Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » B-Horror returns to local Detroit TV « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5591
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080313/E NT10/803130366

quote:

Wolfman Mac's Nightmare Sinema" premieres on TV 20 Friday night at 1 a.m. (technically Saturday morning), with a furry, wisecracking host presenting the best of the worst black-and-white horror movies, as well as demented skits. It's a return to the kind of local programming that used to be a staple of the TV dial in the early days of the medium in the 1950s and into the '60s, but was largely dumped by local stations for syndicated fare in the '80s.
Detroiters older than 40 who grew up with Morgus, Sir Graves Ghastly and The Ghoul will understand Wolfman Mac, while younger viewers who have seen the Johnny Depp movie "Ed Wood," about the eccentric horror movie director, have a good head start.

This looks promising!

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Way Cool!, Just wish I could stay awake that long anymore.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3665
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TV party at JL's house.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5592
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've got nothing better to do,
than watch T.V. and have a couple of brews.

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's Incredible! Hill Street Blues!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4787
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.nightmaresinema.com /

YouTube videos

Nightmare Sinema Myspace

(Message edited by Jimaz on March 13, 2008)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5594
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeffersons! Vegas!

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Lodge,

Haven't heard that Black Flag song in a long time. Saw them at the Greystone Hall on Michigan Ave back in the day.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 321
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

downriviera....I believe I was at that show with you...the Meat Puppets warmed up.

Pam

Post Number: 3668
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I believe I was at that show with you...

So was I.

Mclark
Username: Mclark

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are making me jealous. Then again I'm too young to have been around for that.

Mclark

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a videotape bootleg of the Misfits at a bar or something in Dearborn. Were any of you at that show?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5598
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I have that bootleg. Did you buy it at Off The Record in Royal Oak, before they got busted for selling bootlegs? Remember, the pink and blue xerox paper lables?

Mclark

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I actually bought it at Rock of Ages (gag) in Garden City. I do remember Off the Record though. I think I bought a Fugazi bootleg there once.

Downriviera

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spent most of that Black Flag show at the Greystone in the alley drinking beer, I remember it was really hot inside. Looking forward to the Wolfman Mac show, watch for Creepy Clyde on there, he's really good.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still have about 30 or so of those pink, orange, and blue bootleg VHS videos, from Off The Record in the mid-90s...but I also mail ordered some of them from the actual distributor, M.G.R Records in Villasanta, Italy, and they occasionally sent a catalog to me containing a huge list of bootleg CDs with the videos.

Also owned a rare commercially produced VHS video, of four or so songs by Black Flag, including the TV party song, but I auctioned it off on eBay last year for a pretty good profit.

Mclark

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So since you guys were actually around to see that era, where was the Freezer Theater? I hear about it from time to time (the liner notes from the Negative Approach discog, etc). I'm only 28 so I didn't start going to shows until 1994.

Pam

Post Number: 3670
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

where was the Freezer Theater?

http://www.motorcityrock.com/v enues/freezer_theater/freezer_ theater.html

Mclark

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool. Thanks Pam! Man, those lineups look nice.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 453
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would this be Mike E. Clark?

Jimaz

Post Number: 4791
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to http://www.tv20detroit.com/, Nightmare Sinema is supposed to run from 1:00 AM to 2:30 AM Saturday mornings. I'm going to try to videotape it.

Elvira and Mystery Science Theater 3000 deserve mention for preserving the genre too.

This should be fun.

Jimaz

Post Number: 4792
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Casket Bastards

Mclark

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyinabag, no, sorry lol...
Too many Mike Clarks around. There are 2 more at my work alone. Also a Detroit house DJ (Agent X) and the guy from Drew and Mike.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5607
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to try to stay up for it tonight, but I'll have the recorder ready just in case.

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JohnLodge,

This is great, thanks for the heads up! I used to love watching Sir Graves, Creature Feature, & The Ghoul. I'll definately DVR it tonight & let my kids ck it out too! Man, I would love to work on that show, sounds FUN! Nyyyyaaaahhhh!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5609
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like most of his crew are volunteers for the time being. Who knows, you probably can work on it. :-)

Applesauce

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I read that in the article. I think I'll email him & volunteer my services. I've got a small post production video biz I run out of my home, so I've got a little experience. I checked out the website & looks good, & he's def got good peeps working on the show. Should be a gas!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5611
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downriviera

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard there's a remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still in the works starring Keanuu Reeves. The original is my all time favorite sci fi flick, I hope they don't mess it up too much.

Applesauce

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would like to see the old Abbott/Costello movies too!

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 656
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I added them to my myspace friends. I miss mystery science theater. They need to bring that show back.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5641
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not going to be around again tonight to remind you all, watch or record Wolfman Mac tonight at 1a.m. on Channel 20! Support the return of local television programming!

Jimaz

Post Number: 4802
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump

Reminder: it's scheduled to start in about an hour.

Also, it might be a good time to dig up those old red and blue 3-D spectacles in case they ever show a classic 3-D film like The Mask. "Put the mask on, NOW!"

Jimaz

Post Number: 4803
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Posted at 12:45:

Nightmare Sinema is scheduled to start in 15 minutes on MY20 (Comcast channel 3).

Wolfman Jack deserves a parenthetical plug too.

Jimaz

Post Number: 4804
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's on!

Boo
Username: Boo

Post Number: 193
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and it rocks. what a surprise- i had no idea.

Jimaz

Post Number: 4805
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The audio's screwed up. Crank it to the max to hear it.

That shows it's a realistic reproduction -- including all the warts.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 183
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sound from the movie is nearly muted.

hmm...

But hopefully Wolfman Mac's schtik will catch on, become very popular, with more than just the sentimental Detroit area boomers and his show will draw more local advertising.

Applesauce

Post Number: 147
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The show was exactly what I hoped it would be. My 8 year old son & I watched it & laughed out loud several times.

The audio def sucked. By watching the behind the scenes clips on the Det News site, it looks as if they're using a Canon GL2 camera & might be using the onboard mic only. The video seemed to resize itself at times (not 720x480 which is standard def) during the Wolfman & Boney Bob scenes & "Ghoul" like cut-ins & commercials (which were great). The movie itself seemed fine. I know their operating on a shoestring budget, but some decent pro mics should do it a world of good. I could have done without the website & "sinema" ads
all over the screen.

All in all I thought it was a fun show complete with "toilet" humor that's sure to bring out the 8 year old in all of us & I'm sure the quality will get better week to week. I set up the DVR to record it each week! Nice find Jlodge!

(Message edited by Applesauce on March 17, 2008)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5652
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure they'll iron out (some of) the flaws. It was great to see that kind of local programming back on television.

Applesauce

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, if they can correct the audio & get the vid to size correctly it will be all good! It may take a while but, I like the spirit (no pun) of the show & hope it continues for a long time. Btw, I'm wondering if they'll do a "Kid Gallery"?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.