Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » FINALLY- Searchable Neighborhood Crime Stats! « Previous Next »
Archive through March 16, 2008Rel30 03-16-08  8:36 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3827
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you think having this information will lead you to be more inclined to watch for suspicious activity, look out for your neighbors, talk to them, pay more attention to what's going on in your neighborhood?

Nanska
Username: Nanska

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The site is still not opening for me. I just keep getting the Disclaimer page. I do so want to see what the stats are for my old neighborhood!

Lilpup

Post Number: 3829
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happens after you click on "I Agree" on the Disclaimer page? It should automatically take you to the page that starts "CrimeView Community Map Help".

It's worked fine for me this morning.

Detroits_own
Username: Detroits_own

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2/9 - 3/9 days 1/2 mile

1 assault
3 robberies
9 larcenies
9 burglaries
16 auto thefts

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5650
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if those high auto theft rates are because of that big auto theft ring that was recently shut down. They were stealing hundreds of cars. Hopefully that number will drop now.

BROKEN WINDOWS POLICING. It's the only real solution, and until it is adopted, nothing will change.

Nanska

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, when I click the "I Agree" it just goes back to the Disclaimer page. I'm cookie enabled so that should not be the problem. Am sure that the site is getting plenty of traffic, but I even tried getting into the site 3 AM Detroit time with no success.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3830
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is your computer Java enabled?

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 171
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

working for me.

393bird
Username: 393bird

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It look like "Auto Theft" is still part of Detroit Public Transportation. :-(

Nanska

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeep, Lilpup it's Java enabled, so don't know what is the problem. And I do want to see the stats. Will keep trying.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 268
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at my old neighborhood at Puritan and Wyoming. It looks like a crime-free paradise according to this map. I wonder if people in that area just don't bother reporting crime or there isn't the wealth in that area to rob?

Hmmm...

EDIT: 1/4 mile view. 1/2 mile view tells a different story

(Message edited by Crumbled_pavement on March 16, 2008)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There have been 24 incidents in the last month within a 1/2 mile radius of my home. Mostly assaults. Only one burglary. That's, oddly, reassuring.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 382
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AHA!
I've been saying for awhile that the area west of Telegraph, north of 7 Mile didn't seem all that bad. Pretty much everyone said it wasn't a good area.
Looks like I was right on this one.
Nice to see good old Palmer Woods didn't turn out too bad either.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nanska, I'm having the same problem.
After 4-5 tries I've pretty much given up. If you find what the problem is let me know. Thanks.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2007
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting findings in my neigborhood, guess i won't be doing any walking around two blocks south of me where there's been three assaults with intent to do bodily harm in the last month

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7894
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it interesting that in my area only one assault was reported to police. I am aware of three others in that time period.

How many of us have just given up calling the police regarding these incidents? I've called numerous times about break-ins to my neighbors cars and once about a break-in at a neighbor's house (I watched the guy go in the window), each time I was told that I couldn't report the incident as I was not the owner.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 270
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams said:
quote:

I've called numerous times about break-ins to my neighbors cars and once about a break-in at a neighbor's house (I watched the guy go in the window), each time I was told that I couldn't report the incident as I was not the owner.

The fack? City of Detroit employees need to learn customer service skills. Who cares who owns the house, someone other than the owner is breaking in. Damn shame...

I wonder if any suburban communities have a web site like this. That would be neat if Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb had similar info on their web sites.

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This site is great! Seems like theft is BIG business in Detroit.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3837
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of the larcenies are from cars. That's a high stat in any city of size. It's constantly the highest number in Ann Arbor's crime reports.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4819
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In today's Detroit News there was an article about people wanting more open government (mostly federal) but there was also this:
quote:

The public also overwhelmingly wants access to information like police reports of crimes committed in their neighborhoods and the lists of people who are licensed in their state to carry concealed weapons, according to a survey of 1,012 adults commissioned by the American Society of Newspaper Editors for National Sunshine Week.

