Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit beers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously Strohs was the biggest beer to come from Detroit, but were there, or are there any other beers that originate in the city. (not talking about Michigan beers, just Detroit).

The Detroit Brewing company is mighty tasty.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 172
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motor City Brewery. Or is that the same thing...?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7870
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read Brewed In Detroit: Breweries & Beers Since 1830
By Peter H. Blum

quote:

Detroit has a rich and extensive brewing history, and Stroh archivist Peter H. Blum does an exquisite job of telling it. Simply put, Brewed In Detroit should serve as an example for all future brewing historians.

From the book's Dust Jacket --
Brewed In Detroit describes the history of the brewing industry in the Detroit metroploitan area (including Ann Arbor, Mt. Clemens, Pontiac, Windsor, Wyandotte, and Ypsilanti) from its beginning in the 1830s to the present revival by microbrewers and brewpubs.

A historian and trained veteran of the brewing industry, Peter H. Blum divides Detroit brewing history into seven distinct phases: the early Anglo-Saxon ale brewers, the German brewers who arrived after 1848, the rise of brewing dynasties in the 1880s, Prohibition, the return of beer in the era after repeal in 1933, the war years, and the post-war competition. Blum also includes detailed information on the way beer is produced -- the craft of brewing and the tradition of master brewers.

Brewed In Detroit tells the story of the Stroh Brewery Company, which was a family brewery in Detroit from 1850 to 1985 and became Detroit's largest brewery by the turn of the century. Blum then chronicles the stories of forty-three individual Detroit breweries in small groups of similar ethnic or economic units, describes breweries in the six surrounding cities, and tells of H.W. Rickel & Company, the preeminent local malt producer.

Each brewery's story is told in terms of the individuals and families who started the enterprise, and chronicles their fortunes and failures. There are about 180 photographs of brewers, buildings, wagons and trucks, equipment, and advertising to illustrate the various chapters. A special feature is sixteen color pages of brewery advertising, including rare lithographs from the Stroh archives, made possible through a gift from the Stroh Brewery Company.

The book concludes with a compilation of every brewery in Detroit of which there is a record, brand names of all beers and ales marketed in Detroit, production figures of all Detroit breweries since 1933, a glossary of technical terms, and an index.

Tonyt
Username: Tonyt

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motor City, Atwater, Detroit Beer Co (I think that's part of the Royal Oak and Rochester Beer Co. kitschy chain), Traffic Jam, home brewers galore ;)

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 403
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Copper Canyon in Southfield...excellent Root Beer...and a DELICIOUS Octoberfest

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 214
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jerrytimes, this is one of my favorite topics! :-)

Like Jams said, for past Detroit brewing history, get a copy of “Brewed in Detroit,” by Peter H. Blum.

For the most up-to-date list of current stuff, check out the directory in the Michigan Beer Guide. http://www.michiganbeerguide.c om/directory.asp

Starting at the alphabetical top, there’s Atwater Block Brewery in the Rivertown District. Their food menu is limited, but tasty. Their beers used to have a lot of diacetyl (tastes like popcorn butter), but that’s been cleaned up for awhile now. The Vanilla Porter they used to have was a huge problem for me, b/c it tasted like pop, & I could drink so much of it! They’ve since canned that chick beer (yes, I am a chick) & replaced it with a fabulous Vanilla Java Porter. They tend ot have a good selection of a variety of beers.
http://atwaterbeer.com/home.as p

There’s the Detroit Beer Company on Broadway, which you’ve already visited. Great variety of food, & always great beers. Their Local 1529 IPA is a favorite, as is the Detroit Dwarf.
http://www.detroitbeerco.com/

There’s the Motor City Brewing Works on West Canfield between Second & Cass. A unique place, unique atmosphere, & great brews. Sadly, I’ve only been there once. I must rectify that travesty. This brewery was started by the lawyer who got homebrewing legalized in the State of Michigan in 1997. Sadly, he has since passed away of cancer.
http://www.motorcitybeer.com/

Across the street is Traffic Jam & Snug. There’s a huge story involved in the history between these two breweries, which I won’t get into here. You might find old forum posts about it, & I am one of the folks who began boycotting it b/c of its rancorous relationship with MCBW. Years ago when I went there, I thought the food was good, but the beer was just okay.
http://www.trafficjamdetroit.c om/brewery.php

For more specific info on the breweries & their histories, check out the book “Michigan Breweries” by Paul Ruschmann and Maryanne Nasiatka. Although the print version is outdated, it’s a great read, & their website has updates.
http://www.michiganbreweriesbo ok.com/index.html

If you care to venture into the ‘burbs, there is a whole plethora of other breweries. My favorite is Dragonmead off 696 in Warren. You can sample several versions of a specific of beer all in one sitting, b/c they have at least a gazillion beers on tap at all times. You can bring in your own food here. It’s a whole other world of beer.
http://www.dragonmead.com/
http://www.dragonmead.com/Menu _Items.htm

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GHETTOBLASTER RULES!

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alley

Have you tried a Nutblaster? Half Ghettoblaster mixed with half Nut Brown Ale, really tasty.

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dragonmead is fantastic beer. I've loved everyone that I've tasted

Tkangas_23
Username: Tkangas_23

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Stoney Creek Brewing Company still around? That was/is brewed in the D.

Transitrider
Username: Transitrider

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atwater became Stoney Creek for a while and is Atwater again now.

Think global, drink local!

Putnam
Username: Putnam

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I make the pizza at Motor City one night a week. Ask for a classic Neopolitan Margherita. I drink the "Gear Oil" (quite sour, flemish brown) and Ghettoblater when i'z thirsty.

I could say lots of other shamelessly promotional stuff, but I don't want to be a shill.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.