Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Ride park recruits Mich. young adults to fill 5,000 spots « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have definitely been hurting as a result of Detroit's economy. I heard rumors they'd be hiring more in this region. Several Detroit colleges are on their list of stops (available from a link in the article).

From the Detroit News:

"Cedar Point officials are pumping up their recruitment of Michigan college students, with visits to three times as many state campuses this year as they hunt for nearly 5,000 summer workers..."

"Recruiters have already been to 10 Michigan campuses and plan to stop by five more before the Sandusky, Ohio, amusement park opens. Last year, officials went to five colleges."

"The campus visits are a good way to recruit students who will likely have a hard time finding summer jobs in a state where the unemployment rate stands at 7.6 percent..."

Full Story:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080226/B IZ/802260334/1001/BIZ

(Message edited by Sean_Of_Detroit on March 15, 2008)

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 192
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're hurting? The last few times I've been there, the lines have been incredibly long. It has been since 2006, but I can't imagine that it is all that bad. Is it?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lines have been longer because they lowered ride capacity on some rides to save on maintenance. And despite lowering admission prices $5 and offering some other discounts, attendance has been slowly going down the past couple years (according to CedarFair.com). I think they are going to be hurting more in relation to resort and in park spending (food, games, souvenirs) this year.

Edit: Hurting may not be the right word, but I'm sure the're feeling it. Put Another way, their future is greatly affected by their largest market (Detroit).

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 195
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize it.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I came across an article from the Detroit News on a Cedar Point message board.

This article is about the end of the H2B Visa program, and it's affects on Michigan, and other state's Resorts, which obviously would also affect Cedar Point. I guess if you are unemployed with little education in Michigan, you may no longer have an reason for not finding work (at least for the Summer tourist season).

Link: http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080329/NEWS05/ 803290335

Quote:

'They've all been caught up in the fight in Congress over immigration. Last fall, lawmakers let lapse an exemption that allowed some past visa holders to return to their old employers each year.

"It's going to have a major effect on all of us," said Wright, speaking this week by phone from Jamaica. "It helps us support our families."

Wright-- promoted last year to front office manager at the hotel -- has worked from late April to November each year on Mackinac Island,earning nearly double what she can at home.

Last fall, Congress cut the H2B program nearly in half, leaving workers like Wright on the outside.

The number of H2B visas has been capped at 66,000 a year since 1990. Visa requests from employers have mushroomed since 2002.

Congress allowed returning workers to be exempt from the cap starting in 2004,and more than 120,000 H2B visas were granted last year. But the exemption expired in September, and Congress refused to renew it. Among many others, the change has hurt crab meat processors in Maryland, ski resorts in Colorado, circuses in California, hotels on Cape Cod and landscapers in Ohio.'

(Message edited by sean_of_detroit on March 29, 2008)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4930
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting. Does anyone know whether this has any relation to H1B visas?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4541
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're hurting because they are in OHIO.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 485
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt the H1B visa issue affects Cedar Point. The kids working at Cedar Point tend to come from the college crowd. Some of those kids make it up to Mackinac Island but much of the staff at the "premier" Mack. Island destinations come from the H1B group.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.