Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Did anyone else see Majora Carter? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 456
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Majora Carter from Sustainable South Bronx was in Detroit during the past couple days. She gave presentations not unlike this one on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =gQ-cZRmHfs4

I was super impressed and inspired by what she has accomplished through grassroots and community based "green" efforts. Many of the challenges she faces in the South Bronx are similar to those faced in Detroit.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 459
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one saw Ms. Carter? I'm surprised given the large group at DECC's breakfast.

Majora Carter

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there Fishtoes. It was good to see you again, and I'll have to get a hold of you to talk more about what's going on with the Rouge Park Trail.

I've followed Majora Carter's work for a while and she is definitely inspiring. It seems that we have many similar initiatives here in Detroit, but I think Ms. Carter's story gives us concrete examples of how this type of work can effect real community change and should serve as great motivation to get us to step up to the next level.

I spoke with her for a bit after the presentation and was amazed by how interested and impressed she was by the work that is going on here.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.