Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » What are You Doing to Change and Reclaim The City Of Detroit? « Previous Next »
Archive through March 13, 2008Meaghansdad30 03-13-08  5:06 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 264
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first thing that came to my mind after reading the original post, was this. The Discuss Detroit Forum is the only venue that I am aware of that is doing something constructive to get people to think about finding helpful answers.
I can do very little, physically.
I am expecting that big bonus check from the IRS. I had already decided to increase the donations I have made to various charities. The DAV, Boys/Girls Town and needy family members among others.
I do not regard my contributions to this web site as a "donation to a charity." I regard them as an investment to the future of Detroit and my
motivations are many and varied.
I will not last much longer but my grandchildren and great-grandchildren might last as long as 80 or 90 years.
To make this web site financially viable, well into the future, is in part, my responsibility.
Hopefully it will attract many more members who would care as much as we all do.
Lowell: The check will be in the mail, soon.

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of all I will be sure to vote. Second pick up trash, though it's a never ending battle when people constantly throw their trash out the window of thier car any where they are at disrespecting this city. People constantly throw their fast food trash out of the window of their car, just keep it in your car until you get home.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I shop at the eastern market, and I will be shopping at the zarocos(?) market that is opening soon on woodward. I own a home on the eastside and live downtown. I used to own an american made car, but got rid of it cause I live close to work, so i support the people mover more often anticipating what it could grow to become. I pay taxes and enjoy what detroit has to offer.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good post Tponetom!

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 455
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buying property?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2860
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having transplanted my butt 2,000 miles away, I'm not really qualified to comment about the state of the City. So I refuse to get into nif-naws about it on the forums. I'll love to remember the days gone by and comment on them, but I won't contribute to negative threads. I will read them, though, just to acquaint myself with the current problems of Detroit.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have this thing I do. When I go downtown on the weekend, I bring a tall kitchen garbage bag. Then, on the way back to the car from wherever we are, we pick up trash and try fill up the bag!

It's actually kind of fun. My boys love it, my wife thinks I'm crazy. It's amazing how fast you can fill that bag up. Less than half a block sometimes.

I do get a little nervous that my kids will cut themselves on a needle or something, so I don't like them to pick stuff up until I look at it.

I thought about printing up bags that said "I give a damn" or something and tyring to encourage other people to do it.

Cooper
Username: Cooper

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I volunteer with a few non-profits, tutor high school students in Brightmoor, lead a university student group that discusses urban issues and volunteers in the city, and began a blog to bring more attention to the efforts to revitalize the city (and, quite frankly, the region): http://thinkdetroit.blogspot.c om

And Andy Linn: I, too, hail from the RC (You're in the newsletter this issue)

Detroitmaybe
Username: Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray

"I have this thing I do. When I go downtown on the weekend, I bring a tall kitchen garbage bag. Then, on the way back to the car from wherever we are, we pick up trash and try fill up the bag!

I thought about printing up bags that said "I give a damn" or something and tyring to encourage other people to do it."

GREAT IDEA!!

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 173
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like Ray1936, I moved. (Well, except for a storage locker full of stuff- located in Detroit!)
But when I meet people who've heard nothing but bad about Detroit, I tell them why I love my hometown. It's not much, I know- but I hope by sharing the things I like about the city, I can change at least a few people's perceptions.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 862
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya know...I so don't want to relate to the nostalgic old guys or gals but I will be damned for my shortsightedness. Tponetom struck a chord. If only all those who have a past with this town would commit to that. A small investment in the future of your birthplace. Simply brilliant. I forgive all nostalgia in exchange.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 158
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it fascinating that while you all are busy being high on the idea of picking up Detroit's litter on the way to and from the car and waxing poetic about Detroit's ills, the opposite (and far more realistic) conversation about Detroit realities is going on RIGHT NOW over on the thread titled "OP ED: WHY I"M LEAVING DETROIT"

Check it out.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 720
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The City of Detroit has a number of major problems that need to be resolved simultaneously, along with other more minor issues that also need to be resolved simultaneously.

