Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Outdoor Game in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had read in the free press that the Red Wing and the Rangers might play a game at Yankee Stadium for the final event. What would be a good place here in Detroit or outside to have a game?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4497
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comerica Park or Michigan Stadium, but damn it is hard to follow a puck in those places or any football/baseball stadium for that matter.

Ford Field will host hockey, next year, I believe.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 328
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This event was unique when the Mich/State and Edmonton/Montreal games took place. Now it's just a cash cow being milked to death.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 390
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford Field is hosting the NCAA Frozen Four.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiger Stadium would have been a great place

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not really 401 if they do something like this once a year it makes people wait all year to watch it again as long as you get the big market teams playing like Detroit, Boston, or Philadelphia. I would like to see it in CoPa it would be sweet.

Lansingfire
Username: Lansingfire

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most people around the Wings boards would love a double header at the big house. MSU vs UoM and Wings vs Leafs. Hard part would be who gets the tickets? 4 sets of hockey season ticket holders?? Not to mention the football people would want to go.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 596
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One issue with using the Big House for winter events (as I believe has been mentioned in earlier threads on this topic) is the uncertain availability of the golf course parking.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't they doing pretty major construction during the non-football season that would make it unavailable for something like this for the next couple of years? I thought that construction was the reason they were originally not going to hold graduation there.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4501
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct, two years of construction are ahead.

ZP, if the golf course is frozen, I think the parking could occur there with less damage than in the fall.

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great game that will be in NY. How about the Wings and Maple Leafs in Comerica!

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When was the last time the Wings played an outdoor game? Could it have be the Feb/1954 game against the prisoners at Marquette. It was the Pros vs Cons game. My all time favorite hockey quote is from Jack Adams, "If you can't beat em in the alley, you can't beat em on the ice." Still true in todays game as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.100megsfree2.com/jj scherr/jacques/ejacqueshockey. htm

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 329
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the shallow grade at Comerica half of the lower deck would have no sightlines (the first 20 rows were not used in Buffalo) and the upper deck is a long way back. I don't see the logic unless you just wanna drink cold beer in a cold seat.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think its more about being a part of it than actually seeing the game for most people. As for cold seats, I remember going to Lion's games as a kid at Tiger Stadium. One time it was so cold my dad even let me have a swig of whiskey from the flask, and I was only 9 or 10!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going as a youngster to a cold and snowy Tiger Stadium for a Lions game. By the third quarter, there were small fires going in the stands, set by drunken fans trying to keep warm!

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

401don, actually in modern era an outdoor exhibition 'tween the L.A. Kings & NY Rangers in Las Vegas( in '91 predates them all;

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/f ullpage.html?res=9D0CE3DD133AF 93AA1575AC0A967958260

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 270
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This event was unique when the Mich/State and Edmonton/Montreal games took place. Now it's just a cash cow being milked to death.

Milked to death? It's been done once since these events.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.