden on the City's services. So maybe the City would be better off if they all just left!

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3998
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Maybe those who work in the City but don't live there shouldn't pay Detroit taxes. After all, the City doesn't need their money. And those people are just a burden on the City's services. So maybe the City would be better off if they all just left!

Shhh! Before you know it, the Council will be seriously considering this, too!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5542
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GM's workforce is not 51% Detroiters. Therefore, their HQ should be kicked out of the city. Also, Dan Gilbert has another think coming if he thinks he's going to open an HQ here, and have his employees commuting in. Detroit doesn't need that kind of development, he can stay in Livonia.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Detroiters shouldn't have to pay to protect people who don't live in the city."

This is just the kind of mentality thats going to rebuild that city (sarc) Put a fork in it folks.

Rel

Post Number: 386
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's all sarcasm, Sstashmoo :-) (nice handle, btw)

Drankin21

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read between the lines Crystal

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Changing the requirement now, he said, is problematic because HUD disapproves of changing rules in the middle of the application process."

I wonder if Detroit could get a special waiver because of the large number of dolts on the city council. It would be kind of like not holding a mentally retarded person responsible for a contract they signed because they didn't know any better.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry about that, Swingline. I apologize for my comment! I did not realize it was sarcasm. Sometimes I am not the sharpest bulb in the drawer.

(Message edited by crystal on March 11, 2008)