Americans want less secrecy in government

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Lilpup. So people break into cars all the time? I noticed quite a few auto thefts as well.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3839
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the 2006 FBI crime reports, the highest auto vehicle theft rates, based on metro population size, occur in metro areas of population 500K to under 1 million. The next worst is for populations of 250K to under 500K.

for larcenies, excluding auto theft and paper crimes (embezzlement, check fraud, etc.):

larceny theft 06

(Message edited by lilpup on March 17, 2008)

Nanska

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would somebody please post the stats for my old neighborhood? I have tried repeatedly to open the site and all I get is the Disclaimer page everytime I click the "I Agree" button. Very annoying. But what info is needed to look at a particular area? Zip Code? Street Address? Major Cross Streets? I hope that somebody on the forum can help me out. Thanks - Nanska

Lilpup

Post Number: 3840
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A street address will work.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 555
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Either an address or an intersection (any intersection, not necessarily major cross streets).

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 356
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they going to extend beyond 30 days ever? It would be great to see 6 months or 1 year, especially for stolen vehicles. Also, the information that pops up is pretty weak. I know its a start and I applaud the effort, but there's a lot of room for improvement.

Jimaz

Post Number: 4823
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First it asks you to check any or all of the following:
Arson: Dwelling
Arson: Pers. Prop.
Arson: Prepare
Arson: Real Prop.
Assault and Battery
Assault: Felonious
Assault: Intent Bodily Harm
Assault: Intent Murder
Assault: Serious Injury
Auto Theft
Burglary: Business
Burglary: Other
Enter, No Break
Enter, No Break: Dwelling
Home Invasion
Larceny: Building
Larceny: Grand
Larceny: Person
Larceny: Simple
Larceny: Vehicle
Robbery: Armed
Robbery: Armed, Auto
Robbery: Not Armed
It then asks for either a full street address or a street and cross street.

It then asks you to specify a search distance: 500 feet, 1000 feet, 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile

It then asks you to specify a time period:

End date (most recent available) for crime data: 03/10/2008
Select the number of previous days: (1..30)
At the moment I'm getting a 'Timeout Waiting for ArcIMS response' and other errors.

Nanska

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lilpup and Bearinabox. Please bring up the info for: Dexter - Sturtevant, and Lawton - Sturtevant. I am particularly interested in home break-ins/home invasion and of course! car theft. And murder too. Am sure there will be a lot. I would though like to know why so many of us cannot get the site to open ????

Lilpup

Post Number: 3841
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you can also specify a school instead of a street address or cross streets

Bearinabox

Post Number: 556
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm getting the error message Jimaz described right now. I'll look those cross streets up if/when it starts to work again.

Nanska

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lilpup, Bearinabox and Jimaz.

It is getting late here for me here in Regensburg, so I will log on tomorrow and see if you were able to bring up the info I requested. Is the farthest back you can go 30 days?. If I am reading the post from Jimaz correctly, looks that way.

Thanks for looking up and posting the info for me. I hope that it will not be too bad, but got a feeling it will be.

Bis morgen!

Nanska

Debitdog
Username: Debitdog

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, check out wikistreetwatch.com. This is a new free web site for viewing and reporting crime incidents and other incidents effecting the quality of urban city life. Enter your zip code, street address or street intersection. When you click on the 'all-seeing-eye' over the city of Detroit, it takes you to downtown Detroit.

It was launched here in metro-Detroit first about a month ago.

Jimaz

Post Number: 4826
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, http://wikistreetwatch.com/! Seems like a great wiki project.

Yes, the farthest back you can go is 30 days.