In order to resolve these problems and these issues, most of us can certainly do small simple things within our control; such as supporting local neighborhood businesses, such as casting your vote during elections, such as maintaining the curb appeal of your property and the streetscape, etc.

On top of that, in order to really make an impact with enough punch, we should also participate in action-oriented organizations such as your neighborhood block watch to combat crime, such as TRU to support rapid transit initiatives, such as regular communication with your elected city representatives to keep them informed of your concerns, such as regular communication with the media outlets in order for them to get the word out to a large number of people in a very short amount of time, etc.

I do all of the above, and will continue to press full-court, because I believe that the bleak economic climate has actually given many, many people in the region an urgent call to action - more and more people each day are looking beyond race, beyond urban/suburban territories, beyond all the stupid stuff that have plagued their parents' and grandparents' era. It is time to be serious about positive change because our immediate future depends on what we do right now.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm rehabilitating a corktown house
http://redemptionincorktown.bl ogspot.com

and I've worked with Habtat for Humanity Detroit for 6 years having a hand in over 150 houses.
www.habitatdetroit.org

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Teach for Detroit Public Schools

Live in a Detroit Neighborhood....pay taxes etc..

Keep up an abandon property accross the street.

Attend Wayne State.

Go to Tigers games.

Shop at Eastern Market

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2080
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Installed battery-powered security devices in over 20 vacant homes in my historic neighborhood to maintain its stability through the current foreclosures crisis.

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moved to Oakland, California in hopes of gaining more experience with nonprofits out here that are successful with urban issues. Hopefully I will be obtaining a Masters in City Planning from UC Berkeley or UCLA. Studying what is successful here and bringing it home. Hopefully by the time I return, Barbara Rose Collins will have passed away and Kwame will be in jail.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 162
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats not cool Luka (Spanking your hand)The Barbara Rose Collins part of course.

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The question is this:

Can we reach those people who throw fast food trash out of the car window?

Can we reach those people who vandalize and break into vacant houses?

Can we reach those people who weren't raised to respect other people and other people's property, and who employ violence to solve too many of their problems?

These are the people, along with the corrupt elected officials, that are driving others to the suburbs.

DOUGW, could you please explain more about installing those security devices?

Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Luck Luca! Please make sure you come back..we need all the help we can get!

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 760
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For my part I am a lifelong city resident who has lived all around the city and have volunteered and worked throughout the city. As some may remember I have done blogs on, Where are the Detroit Jobs? and my classified add reading Help college grad find a job making a difference in Detroit, I was having trouble figuring out if I would continue my journey here in the D. When all was said and done I decided to stay.
Since my first job at University Foods in 1998 I have always tried to help build a new capacity for customer service and change the way business was done within the city. After spending 5 of the last 10 years at University Foods where I helped them understand that the midtown community wants as many organics as possible. I also feel I set a new standard for customer service that was lacking when I was not there. I am now moving on to help promote, what I feel will be one of the catalysts to the revitalization of Woodward.
As the New Assistant Manager and Community Liason for Zaccaro's Market I will do whatever I can to make sure that Zaccaro's is a success in the D. I love my city and am glad to be one of the many of us that does there part to make Detroit the great city it is and help build a capacity for the future.

-Joe Rashid

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote from Histeric:
"Ya know...I so don't want to relate to the nostalgic old guys or gals but I will be damned for my shortsightedness. Tponetom struck a chord. If only all those who have a past with this town would commit to that. A small investment in the future of your birthplace. Simply brilliant. I forgive all nostalgia in exchange."

My reply:
Thank You for your "Forgiveness."
May the good Leprechauns smile on you and not steal your whiskey. (That is strong Irish voodoo.)
I believe you have 'made' the whole month for me. You understood my position.
You are also right when you say you cannot relate to my nostalgia. You were not there at the same time or living with the same circumstances.
The flip side is this. We can all 'accept,' as opposed to relate to, some one elses nostalgia.
I think I will post a new thread under Detroit Connections, named, "Nostalgia."

