Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » The Detroit Waterworks Park Chauncey Hulburt Memorial reborn!! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Metaldoctor
Username: Metaldoctor

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detroit1701.psc.isr.umich.edu/Hurlbut.htm

I am grateful for the opportunity to recreate all the architectural ornamental metal work that enhance and secure a national treasure such as ours. More power to the people who made this project happen.

As spring approaches we start to think of rebirth. The Detroit Waterworks Park Chauncey Hulburt has been rejuvenated and may it be a part of regeneration of the city.

This project is the first, accredited to the craftsmen of new formed the architectural ornamental metal academy and museum of Detroit opening this year.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 759
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where is it opening? I love waterworks park and wish that it would reopen it has been hidden from public view for far too long.

Detroitman32
Username: Detroitman32

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great! One more gem saved by awareness and empathy.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 677
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your pictures are wonderful to see. Did you replace the front gates that were stolen a number of years ago?

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 457
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know of plans to put the "Park" back into Waterworks Park?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 761
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fishtoes,

From My research a few years back It seemed they always looked at reopening waterworks as a security threat. It was closed during war time and then after the lake became contaminated in the they filled it in tore down the tower and closed it to the public. There have been effort made to reopen the park but to my recollection all have been unsuccessful.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6483
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the nice pics and great work Metaldoctor!

Unfortunately you got to experience something that the public at large has not been able to experience in over half a century... that is to see the Hurlbut Gate from the front (water) side with the squared off Horseshoe staircase.

Granted, it keeps the rif-raf out (like the ones that long ago stole the bust of Chauncey Hurlbut from its' central perch), but for all of us it's like a forbidden treasure that we are forbidden to view from the best angle.

And from Jefferson, the widening of Jefferson in the 30's has shorn away the landward landscaped approach.

Although I deeply appreciate that it has been restored, for most Detroiters it is just an oversided fence ornament that is only seen while whizzing down Jefferson. As I've mentioned on this forum (ad nauseum)... this Beaux Arts architectural confection suffers from a poor location, and maybe one day it can be moved to a more prominent location where it can be appreciated on a vastly greater scale. 2 locations I've always fancied are either the central landward approach or Island Floral Clock location of the Belle Isle bridge.

I've always felt that this gate (the staircase) would make a great place for Wedding photo ops.

(Message edited by Gistok on March 14, 2008)

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 458
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Urbanoutdoors. Maybe between the Jefferson East project and the Riverwalk, we'll see some success in opening this part of the river down the road.

Detroitjim
Username: Detroitjim

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing that missing is Chauncey's bust.It should be atop of the marble pedestal.
Metal thieves had stolen it sometime in the early 80's

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You did a great job metaldoctor, congrats. It would be welcome if our local media would educate it's viewers on the beauty and bounty of the city around them by short segments detailing the history and significance of the buildings, parks and statues we're mostly ignorant about. It works well on CBC, channel 9 OK. It would do loads towards appreciating the metaldoctors craft and skill. Good one.

I have about 200 postcards of Water Works Park from the early 1900s to the 1920s. Many are duplicates of the same image but printed by a different publishing company. I thought there was talk of building an academy on the grounds of WWP to educate the public about water treatment and promote interest in it as a career.

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 220
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, the restoration is great! I used to work on Jefferson 2-4 years ago, and remember seeing a tree growing out of the top of the memorial. I am glad to see that is gone in your photos.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 436
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metaldoctor- THANK YOU! The pics are fantastic. I drive past the gate quite often and smile every time I see it.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 500
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have many memories of climbing those stairs and standing on the overlook towards Jefferson. It was like a huge fort in my mind when I was a child. The park was open for some time after the war, I have pictures on the grass next to the pool when I was probably around 6 or 7 years old, early 1950's.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5266
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really really hope that it will not be trashed in the next few months. I get the feeling that it will be though. I get the feeling hood rat is going to smash those lights and ruin it.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome! When I was little I wanted to get married on the memorial because it reminded me of the top of a wedding cake. I still think it would be cool to get married up there

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 534
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great work MetalDoc.. we are lucky to have you to preserve these gems

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 289
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In regards to gems, whats the low down on the statues that were atop the Wayne County building? I heard they're being restored, they've been gone for couple years now.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/13/JMRWayneCoBldg2.jpg

(Message edited by hans57 on March 16, 2008)

Metaldoctor
Username: Metaldoctor

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Love Detroit and would love nothing more than to bring back a semblance of its former beauty and to the public's attention however, I'm only able to participate on projects that request my skills, but every once in a while I come across a project were my skills are most vital and of the greatest significance in the determining the outcome a project…..The Hurlbut Memorial in this case. Please view the attached link for more information on this project. http://www.canarthandworks.com /index_files/From_Germany_with _Love.htm

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful work Metaldoctor!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.