Here are the schools from which you may choose:
ACADEMY AMERICAS
ANGELL PRIMARY
ANGELOU (area f relief)
ANN ARBOR TRAIL
AREA C ACADEMY
AREA E ACADEMY
ARTS IN ACADEMY
ATKINSON
BAGLEY
BARBOUR
BARSAMIAN
BARTON
BATES
BEARD
BEAUBIEN
BELLEVUE
BENNETT
BERRY
BETHUNE
BIDDLE
BIRNEY
BLACKWELL
BOW
BOYKIN CEC
BOYNTON
BRADY
BREITHAUPT
BREWER
BROOKS
BUNCHE
BURBANK
BURNS
BURROUGHS
BURTON
BUTZEL
CADILLAC
CAMPBELL
CARLETON
CARSTENS
CARVER
CASS
CENTRAL
CERVENY
CHADSEY
CHANDLER
CHRIST THE KING
CHRYSLER
CLARK
CLEVELAND
CLINTON
CLIPPERT
CODY
COFFEY
COLUMBIAN PRIMARY
COLUMBUS
COMMUNICATION
COOKE
COOLEY
COOLIDGE
COOPER
COURTIS
COURVILLE
CRARY
CROCKETT
DAVIS
DAVISON
DEITER
DENBY
DETROIT ACADEMY
DETROIT CITY
DETROIT OPEN
DETROIT S FINE ARTS
DETROIT SCHOOL DEAF
DEWEY
DEXTER
DIXON
DOMINICAN ACADEMY
DOSSIN
DOUGLASS
DOW
DREW
DUFFIELD
DURFEE
EARHART
EASTSIDE ACADEMY
EASTSIDE VICARIATE
EDISON
EDMONSON
EMERSON
FAIRBANKS
FAWELL
FERGUSON
FERRY
FIELD HELEN
FIELD MOSES
FINNEY
FISHER
FITZGERALD
FLEMING
FOCH
FORD ES
FORD HS
FOREIGN LANGUAGE
FOX
GARDNER
GARVEY
GENESIS
GESU
GLAZER
GOLIGHTLY CT
GOLIGHTLY CTR
GOMPERS
GOODALE
GRANT
GRAYLING
GREENFIELD PARK
GREENFIELD UNION
GUYTON
HALLY
HAMILTON
HAMPTON
HAMPTON ES
HANCOCK
HANNEMAN
HANSTEIN
HARDING
HARMS
HEALY
HENDERSON
HERMAN
HIGGINS
HIGH SCHOOL OF COMMERCE
HOLCOMB
HOLMES AL
HOLMES OW
HOLY REDEEMER
HOSMER
HOUGHTEN
HOWE
HUBERT
HUTCHINS
HUTCHINSON
IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY
JAMIESON
JEMISON MAE C
JOCOBY
JONES
JOY
JOYCE
KEIDAN
KEITH
KETERING
KING
KING ES
KOSCIUSKO
KROLIK
LARNED
LAW
LEE
LESSENGER
LODGE
LOGAN
LONGFELLOW
LOVING
LUDINGTON
LYNCH
MAAT IMHOTEP
MACCULLOCH
MACDOWELL
MACKENZIE
MACOMB
MALCOLM X
MANN
MARK TWAIN
MARQUETTE
MARSH
MARSHALL J
MARSHALL T
MARTYRS OF UGANDA CATHOLIC ACADEMY
MASON
MAYBURY
MCCOLL
MCFARLANE
MCGREGOR
MCKENNY
MCMICHAEL
MCMILLAN
MCNAIR (JACKSON)
MEDICINE BEAR
MILLER
MONNIER
MOST HOLY TRINITY
MUMFORD
MUNGER
MURPHY
MURRAY WRIGHT
NEINAS
NEWBERRY
NEWTON
NICHOLS
NOBLE
NOLAN
NORTHERN
NORTHWESTERN
O.L. QUEEN OF ANGELS
OAKMAN
OSBORN
OWEN
PARKER
PARKMAN
PARKS
PASTEUR
PELHAM
PERSHING
PHOENIX
PITCHER
POE
PRIEST
PULASKI
RANDOLPH
REDFORD
RENAISSANCE
RICHARD
RICHARDS
ROBESON
ROBINSON
ROGERS
ROSE
ROWAN
RUDDIMAN
RUTHERFORD
SAMPSON
SANDERS
SCHOOLNM
SCHULZE
SCRIPPS
SHERRARD
SHERRILL
SMITH
SOUTHEASTERN
SOUTHWESTERN
SPAIN
SS. CHRISTINE & GEMMA
SS. PETER & PAUL
ST BARTHOLOMEW
ST FRANCIS D'ASSISI
ST GERARD
ST JUDE
ST. AMBROSE ACADEMY
ST. CASIMIR
ST. CHRISTOPHER
ST. CUNEGUNDA
ST. JULIANA CONSOLIDATED
ST. LUKE & ST. BRIGID
ST. MARY OF REDFORD
ST. MATTHEW
ST. SCHOLASTICA
ST. STEPHEN/MARY MOTHER OF THE CHURCH
ST. SUZANNE
ST. THOMAS AQUTNAS
ST. VINCENT DE PAUL MIDDLE
STARK
STELLWAGEN
STEPHENS
STEWART
TAFT
THIRKELL
TRANSFIGURATION ACADEMY
TRIX
TURNER
VAN ZILE
VANDENBERG
VERNOR
VERNOR PRIMARY
VETAL
VINCENT CEC
VON STEUBEN
WASHINGTON
WAYNE
WEATHERBY
WEBBER
WEBSTER
WESTERN
WHITE
WILKINS
WINGERT
WINSHIP
WINTERHALTER
WOODWARD
YOST
YOUNG ES
YOUNG MS
YOUTH HOME SCHOOL
There are some funny names in there. :-)