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3684
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As the New Assistant Manager and Community Liason for Zaccaro's Market

Congrats on your new job.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 289
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not spending a lot of time in the D lately since I have a newborn to attend to at home in Ferndusky, but I still do little things, like support businesses such as party stores or oil change garages on the Detroit side of 8 Mile on my way home from work. And we try to eat out in Detroit whenever we can, which isn't often now that I am the lone breadwinner in my family.

In the past, I have volunteered to plant trees with Greening of Detroit. And I once organized a cleanup of Harmonie Park and participated in another in Woodbridge, where I can honestly say the vacant lot where we took hours to clean up trash remains clean years later.

Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Joe Rashid!!

Zaccaros is definitely leading by example... WE REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 656
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm bringing back SMART to Livonia, so Detroit residents can have good public bus service to their jobs and for shopping.

The buses will be back next 2010 when the SMART property tax expires and I have industry support for this at this time.

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to come back to Detroit. They drink all these fufu drinks out here and don't really celebrate St.Patty's day. I miss my whiskey Detroit buddies and Milwaukee's best on tap at the Temple.

MasterBlaster brings up a good point. I remember walking in a park on the East side and watching a family leave all their garbage from White Castle on the bench. I started cleaning it up. One little girls from the family came back and helped me.

We have to teach my example. But even that is discouraging. During the cleanups in Cass Park, there were many wonderful homeless and unemployed who helped us. But there was also the other group that felt that they were entitled to being payed to clean up the garbage they leave behind in the park. One old man demanded that we gave him free DVDs for the volunteers even though he had not done anything. He was refused. They were fortunately the minority. They are so used to suburban and city churches coming down to give them food and clothes so they can spend their money on booze and crack. We have supported this handout culture. Unfortunately, I don't believe that human rights groups would support nonprofit that said, we will feed you, after you fill this garbage with trash. We will clothe you, after you help plant these flowers. Even someone with extreme mental illness can pick up garbage.

The really cool people that helped in the park were those unemployed and homeless who felt good about working. They felt proud to help build the fitness equipment/cleaning Cass Park and they appreciated being treated like men instead of handicapped. Unfortunately they take the rap for the bad minority. I wish I could have given them all jobs.

There is an idea called Green Collared jobs that I am researching out here. The premise is to create environmentally friendly jobs for an unskilled labor force.

I also think the segregation (economic and racial)in the city itself needs to be broken down. If you live in midtown, do you talk to or know any of the people that are homeless or poor living by Tomboy? If you live in Woodbridge, how often do you talk to a low income person or do you walk across the street when you see them coming.

To thread jack, if anyone sees Alabama (also known as Daddy, real name Gerald) and dishwasher at traffic jam or his girlfriend Pam, tell them Christina misses them. They don't have any minutes on their phone and I can't remember their apartment number. I was unable to say Goodbye before I left since I could not find them and I got really sick before I left.

Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lukabottle

There is an idea called Green Collared jobs that I am researching out here. The premise is to create environmentally friendly jobs for an unskilled labor force.

We could call it Green Corps, kind of like Job Corps but they group specializes in greening and beautifying the City. There are currently proposals to tackle the homeless that were developed by someone in their planning department. Someone could reach out to them to find out what the plan is???

We need to work together!! We see the issues...we need to find the solutions (PERIOD)

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family and I volunteer our time with the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 763
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Greening of Detroit already has coined the term green corps for their high school student program.

Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroithabitater

I LOVE the blog...ALSO ANOTHER GREAT IDEA!!

Habitat For Humanity is also a great organization and any able bodied person can volunteer.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 371
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Have tried making Video's on Youtube for the Positive Detroit..

Detroit Neighborhoods
Downtown
River walk
Midtown
New Center

Also make a trip every month to the city!