Bearinabox

Post Number: 557
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nanska,
Within 1/4 mile of Dexter and Sturtevant in the past 30 days:
ASSAULT, FELONIOUS 1

ASSAULT, INTENT BODILY HARM 2

AUTO THEFT 2

LARCENY, BUILDING 1

LARCENY, PERSON 1

ROBBERY, ARMED 1

SIMPLE LARCENY 1

Grand Total 9

Within 1/4 mile of Lawton and Sturtevant in the past 30 days:
ARSON, REAL PROP 1

ASSAULT, FELONIOUS 1

ASSAULT, INTENT BODILY HARM 2

ASSAULT, INTENT MURDER 2

ASSAULT, SERIOUS INJURY 1

AUTO THEFT 1

LARCENY, PERSON 1

Grand Total 9

Nanska

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You Bearinabox.

I knew that it would be bad. There has been plenty of crime in my old neighborhood for as long as I can remember. I hope that eventually I will be able to access the info. myself though. Still keep getting the Disclaimer page when I click " I Agree"
Debitdog, thanks for the link. I will try the wikistreetwatch.com site later in the day. Hopefully I can open that site. It sounds informative.

Again, thanks for helping me out guys!

- Nanska

Debitdog
Username: Debitdog

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome, Nanska. Keep in mind that the data source for wikistreettwatch.com is the citizens in the neighborhood. The data source for CrimeView Community is the DPD.

Quality-of-life related incidents such as abandoned buildings, illegal dumping, illegal gaming, drug activity and prostitution can be reported by citizens in wikistreetwatch, in real time, just like the postings on DetroitYES. You can zoom from a bird's eye view of an area to a street corner or block, change the map to a satellite photo view, click on the incident icon and read any details provided by the poster, displayed in a pop-up info window.

Incidents remain on display in wikistreetwatch for 90 days. They remain in the wikistreetwatch MYSQL database for two years.

As the network of activists and local civic leaders builds, this info in effect will be putting neighborhood intelligence at the fingertips of the citizens.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 785
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not working for me...I can get all the way to the search part and nothing happens...

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Type in 1001 Woodward and look at all the incidents of everything downtown over the past 30 days, it's worse than any neighborhood I looked up.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's hear it for my old street (Terry & Joy Road)
ASSAULT - 3
AUTO THEFT - 5
BURGLARY - 11
LARCENY - 4
ROBBERY - 3
Grand Total - 26 crimes in 30 days within a half mile. Just wait until the snow melts!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5894
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone happen to know the murder count for the city thus far?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.