If you want to see the video's just enter

Calaiscreek into the search

or

on the thread "My promotional video for Detroit"

Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FRENCH777

I LOVE YOUR VIDEO!!

Can u help me do a video about the abandoned areas. I am so disappointed that so many areas in the city of Detroit are so neglected. It scares me that it has gotten this deplorable! I don't know how but, there has got to be a way everyone can help!! It actually disgusts me!

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 373
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the comment Detroitmaybe

I downloaded Windows Movie Maker for Free online and that helps a lot..

too bad we couldn't raise money on the forum to fix up a house or two?

Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sure we could!

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 276
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I visit as often as I can, advocate mass transit alternatives like the DTOGS plan, and talk up Detroit to those that do not know about all there is to see and do here. I also post pics on my flickr account for those who live far away can keep up with developments here.gab482

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrenite84,

Have you found any good spots down there at the Gateway Project for taking photos? I'm heading back over there tomorrow to get more pics for my web site .

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 277
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just uploaded several pics, and some panoramic pics of that area. The best shots are near LaGloria Bakery,(Where the pedestrian bridge will be), and any open overpass like Vernor or Clark Ave.. (don't get run over, they are crazy busy down there.)

Maybe flybydon will snap a few pics for you with his plane.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, I agree that this thread sounded a little egotistical at first, but I don't think that was really the point. We all have different opportunities that we come across during our lives. If you have the time to help out with charity, great. If you have the ambition to start a business here, awesome. If you maintain your home, even better. If your dream does not bring you to Detroit, and you still support the city, that is just as good as anything else. All that matters, is that you do what you can, if you do that, your doing as much as anyone else.

That being said, I don't think there is anything wrong with letting people know about the things you do, or ideas you have. You might end up giving someone else inspiration to do the same thing, or to come up with a new and better solution later on. You might network with other people doing the same things and have the same goals.

Every time I walk by an abandon building or a glass filled street, it really makes me wonder what the point of it is. What is wrong with me? Why am I joining a battle that some of these people have been fighting for almost fifty years? Why am I fighting for a city run by a mayor who has had more crazy parties during his term than a first year student at any of our universities? Why am I fighting for a city that can't even change a light bulb?

One of the reasons I love this city so much is not the historic buildings, or the nightlife and restaurants, and is definitely not the taxes, city services, or politicians. What keeps me here is that so many other people are so devoted. That those people are constantly being pushed down and getting dirt kicked in their face, yet they keep going. It's like the joke about Greenland being icy and Iceland being green. Detroit's abandon buildings, gritty look, and history hide the devotion in this city. Some suburbs and other cities may look nice, but that has (only in my opinion) often been a facade for people who don't care about their communities as much as many think.

Seeing a post topic like this is nice once in awhile. I mean, just the fact that this message board exists as it does reminds me that I'm not the only one doing the things I'm doing. It reminds me that there are people working to get those abandon buildings fixed and those streetlights turned on.

It's not easy, and it may even be a wasted effort. But at least we can say we tried, and we did our best. That's something we can all be sure of on our deathbeds, and something I really feel we owe to the next generations.

Maybe this belongs in the OP ED topic?

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrenite84,

Cool, thanks. I used to use the Vernor overpass, but now of course the side facing the main construction is gone, so no sidewalk to stand on. I also used to use the closed Lafayette bridge, but it's mostly gone now too.

Maybe I'll get a little daring, go later in the day and see if i can get down in "the hole" for a quick pic or two. :-)

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2087
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Masterblaster, here's what I wrote about them on another thread awhile back:

To help protect a vacant home from scrappers, if you have at least one good neighbor nearby, I recommend buying one or more of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ ct/B0000645RH
http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ ct/B000165F26

The Reporter brand ones are at the Radio Shack on Mack in GP. The cheaper ones are just as good, aside from being shorter-range, but we had to mail order them.

You can put the detector in the vacant house and the chime in your house, and you'll know if someone goes in there in the middle of the night, and you can call 911 and take other actions. We've done this in our neighborhood and had a few arrests.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.